• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 11:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
77 upvotes

Water tank replacement or repair

Hey guys. I have a water heater about 18 years old and have a bit of a leak. What do you guys think, replace or repair? I am leaning towards replacing, just b/c the tank is old. While I don't want to spend unnecessary money, maybe it'll just be a matter of time.. Also, any recommendations for companies in the Markham / Richmondhill area? Thx.
5 replies
Feb 25, 2004
691 posts
219 upvotes
Longueuil
Replace it. I am not even sure if you can fix a leak on a water heater (it might be wrong though) but at 18 years do not spend money to fix a leak. That tank had a good life, let it rest in peace now.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10152 posts
2183 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Where is it leaking from?

At 18years its time to replace it,
Phoenix3434 wrote: Hey guys. I have a water heater about 18 years old and have a bit of a leak. What do you guys think, replace or repair? I am leaning towards replacing, just b/c the tank is old. While I don't want to spend unnecessary money, maybe it'll just be a matter of time.. Also, any recommendations for companies in the Markham / Richmondhill area? Thx.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2182 posts
214 upvotes
Kitchener
It might be fixable depending one where the leak is however it might be a good idea to start looking.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2646 posts
77 upvotes
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.. Guys in the GTA - do you have any good recommendations for a company to do the replacement?
Feb 11, 2018
859 posts
743 upvotes
Phoenix3434 wrote: Hey guys. I have a water heater about 18 years old and have a bit of a leak. What do you guys think, replace or repair? I am leaning towards replacing, just b/c the tank is old. While I don't want to spend unnecessary money, maybe it'll just be a matter of time.. Also, any recommendations for companies in the Markham / Richmondhill area? Thx.
Definitely replace ASAP. At 18 years you are lucky the bottom of the tank didn't fall off in one piece and flood your whole basement while you were at work and of course never gave a second thought to installing something like a Leakbreaker to prevent that.

You didn't say what kind of water heater your have. Is it electric? Natural gas power vent, direct vent, etc? Btw if you have a power vent you might want to switch to a direct vent if possible. No vapor sensor, no electricity needed. So no noise compared to a power vent and during a blackout if you do not have a generator you will still have hot water.
"I would die for you" - B. Adams