• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 8:24 am
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote

Water treatment system - any recommendations

Hi,

I'm looking for water treatment system for my new home in richmond hill and wanted to check if there is any recommended one like kinetico.

heard of rainsoft but seems very expensive. Any thoughts on this ?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
What is your goal? Your municipal water should be around 100-150 ppm.
Are you trying to further reduce particles? Or just trying to reduce chlorine?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3442 posts
2219 upvotes
Mississauga
abhijeet88 wrote: Hi,

I'm looking for water treatment system for my new home in richmond hill and wanted to check if there is any recommended one like kinetico.

heard of rainsoft but seems very expensive. Any thoughts on this ?
municipal water is pretty good and potable. if you dont like the taste of chlorine, then add some 2 or 3 stage under sink filter to sort that out. rainsoft has many models.
I am using this I got from amazon few years back.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0018MXH04
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22605 upvotes
GTA
I'm happy with my rainsoft from CT for drinking water and ice cubes. I just have it for chlorine taste removal.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote
Thank you for the reply.

overall - I'm looking for safe, clean soft water without a worry or concern. Not sure how good is the water delivered to home , if we go with a test , have to worry about these companies getting us in to a scam.

so wanted to take suggestions if any one is already using these.

One of my friend living in brampton is charged for 9K for rainsoft water treatment system, not sure if there is any difference between that and kinetico which is little less expensive ? Is it worth going with costco .
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
abhijeet88 wrote: Thank you for the reply.

overall - I'm looking for safe, clean soft water without a worry or concern. Not sure how good is the water delivered to home , if we go with a test , have to worry about these companies getting us in to a scam.

Municipal water is safe.
But if you want to remove particles, then you will need something like a RO system...which can reduce the water from 150ppm down to 10ppm.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
A RO system (under the sink) would be around $500-1000 installed.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22605 upvotes
GTA
abhijeet88 wrote: Thank you for the reply.

One of my friend living in brampton is charged for 9K for rainsoft water treatment system, not sure if there is any difference between that and kinetico which is little less expensive ? Is it worth going with costco .
Your water is safe. If you want it softer, then you'll need a water softener. If you want to get rid of chlorine then you'd need a chlorine filter just for undersink drinking water.
Minernals in your water are safe and needed by your body so don't be scared by companies saying your PPM is too high. The mineral water people buy is even higher and people drink that for health. If you eliminate the minerals, the water will leach minerals out of your body so you'll have to replace them.

My rainsoft chlorine filter was $100 and is an easy DIY install. Probably $200 to have someone else install. If they got a water softener (which you only really need if you have a lot of mineralization on your taps and your soap doesn't suds up) then that could be $2-3 installed. Chances are your friend got hosed on equipment they don't even need.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote
BDSL wrote: A RO system (under the sink) would be around $500-1000 installed.
Thanks BDSL , any reason why these companies are selling these products for muncipal water also - I know they want to make money but just wondering if we need to make water soft.

like for example - rainsoft website says.
"
Unlike the hard water that you may have begrudgingly grown accustomed to, soft water leaves your hair and skin feeling silky soft after bathing or showering, will never cause water stains on your dishes, and is much less harsh on your plumbing and water-using appliances"
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote
BDSL wrote: A RO system (under the sink) would be around $500-1000 installed.
Thanks BDSL , any reason why these companies are selling these products for muncipal water also - I know they want to make money but just wondering if we need to make water soft.

Unlike the hard water that you may have begrudgingly grown accustomed to, soft water leaves your hair and skin feeling silky soft after bathing or showering, will never cause water stains on your dishes, and is much less harsh on your plumbing and water-using appliances
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
abhijeet88 wrote: Thanks BDSL , any reason why these companies are selling these products for muncipal water also - I know they want to make money but just wondering if we need to make water soft.

Unlike the hard water that you may have begrudgingly grown accustomed to, soft water leaves your hair and skin feeling silky soft after bathing or showering, will never cause water stains on your dishes, and is much less harsh on your plumbing and water-using appliances
Are you looking for drinking water only? Or whole house? I am confused.
You need to figure out what you need.
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote
BDSL wrote: Are you looking for drinking water only? Or whole house? I am confused.
You need to figure out what you need.
Sorry for the confusion - I'm looking for the whole home for water softener + filter for drinking water (not sure if its same as RO).
[OP]
Jan 6, 2021
16 posts
1 upvote
engineered wrote: Your water is safe. If you want it softer, then you'll need a water softener. If you want to get rid of chlorine then you'd need a chlorine filter just for undersink drinking water.
Minernals in your water are safe and needed by your body so don't be scared by companies saying your PPM is too high. The mineral water people buy is even higher and people drink that for health. If you eliminate the minerals, the water will leach minerals out of your body so you'll have to replace them.

My rainsoft chlorine filter was $100 and is an easy DIY install. Probably $200 to have someone else install. If they got a water softener (which you only really need if you have a lot of mineralization on your taps and your soap doesn't suds up) then that could be $2-3 installed. Chances are your friend got hosed on equipment they don't even need.
Thanks @engineered, I'm looking for water softener too - if it helps/ or worth installing.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Sorry, I can't comment on whole house water filtration. I only have filter for drinking water.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19470 posts
22605 upvotes
GTA
abhijeet88 wrote: Thanks BDSL , any reason why these companies are selling these products for muncipal water also - I know they want to make money but just wondering if we need to make water soft.

They sell their products to make money, none of it is NEEDED.

Depending on where you are, hard water can be an annoyance, so softening it can help. If you have those issues than you can get a softener.
That's completely separate from a water filter, and completely uneeded, except for removing chlorine taste.
RO also wastes a lot of water, as it takes the minerals out and dumps them into waste water, so expect higher water bills, in addition to filter changes.

Do you have hard water issues?

In my opinion, RO water tastes worse (like dasani), so I would never go for it. Even my uncle on well water just has a sediment and UV filter, and even that is excessive because their tests show it's completely clean.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3442 posts
2219 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: They sell their products to make money, none of it is NEEDED.

Depending on where you are, hard water can be an annoyance, so softening it can help. If you have those issues than you can get a softener.
That's completely separate from a water filter, and completely uneeded, except for removing chlorine taste.
RO also wastes a lot of water, as it takes the minerals out and dumps them into waste water, so expect higher water bills, in addition to filter changes.

Do you have hard water issues?

In my opinion, RO water tastes worse (like dasani), so I would never go for it. Even my uncle on well water just has a sediment and UV filter, and even that is excessive because their tests show it's completely clean.
True. RO water tastes worse because it literally has no taste. It is pretty close to distilled water at that level of filteration. @abhijeet88 contrary to what these companies say, you absolutely do not need RO water for drinking. Water is one of the natural sources of vitamins/minerals. Why would you take it out. Just get a chlorine filter for the taste.

For whole house water softner, I guess it is only a need if hardness levels are high in your municipality. Again, I dont think water in GTA is that hard. On a related note, do you have a tankless water heater?
Mar 14, 2018
954 posts
917 upvotes
GTA
Hey OP, a couple of things to consider as negatives.

- If you put a filtration system for the whole house, remember you are removing chlorine from the water that could be disinfecting your pipe system as well. We noticed more pink stains (caused by some bacteria) when we have the water go through a filter.

- my relative swears by the fact that her kid got so many cavities by drinking RO water. Remember that it removes fluoride.

If I had to do over again, I'd just have the whole home softener and use the good old Brita for filtering out chlorine from drinking water.