Home & Garden

Water Line run from Refrigerator to bathroom

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 5:14 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
1 posts

Water Line run from Refrigerator to bathroom

I have a refrigerator on the other side of the bathroom wall. I want to run the water line down the inside of the wall, under the floor and up under the bathroom sink. How can i drop the line in the wall easily. Is this doable?
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4289 posts
849 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Open up the drywall behind the fridge.
Open up the ceiling drywall from the basement between the fridge and bathroom (assuming there is a basement).
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1871 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
Is the basement finished? Why do you feel the need to run this to your bathroom?

What you want is a 1/4 turn shutoff valve in the wall behind the fridge properly plumbed in like the supply lines to a sink or toilet.

So, if your basement is unfinished (I assume so if you make no mention of any challenge with routing the line to the bathroom) put a 1/2 inch PEX or copper cold supply into the wall behind the fridge. Install a standard shutoff valve in the wall and connect the fridge to this with a nice long braided stainless steel flexible line. It will never burst/crimp etc. that will eventually happen to those crap flexible copper lines people use for fridge water supplies.
Apr 19, 2018
347 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
I'm into keeping it simple. Drill a small hole in the floor behind the fridge near the baseboard, run the 1/4" supply line through it to the basement and hook it up to a reducing tee valve in the nearest cold water supply line. Of course, this presumes the basement is either unfinished or only has a drop ceiling giving easy access to services.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1871 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
Enlgma wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:54 am
I'm into keeping it simple. Drill a small hole in the floor behind the fridge near the baseboard, run the 1/4" supply line through it to the basement and hook it up to a reducing tee valve in the nearest cold water supply line. Of course, this presumes the basement is either unfinished or only has a drop ceiling giving easy access to services.
Yup, this works too. Still have to cut into an existing cold supply line, install a T / valve, drill a hole, etc. so IMHO might as well run the copper or pex up into the kitchen wall, but passing the flexible (not copper but rather a proper reinforced 1/4 line) line from the fridge through the floor would work. Just need extra length.

I think RFD admins need to create a feature that locks a thread like this if the OP doesn't chime in once in a while after asking for advice.

I'm beginning to think perhaps RFD creates dummy accounts to create threads like this (note the OP has 1 post) just to lure us into creating more content for the site / material for search engines to scrape.
Apr 19, 2018
347 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
torontotim wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:33 am
I think RFD admins need to create a feature that locks a thread like this if the OP doesn't chime in once in a while after asking for advice.

I'm beginning to think perhaps RFD creates dummy accounts to create threads like this (note the OP has 1 post) just to lure us into creating more content for the site / material for search engines to scrape.
Makes sense. I have seen a few very simple requests where that is the only posting from the OP.
Apr 19, 2018
347 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
@FrankB95700 [OP] Is there a basement? If so, is the ceiling accessible from below the kitchen?
Apr 19, 2018
347 posts
259 upvotes
Kitchener/Waterloo, …
torontotim wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:33 am
Yup, this works too. Still have to cut into an existing cold supply line, install a T / valve, drill a hole, etc. so IMHO might as well run the copper or pex up into the kitchen wall, but passing the flexible (not copper but rather a proper reinforced 1/4 line) line from the fridge through the floor would work. Just need extra length.
I always try to find something simple yet with some flexibility since ye who rules the roost seems to think everything has to be moved around periodically. Moving the fridge becomes more of a commitment when permanent plumbing has been added to a specific place.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1871 posts
1000 upvotes
Toronto
Enlgma wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:14 pm
I always try to find something simple yet with some flexibility since ye who rules the roost seems to think everything has to be moved around periodically. Moving the fridge becomes more of a commitment when permanent plumbing has been added to a specific place.
I did mine as part of a full gut job reno. Nothing is moving while I still own the house ;) Mine is actually in the wall, so all I would need to do is cut and cap the copper and close up the wall.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2585 posts
564 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
i second to make a small hole in the floor and fish the water supply line into the basement and make the connections there.
Hi