Water Drainage Issue

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 10:02 am
[OP]
Nov 12, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes

Water Drainage Issue

I noticed the side of my house immediately next to the garage is extremely wet after it rains. Pictures of overall water flow and area in question are attached. Only the garage seems to have wet area, all other sides of home remain dry.

This area was filled with gravel and landscape rocks by previous owner and it looks like it has sunk down a bit over time. I dug up the area and am trying to figure out what to do next about the drainage issue.

I will definately add a gutter extender and point it towards the driveway but that wont do anything about the surface water that drains into the area from the backyard. Should I add soil to this area and slope it away from house? Should I add small retaining wall border against paver so water from backyard bounces off it? Do I need to hire an expert?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Images
  • water drainage 2.JPG
  • water drainage 3.JPG
10 replies
Jul 16, 2019
986 posts
434 upvotes
Adding soil may just cause the water to pool in the backyard instead. Water is supposed to drain away from the house towards the street and back fence generally. You might consider adding a weeping tile to that area and sloping towards the street. If you can do it yourself it is very cost effective, likely to be $300-$500 incl the tile (which is actually a tube). A contractor will likely want $1k or more. Google how to install a weeping tile.
Looking at the picture, you probably want to add a extender to that downspout so the water heads towards the driveway area. Cheap solution is the rubber/plastic accordion pipes. You can also get a aluminum pipe just like the downspout. Make sure there is enough slope in the pipe to drain otherwise water will pool in the pipe and freeze and you will have water/ice backed up on your roof.
Looking at the state of the area, wonder if the previous owner had a basement leak and that area was dug up for the basement to be sealed from the outside.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16578 posts
18144 upvotes
Oakville
It might be enough to just extend your downspout away from your house.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
vernonco wrote:
Looking at the state of the area, wonder if the previous owner had a basement leak and that area was dug up for the basement to be sealed from the outside.
Hmmm...not sure. There is no basement area under the garage. Basement overall seems to be leak free (have lived here for a few years and havent yet had a issue).

Will definately add extra drainage pipe and extend towards driveway.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9015 posts
745 upvotes
engineered wrote: It might be enough to just extend your downspout away from your house.
Agree. I did the same to extend all downspouts near porch and from backyard away from the house to the front lawn and driveway. Everything seems working.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11544 posts
3248 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Watch a bunch of the videos here it will give you ideas and how to fix your issue properly, bye using solid pipe and not the black cheap stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQYkF1 ... yHw/videos

But you will want to extend the downspout to the driveway so it flows out but hard to see how easy/hard that will be without more photos of that area. As for the neighbors if you have grass/dirt in the back you could cut a swale so the water will be brought to the front, you could also put in a french drain and have it go to the front street or driveway. There are a few options.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1657 posts
749 upvotes
GTA
Water will always drain to the lowest and easiest point, so since you have that interlocked portion in your picture and the downspout isn't extended beyond that interlock, it WILL pool there and leave it all wet. Where is that first picture in relation to your drawing?
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21826 posts
402 upvotes
Newmarket
I would put a rain barrel there. its wasted space anyways and the storage of water will take pressure off that area for drainage.

heck even if you put some water thirsty plants/shrubs there it might improve enough.
[OP]
Nov 12, 2017
8 posts
3 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Water will always drain to the lowest and easiest point, so since you have that interlocked portion in your picture and the downspout isn't extended beyond that interlock, it WILL pool there and leave it all wet. Where is that first picture in relation to your drawing?
The picture is the side of the garage. So from the drawing its where that one arrow where water flow from backyard and neighbours hits side of house(garage).
Jan 21, 2011
653 posts
277 upvotes
GTA
Flowers, rain barrel and extend downspout along side of house to driveway, just hide it behind the plants.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2774 posts
929 upvotes
Windsor
The amount of water coming from that downspout should dwarf the runoff from everyone's yard by a lot. Depending on how much grade you have, you might consider lifting a bunch of those interlocking bricks and run a pipe under the walkway. I have a downspout that I unfortunately have to run over my sidewalk for the time being, and there is an ice issue in the winter.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.