Automotive

Water spots?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2015 7:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely

Water spots?

Hey guys, need some help here. Took my wife's car out this morning and noticed some rust coloured splashes here and there on the front passenger side - when I cleaned them off, there was a residue left underneath. Now I'm finding these spots in various places (roof, trunk, rear glass, hood, front quarter panel)... but all on the passenger side. Not sure if maybe where she parks there is a rusty pipe dripping or something? Anyway, I'm assuming these are water spots and nothing more at this point, but I can't get them off. I've been trying to locate some water spot remover locally but with little luck... I'm attaching some photos below, anyone have any comments or ideas on what this is, and how to remove it? The car is only 5 months old so I'd like to get it cleaned up... thanks in advance for any help.

Image

Image

Image
19 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
u can use a quick detailer, or a spray wax on paint

invisible glass on the glass

edit: u can also hand polish the water spots out
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
jswift79 wrote: u can use a quick detailer, or a spray wax on paint

invisible glass on the glass

edit: u can also hand polish the water spots out
I tried invisible glass on the glass, no luck. Any suggestions for a spray wax?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
Do you park under a tree?

Btw nice brembo calipers
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
steve-0101 wrote: I tried invisible glass on the glass, no luck. Any suggestions for a spray wax?
i like the Meguiar's Final Inspection M34, and Ultimate Quick Detailer. u can get those at Part Source

u can get the 1 gallon jugs online of the same stuff for $34-ish
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
Swswswish wrote: Do you park under a tree?

Btw nice brembo calipers
I don't think she did... always parked in our garage or in her above ground covered parking lot @ work. Just weird that it's only in certain spots.

Thanks, but they're not brembo... they're stock VW calipers (GLI)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
jswift79 wrote: i like the Meguiar's Final Inspection M34, and Ultimate Quick Detailer. u can get those at Part Source

u can get the 1 gallon jugs online of the same stuff for $34-ish
Alright, I'll check that out... so no need for the true water spot remover stuff then?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
steve-0101 wrote: Alright, I'll check that out... so no need for the true water spot remover stuff then?
u can try a water spot remover if u want. i always thought "water spot remover" were re-labeled detailer sprays lol

i had water spots that were etched into the bumper, and used Meguiar's ScratchX to take them off
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 7, 2007
3203 posts
883 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
I had a similar situation but mine were big spots and I had a few on the roof and front hood. Took it in to the mechanic and they tried to get rid of it with some fluid but failed. However if you live in the Markham, there's a car wash below pmall that they helped me remove it.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 27, 2006
6225 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Try a clay bar, or white vinegar. But note you will need to rewax.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
19320 posts
3007 upvotes
Woodbridge
Clay Bar and Polish should take care of it.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if CLR would take those off.

Looks like rain drops pretty much boiled/baked on the paint.

Cooking and leaving whatever dissolved minerals/pollutants there might have been in it or on the car.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22391 posts
3267 upvotes
They may be etched below the surface if that is what's left once you removed it. If that's the case a polish is the best option. Then wax or seal the paint to prevent future damage.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
An update....

Went out this morning and bought Meguiars Final Inspection, bottle said it would treat water spots, no luck. Moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound, worked like a charm with a bit of elbow grease. Invisible glass slowly worked the spots of the glass... after about 10 applications and some severe rubbing. Finished with a Mother's Caranuba Wash and Wax to clean it all up.

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'd still like to know what caused it, to make sure it doesn't happen again!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 11, 2008
1375 posts
282 upvotes
Mississauga
steve-0101 wrote: An update....

Went out this morning and bought Meguiars Final Inspection, bottle said it would treat water spots, no luck. Moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound, worked like a charm with a bit of elbow grease. Invisible glass slowly worked the spots of the glass... after about 10 applications and some severe rubbing. Finished with a Mother's Caranuba Wash and Wax to clean it all up.

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'd still like to know what caused it, to make sure it doesn't happen again!
congrats! on removing the water spots. Ultimate Compound takes a little layer off the clear coat and levels out a new surface. u can use the Final Inspection for touchups after a car wash, or a lubricant for claying

does your wife park in a place that has automatic lawn sprinkers?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22391 posts
3267 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: An update....

Went out this morning and bought Meguiars Final Inspection, bottle said it would treat water spots, no luck. Moved to Meguiars Ultimate Compound, worked like a charm with a bit of elbow grease. Invisible glass slowly worked the spots of the glass... after about 10 applications and some severe rubbing. Finished with a Mother's Caranuba Wash and Wax to clean it all up.

Want to thank everyone for their suggestions. I'd still like to know what caused it, to make sure it doesn't happen again!
Get some Sonax net shield or a wax on there ASAP and prevent anything like that from sticking.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1839 posts
275 upvotes
Markham
Does your wife drive on the hiway to get to work or recently?
I've seen some pretty crappy and disgusting looking garbage disposal trucks driving along and dripping stuff along the road
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
PCUSER wrote: Does your wife drive on the hiway to get to work or recently?
I've seen some pretty crappy and disgusting looking garbage disposal trucks driving along and dripping stuff along the road
Yes, she drives the 404/401/yonge every day.... but that makes sense since the spots were directional, like it hit the car at speed and streaked along...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 12, 2007
6143 posts
878 upvotes
Greely
jswift79 wrote: congrats! on removing the water spots. Ultimate Compound takes a little layer off the clear coat and levels out a new surface. u can use the Final Inspection for touchups after a car wash, or a lubricant for claying

does your wife park in a place that has automatic lawn sprinkers?
No, it's a covered above ground parking lot...

Top