• Aug 26th, 2021 3:06 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 16, 2006
241 posts
99 upvotes
Scarborough

Water leak...who to call

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed water spots on my basement ceiling in the bathroom and hallway.

Last night, I also noticed a spot in a bedroom on the main floor that has black mold and visible water damage...where the wall meets the baseboards. Who do I call? A plumber?

I'm in Scarborough. Would prefer referrals rather than calling someone off google search.

TIA
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1688 posts
1146 upvotes
Manitoba
Ghostbusters! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

....Seriously though, get a handyman or plumber to check/fix where the leak is.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
You need to find where water is coming from. It can be from supply pipe, drain pipe, the roof, the window, etc.
If you aren't capable of finding the leak yourself, call a handyman / handywoman.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26067 posts
10753 upvotes
Socially Distanced
TehRFDAnomaly wrote: Ghostbusters! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

....Seriously though, get a handyman or plumber to check/fix where the leak is.
Came here to say exactly this Smiling Face With Sunglasses
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
I really don't know but I'm guessing you can start with a general contractor because you don't know where the leak is coming from. I don't know how you would go about finding one though. Hopefully somebody can suggest one soon.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Mar 16, 2006
241 posts
99 upvotes
Scarborough
Thanks. I've called a plumber and will see what they say.

Keep the recommendations coming especially if you know of a plumber or handyman personally, have used their services and were satisfied.

I'm by the Bluffs in Scarborough
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9962 upvotes
Edmonton
ds2chan wrote: I really don't know but I'm guessing you can start with a general contractor because you don't know where the leak is coming from. I don't know how you would go about finding one though. Hopefully somebody can suggest one soon.
Pretty sure you're not going to find a "general contractor" who's going to look into your water leak. A general contractor is someone who manages over a construction project, handling all the trades and materials and coordinating the build. They might have great connections for getting a plumber and drywaller in (assuming it's a pipe leaking), but they're not going to waste their time for a two day job. It would be like hiring a lawyer to handle your $50 speeding ticket.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2764 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Pretty sure you're not going to find a "general contractor" who's going to look into your water leak. A general contractor is someone who manages over a construction project, handling all the trades and materials and coordinating the build. They might have great connections for getting a plumber and drywaller in (assuming it's a pipe leaking), but they're not going to waste their time for a two day job. It would be like hiring a lawyer to handle your $50 speeding ticket.

C
Oh... I thought general contractors can do little things and have general knowledge of how to fix certain things. Then if it's a big job they'll call in their team, like a plumber or roofer.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4946 posts
1844 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
BDSL wrote: You need to find where water is coming from. It can be from supply pipe, drain pipe, the roof, the window, etc.
If you aren't capable of finding the leak yourself, call a handyman / handywoman.
This, could be any of the above. Even something a simple as deteriorated caulking.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
fergy wrote: This, could be any of the above. Even something a simple as deteriorated caulking.
Exactly. Go in the attic. Go on the roof. Look at the windows/doors caulking. Look at the siding caulking.
A plumber will not do all that.....
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9962 upvotes
Edmonton
ds2chan wrote: Oh... I thought general contractors can do little things and have general knowledge of how to fix certain things. Then if it's a big job they'll call in their team, like a plumber or roofer.
That would be a handy(wo)man. Totally different. And very different price points, too. :)

C