Home & Garden

Water Treatment/Softener: Kinetico, Calmat, or other suggestions?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2020 12:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
69 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa

Water Treatment/Softener: Kinetico, Calmat, or other suggestions?

Any suggestions for a home water treatment system, to include water softener, iron remover and possibly reverse osmosis system? I live in Ontario in a two-storey house with well water. Not great water at all.

Has anyone direct experience with Kinetico, Calmat or similar? I know there are some differences but I need some really good info please, big purchase and can't trust too much out there in terms of reviews. Thank you in advance!

I have been with Culligan on a 5-yr lease because the previous owners got into this contract and didn't disclose the information until after. Basically, $180 per month over 5 years, with previous owners paying for the first year. Buyout next month is $4200 for a grand total of ownership of $14,760. Yes, you read that right: $14,760.
6 replies
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
69 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
blind56 wrote: Far from any expert on this, but here's what I came up with on price....
Fleck 5600 SXT 1cu.ft = $1039
Aqualux 5 stage RO system = $309
Iron + Sulphur Filter = $1299

Subtotal = $2647 w/o tax, incl Free Shipping, maybe say $500 for install?

Only one of those I've got experience with is the Water Softener, haven't had any issues with it at all.
Wow, I'll check those out. Thanks!
[OP]
Mar 7, 2011
69 posts
46 upvotes
Ottawa
I've spent $10,800 on a Culligan water treatment system after 5 years. To buy it out they want $5,598 plus tax. I told them to come pick it up.

Tell me this isn't the biggest rip off! This is absolutely ridiculous. There's a thread about the Great Water Heater Scam, please people beware of leasing your water heater too. I understand you may end up having to lease it from a previous owner.