None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5062 posts
1647 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Water leak on ceiling by fireplace

I have a leak coming through the ceiling very close to my fireplace/chimney. This is in one of the rooms on the main floor. The room directly above it is a bedroom.

Do I call in the chimney guys to take a look, or roofing guys, to determine where the leak is and what the fix is?
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5156 posts
2885 upvotes
GTA
So the room above the fireplace has no leak just the one below? How old is the house?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1839 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
I would call the roofing guy. I'm thinking its a flashing issue around the chimney which could be addressed by then.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5062 posts
1647 upvotes
Richmond Hill
shabby wrote: So the room above the fireplace has no leak just the one below? How old is the house?
Correct, the room above has no visible water damage. Nothing on the ceiling, nor on the wall above the leak underneath.

House is around 30-40 y.o.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5062 posts
1647 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PCUSER wrote: I would call the roofing guy. I'm thinking its a flashing issue around the chimney which could be addressed by then.
Sounds reasonable. I did have the roof reshingled a few years back (around 6ish). Perhaps they didn't reshingle properly? Or just shoddy install? I guess I won't know until I get a roofing guy up there.

Assuming it's a flashing issue, what's the typical job cost to fix?
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1839 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
If it is a flashing issue it could be a quick fix. In fact it could be as easy as re caulking around the flashing where it is attached to the side of the chimney itself.
If you can get up there yourself go have a look. If it's not at least you got the right guys there that are good at finding root cause and ultimately fixing leaks.