Home & Garden

Water seeping in basement floor

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 12:07 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2021
7 posts

Water seeping in basement floor

We bought this house in the spring and the basement was dry with no sign of water damage. The house is on a hill with a walkout and we had no water until a few weeks ago after a heavy rain. It comes up in the center of the floor, away from the walls and on the walkout end of the house. We have no sub pump. The water has no colour or smell and has happened a few times now. I can't see the concrete in the spot because it has vinyl flooring. Before ripping up the floor, or paying someone to waterproof, any ideas? I live in Mount Forest if anyone knows of a good company to call.
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8038 posts
9011 upvotes
Montréal
damaged slab? Clogged drain? Cracked faoundation, and water goes there? many issues can cause this, you'll have to investigate.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Age of house? Foundation type (poured concrete or block)?
Usually blocked or poorly directed evestroughs and downspouts are the primary cause of water infiltration in summer.
[OP]
May 13, 2021
7 posts
The house was built in the 70s, it's a poured concrete foundation. The eaves trough are cleared and the downspouts all run away from the house. Thanks for the replies!
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1680 posts
4101 upvotes
You should give RCC Waterproofing a call. They'll probably be able to tell you over the phone what's going on. I've used them in the past, they did excellent work.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13086 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
Could it maybe be the weeping tile around the house is connected to the water pipes in the home? I think they may have done this sort of thing year ago. You could have a drain in the middle of the basement that's backing up. Will likely need to scope it and see if you can find something.
Dec 26, 2012
631 posts
562 upvotes
Hamilton
Hambone wrote: You should give RCC Waterproofing a call. They'll probably be able to tell you over the phone what's going on. I've used them in the past, they did excellent work.
you had a better experience than me then. i had them come over and they didn't know the exact issue so they wanted to correct everything. their quote was $70K and was $40K higher than the next highest.
Mar 10, 2004
819 posts
304 upvotes
ateeter2 wrote: It comes up in the center of the floor, away from the walls and on the walkout end of the house. We have no sub pump. The water has no colour or smell and has happened a few times now. I can't see the concrete in the spot because it has vinyl flooring.
Are you saying the water is coming up thru the vinyl flooring or is there a drain there? Be more specific about the walkout at end of house.
[OP]
May 13, 2021
7 posts
Thanks so much for the responses. I had someone scope the drain and it had a break under the foundation. No idea how it happened but since the water softener drains through it, water would go down and sit under there, slowly seeping up as it couldn't drain away fast enough.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6574 posts
6048 upvotes
ateeter2 wrote: Thanks so much for the responses. I had someone scope the drain and it had a break under the foundation. No idea how it happened but since the water softener drains through it, water would go down and sit under there, slowly seeping up as it couldn't drain away fast enough.
Interesting. How much will that cost and how will they go about fixing it?
Feb 4, 2018
403 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
In 2018, we hired Aquatech Waterproofing to hand dig the perimeter on 3 sides of our home, replace old weeping tiles, install a waterproof barrier and backfill soil. The hand-digging was necessary due to space limitations. Incredibly hard-working crew: wrapped up everything in 4 days (two of those days they worked 10-11 hours). We live in Toronto, I don't know if they service your area, but perhaps they could recommend a reliable company that does. We have much respect for their work ethic and quality of work.
The ocean is calling.........and I must go.