• Jan 3rd, 2018 3:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3098 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa

Water Filtration for Steamer and Humidifier

I have a desktop kitchen steamer that I use every day, and I recently started using a warm mist humidifier as well. In an effort to prolong their life (or at least mitigate the need for constant maintenance) I fill them both using a Brita pitcher. But I'm not sure if this really does any good at all – there's still plenty of water scale (iron, I suppose?) building up in the humidifier.

If this does actually do any good, is there a better way of doing it? The humidifier is two gallons and I have to empty the pitcher a couple of times to fill it up.
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16020 posts
17275 upvotes
Oakville
The scale is likely calcium deposits. Normally you want minerals in drinking water so the Brita is designed to remove chlorine, lead, etc.
If you want prevent mineral buildup you'd need distilled water or water from a reverse osmosis system.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3098 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa
Aren't calcium deposits generally white? These are definitely brownish.

I gather reverse osmosis systems don't come cheap.
Mar 19, 2013
696 posts
209 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
We use a desktop cool mist humidifier. We use distilled water, rinse it out before refilling. Every week or so, clean tank with bleach/water, base with vinegar/water. They require regular maintenance. Distilled water runs us about $2/4L. If one uses a lot of water, distilled may not be an option.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16020 posts
17275 upvotes
Oakville
Jorpho wrote: Aren't calcium deposits generally white? These are definitely brownish.

Oh, if it's brownish it could be copper algae from your pipes, or just mould growing in the humidifier. Either way your should regularly clean it out.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12220 posts
6757 upvotes
Brampton
Jorpho wrote: Aren't calcium deposits generally white? These are definitely brownish.

Actually they do come cheap
https://www.costco.ca/Watts-Premier-5-s ... 65520.html

This is a like the Geo Metro of RO units tho.

I started off with this set and over the course of 5 years have upgraded to 0 air gap faucet and added a permeate pump. Replaced stock membrane with a higher output membrane and regulator (very cheap to do)

Overall I've spent about $300 on RO between the upgrades and filters. Don't let people fool you in to thinking you need expensive installs.

Also red stains could be signs of high iron in your water. It takes time for the iron to settle out of it. Where are you located.