None
[OP]
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
180 upvotes
onatrio

water heater leak

I have a 11 year mattamy home Mississauga....with a rental water heater from embridge...its leaking a bit
curious because its a rental....does embridge service it for free and if it needs replacing is it free or am I on the hook..thanks
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1294 posts
724 upvotes
Oshawa
Yes to both...its their equipment...not yours.
Feb 9, 2006
164 posts
50 upvotes
Yes and don't call Enbridge, it's Enercare to save a phone call
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4136 posts
1678 upvotes
Toronto
Call them and tell them to haul their P.O.S. outta your house.

Then do yourself a favour, goto Lowes and buy a GSW tank and be rent free forever.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3762 posts
881 upvotes
Toronto
dcjcdc wrote: I have a 11 year mattamy home Mississauga....with a rental water heater from embridge...its leaking a bit
curious because its a rental....does embridge service it for free and if it needs replacing is it free or am I on the hook..thanks
Our gas Enercare water heater is 10 years old. No leaks so far. We were told that if it does leak and it can be repaired, it will be. If not, it will be replaced, but it would be replaced with a newer gas water heater that has an electric start.

The basic installation would not be charged, it is the additional work that we would have to pay for to bring a new unit up to code.

I would deal with this issue fast in your case.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
Shut off the water and drain the tank immediately. If the tank is leaking from the bottom, and not from a fitting, the whole thing is junk and has to be replaced.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10027 posts
915 upvotes
Toronto
10 years is about the end of life of hot water heater.. lots of sediments on the bottom of the tank.

as other rfder said, get rid of it, buy one from homedepot / lowes.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8727 posts
5120 upvotes
ON
akito925 wrote: 10 years is about the end of life of hot water heater.. lots of sediments on the bottom of the tank.

as other rfder said, get rid of it, buy one from homedepot / lowes.
Electric ones last longer than gas, and then it depends on hardness of water in the area. 10 years is only half life for some tanks depending on use and quality.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote: I have a 11 year mattamy home Mississauga....with a rental water heater from embridge...its leaking a bit
Yes as a rental they will come and replace it for free. Assuming it is power vent gas, if you still have ABS (black) vent piping they will change that over to the CPVC (white) piping, and that won't be free. They will provide a quote. If the connection to the vent fan is just a rubber coupling with steel hose clamps, you can replace all that yourself ahead of time to save a bit of $.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2687 upvotes
Vancouver
Leaks in the tank are not repairable, replace immediately. A leak from a fitting joint might be repairable.

Tank life is highly variable. My last gas hot water heater was a cheap basic model, and it was 24 years old when it finally sprang a leak and needed replacing. But the one before that was similar and only lasted 9 years.

It helps if you change the anode rod(s) on schedule to help prevent tank corrosion, and drain the sediment regularly. These problems are worse in areas with hard water and a lot of sediment in the water (especially in the spring).

A lower tank temperature makes it last longer, and also helps reduce the occurrence of leaks from joints due to extreme thermal cycling. But health experts recommend keeping the tank temperature high to prevent potential growth of harmful bacteria like Legionella.
Jan 3, 2005
708 posts
129 upvotes
Tanks usually start leaking from the cheap plastic drain valve. Check there first and replace it with a brass valve. Spending a few bucks and installing the valve will probably be less of a headache than calling for service.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
1215 posts
434 upvotes
Anyone can recommend how to reduce or kill my rental tank which is 8 years old and I will pay rental fee for "useful life", which could be another 10 years... I'd prefer to get out but my buyout is $550 or 850 if I want to buyout and keep the tank. Ridiculous.

I bought into the house that previous owners rented, in case you were curious.
"A festivus for the rest of us"

Items for Sale: