• Apr 7th, 2019 5:58 pm
[OP]
Sep 1, 2010
106 posts
18 upvotes
GTA

Water valve on driveway pop up?

Hi
Now snow cleared and I found that water value on driveway popping up which is on passage to stairs and could hit anyone walking. Pictures attached.
What to do?
Thanks.
Images
  • 20190329_163812.jpg
  • 20190329_163817.jpg
13 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Get a sledge hammer and pound it down. Or if you can't be bothered, the city will do it for you. It's from frost heave, very common.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8064 posts
2732 upvotes
Maple
I noticed that on mine couple weeks ago. It is level this week.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2010
106 posts
18 upvotes
GTA
Hope hammer will not break it?
fusion2k2k wrote: Get a sledge hammer and pound it down. Or if you can't be bothered, the city will do it for you. It's from frost heave, very common.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
a3dview wrote: Hope hammer will not break it?
No, the city will do the exact same thing. Make sure it's a sledge though, not a framing hammer.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2639 posts
449 upvotes
I drive over ours every spring, I just did today actually
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3983 posts
1938 upvotes
The standpipes are two pieces ... adjustable as they slide inside each other for proper height.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2289 posts
1635 upvotes
SW Ontario
pootza wrote: The standpipes are two pieces ... adjustable as they slide inside each other for proper height.
Learn something every day ... now I can wack mine down that sticks up enough, I always worried about a certain someone nailing it with the lawnmower like she did on the ground rod for the TV tower Face With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling EyesFace With Rolling Eyes
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Dec 4, 2009
335 posts
208 upvotes
I pound mine down even fall, so my snowblower doesn’t catch...

Use a plastic coated dead blow mallet, not a sledgehammer. Need soft impact, high force on cast parts.

The first time I was nervous, now not so much.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6606 posts
2185 upvotes
GTA
Todd96srv wrote: Use a plastic coated dead blow mallet, not a sledgehammer. Need soft impact, high force on cast parts.
You could put a scrap of 2x4 on it to soften the sledge hammer blows, no one bothers.

I wonder if the 2 pieces of pipe that slide over each other can corrode together solid so force of hammering is transferred to the buried valve?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3203 posts
573 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Zamboni wrote: You could put a scrap of 2x4 on it to soften the sledge hammer blows, no one bothers.

I wonder if the 2 pieces of pipe that slide over each other can corrode together solid so force of hammering is transferred to the buried valve?
Now, you have everyone second guessing that sledge hammer method. lol
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12553 posts
7293 upvotes
Markham
a3dview wrote: Hope hammer will not break it?
You can call the city and they'll hammer it for you....less risk IMO in case it breaks and they blame you.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1840 posts
1354 upvotes
GTA West
I am wondering how to raise mine which sits in the driveway? The city knocked it down at my request a couple of years ago and now it is rather low. I hope to repave this summer and want to raise it up a bit.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I am wondering how to raise mine which sits in the driveway? The city knocked it down at my request a couple of years ago and now it is rather low. I hope to repave this summer and want to raise it up a bit.
It should come up on its own. Do you plan on repaving it yourself? Or hiring a company? If you're hiring a reputable company you would think they would deal with this sort of thing all the time and can easily take a prybar or other tool to it to raise it.