• Oct 10th, 2018 4:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1684 posts
365 upvotes
South Western Ontari…

Water heater buyout

I am having issue with water heater company Sandpiper solutions. I had a buyout quote given to me back in September of 2017 and decided to just rent because I didnt want to pay $4623 including hst. Its a tankless water heater btw.

Fast forward last week I received the bill for Feb and they jacked up rental by $5/month and called to inquire why the increase and apparently they are "allowed" to increase rental cost 3.5% every 12 months. I was not aware of this because this is a new build and house was contracted out to these guys for renting.

Anyway I requested another buyout quote and they actually raised the cost to $5153 including hst. I am just getting run around that so called "manager" will contact me which they never did and saying last quote was incorrect... I am not paying more for almost a year old unit because I moved in May of 2017.

What are my options here?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7442 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
soupmaster666 wrote: Tell them to come take it out of your house, hire a plumber to install a hot water tank, and pocket the $3500 difference.
It’s not that simple. Once you made the first payment, you basically accepted the terms of the contract which in most cases are for 15 years

All these rental companies have a clause where they can increase the rent annually.

I would call them back and ask for a buy out schedule. Be persistent and negotiate
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1891 posts
186 upvotes
Gee wrote: It’s not that simple. Once you made the first payment, you basically accepted the terms of the contract which in most cases are for 15 years

All these rental companies have a clause where they can increase the rent annually.

I would call them back and ask for a buy out schedule. Be persistent and negotiate
Thought the contract is signed when you buy the house not when you make the first payment. Are you saying I could of asked enercare to remove the water-heater tank before I made the first payment? The buyout is $3500 for the tank.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33799 posts
7442 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
reggyDeal wrote: Thought the contract is signed when you buy the house not when you make the first payment. Are you saying I could of asked enercare to remove the water-heater tank before I made the first payment? The buyout is $3500 for the tank.
Contract is technically signed between the builder and Enercare. The contract is transferred to you when you take possession. You agree to the transfer on the bill of sale but you don’t have to agree on the terms.

Once you make the initial payment, you agree to the terms.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
4953 posts
1490 upvotes
0 downvotes
the problem is, in Ontario the builders put those rental tanks in there and you basically have no say, you automatically get the rental tank upon purchase, there is no way to negociate with the builder or developer to change the rental tank. if there was, lots of people would not be in this situation we are currently in
Hi
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10213 posts
5438 upvotes
Paris
But you can’t be forced into rental terms agreed to by someone else. Until you make a payment you don’t agree to the terms.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2442 posts
1412 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You agree to take over the terms of the rental when you sign the Purchase Agreement, there's a paragraph that says you agree to execute all required documents and/or contracts for the rental or lease to own of the water heater. It's the same with resale homes that have a rental
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
2929 posts
697 upvotes
Toronto
Just moved into a new home and it's exactly that. I read an older post on RFD:
For you Ontario residents, if you purchased a new or used home and are taking over the hot water tank rental contract, you have 10 days from the day you received a copy of the contract to cancel it and have them remove the tank for free.

Read your rights at Consumer Protection Ontario
https://www.ontario.ca/page/your-rights ... g-contract
Is this not still valid?

I got the letter yesterday from Reliance and I'm going to call them tonight and tell them to come pick up their water tank.
My tank has a "inspect at 2014/2019" so my guess is, it was installed in 2009, so I'm not going to keep it. I'm going to get a quote for tankless anyway,
Oct 19, 2013
370 posts
61 upvotes
I just moved into a new home and have not received the T&Cs or bill from Simply Green. I've called them 2 times to pickup their water heater as I don't want it and a "manager" is supposed to call me back. I've also documented this by sending them an email within 10 days of moving into the home.

I'm still waiting to receive my account number and going to fight it using the CPA.

Any updates from the OP?
Oct 9, 2018
1 posts
Re: Simply Green and last poster.

Did you manage to get out of your contract? What were the terms you ended up with?