Home & Garden

Water turned yellow after water softener regenration

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2019 3:40 am
[OP]
Nov 13, 2019
4 posts

Water turned yellow after water softener regenration

Hi, We live in a brand new house which is just 2 months old. We got a water softener installed 10 days ago. It is programmed to regenerate every 7 days. After the first regeneration, the water turned yellow. After I drained a good 50 gallons, the water looked clear.
Points to note are: Brand New House, Brand New Water Softener With a Separate De-Chlorinator Tank, First Regeneration, Added salt before the regeneration, water contamination before installing the softener is 146ppm (tested with digital water tester), It is a Clack valve.

My questions are:
Why the yellow (ice tea kind) color in the water after regeneration? Is it safe to use the water like that? Am I doing something wrong? The ppm after the regeneration is staggering 260ppm. Isn't it supposed to be a lot less?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9637 posts
5035 upvotes
Paris
As someone who installed 2 water softeners in the last year DIY and has hard water... did you follow the start up process exactly? When my parents bought their place, they did not and had similar results. It never ran right after that and we put another one in sometimes this spring.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2019
4 posts
The water is the city water coming through the pipes. Its not well water.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
805 upvotes
Waterloo
SavieW13464 wrote: The water is the city water coming through the pipes. Its not well water.
I would say you have copper pipes and there was some brazing involved. If its done ( Mostlyt its done this way ) without the use of argon inside the pipes , its result is yellow water for a few minutes.
----
Pay it forward.