Water leak sensor and water shutoff controller

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 5:06 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2010
824 posts
272 upvotes

Water leak sensor and water shutoff controller

Hi- looking for a smart water leak detector for the bathrooms and remote water shutoff valve controller.

I have mostly zwave/SmartThings compatible smart devices but not finding anything and can live with a separate app for the (hopefully) rare times I need to access these devices.

Came across the following…any thoughts on these or alternatives?

$43 Gowfeel WiFi Smart Valve WiFi Control Water Valve Compatible with Alexa, Google and Application Program iOS/Android https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SG48KSW/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

$121 Smart Leak Sensors, YoLink 1/4 Mile World's Longest Range Wireless Smart Water Leak Sensor Compatible with Alexa and IFTTT Leak Detector with App Alerts and Remote Monitor, 4 Pack, YoLink Hub Included https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B084WYB8PM/ref ... KK2BTV1RY7
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3972 posts
1389 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Nice these look good. I have gate valves but I'd like an auto shutoff too
Apr 2, 2016
41 posts
11 upvotes
I use aqara sensors (zigbee) with my SmartThings hub. You need to get third party device handlers installed for them but there are plenty of guides to use. They run about 20 bucks a pop, I got mine from ******** on a “sale”.

As far as water valves zwave/zigbee ones are very expensive and probably not worth it, compared to the WiFi ones.

One thing you will need to consider is if you are OK with using hardware (sensors, valve) that’s using cloud execution instead of local. WiFi devices and anything in SmartThings with custom device handlers requires a network connection to work. If you don’t want to rely on that you’d need to look at other hub options like Hubitat or home assistant.
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11367 posts
2833 upvotes
Kingston
briodan wrote: I use aqara sensors (zigbee) with my SmartThings hub. You need to get third party device handlers installed for them but there are plenty of guides to use. They run about 20 bucks a pop, I got mine from ******** on a “sale”.

As far as water valves zwave/zigbee ones are very expensive and probably not worth it, compared to the WiFi ones.

One thing you will need to consider is if you are OK with using hardware (sensors, valve) that’s using cloud execution instead of local. WiFi devices and anything in SmartThings with custom device handlers requires a network connection to work. If you don’t want to rely on that you’d need to look at other hub options like Hubitat or home assistant.
I got some aqara leak sensors but haven't got them to work with SmartThings.
Can you please provide some details on how you got them to work. Thanks in advance.
Apr 14, 2009
237 posts
116 upvotes
Vaughan
I've had amazing luck with the Dome valve and sensors. Seamless integration into my Wink environment.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1071 posts
268 upvotes
Vancouver
The Dome leak sensor is $35 each....a large detached house would need ~10-15...which can be quite expensive.

Any cheaper alternatives?
coffeeguy wrote: I've had amazing luck with the Dome valve and sensors. Seamless integration into my Wink environment.