Cell Phones

Waterloo-based TextNow offering free talk and text cellular service in Canada TO THOSE UNEMPLOYED due to COVID-19

• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2020 10:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22138 posts
16755 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Waterloo-based TextNow offering free talk and text cellular service in Canada TO THOSE UNEMPLOYED due to COVID-19

Mobile Syrup: Waterloo-based TextNow offering free talk and text cellular service in Canada amid COVID-19
Waterloo-based TextNow is offering its free talk and text cellular phone service in Canada for the first time ever to support those impacted amid the COVID-19 pandemic. “With more than a million jobs lost in Canada last month, we know that many people have to make difficult financial decisions. We also believe that now, more than ever, it’s important for everyone to stay connected,” the company wrote in a statement.
TextNow: Our Response to COVID-19 
For those of you in the U.S. and Canada — if you’ve lost your job and can no longer afford your phone bill, reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook, or email us at helpinghands@textnow.com.
Edited to highlight qualifications
Last edited by bylo on Apr 14th, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa
158 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1051 posts
1710 upvotes
Alberta
MobileSyrup omitted a key condition of the offer.
From the TextNow blog announcement:
For those of you in the U.S. and Canada — if you’ve lost your job and can no longer afford your phone bill, reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook, or email us at helpinghands@textnow.com.
This is a very Canadian act of generosity on the part of TextNow... hate to see them inundated by deal-hunters looking for a freebie. They are somewhat limited in what's available, and the Sprint-based service in Canada will have a real cost. Leave this to those with a real need.
We are giving away as much as we can, from free phones and service, to SIM cards and premium upgrades, to help you stay connected during these uncertain times.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22138 posts
16755 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pjw918 wrote: MobileSyrup omitted a key condition of the offer.
From the TextNow blog announcement:

This is a very Canadian act of generosity by TextNow... hate to see them inundated by deal-hunters looking for a freebie. They are somewhat limited in what's available, and the Sprint-based service in Canada will have a real cost.
Thanks for pointing that out. Nevertheless some 6 million Canadians have already applied for assistance from Ottawa via CRA so presumably more than a few RFDers are legitimately eligible.
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 24, 2019
15 posts
190 upvotes
North York
How We Are Helping
For those of you in the U.S. and Canada — if you’ve lost your job and can no longer afford your phone bill, reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook, or email us at helpinghands@textnow.com. We are giving away as much as we can, from free phones and service, to SIM cards and premium upgrades, to help you stay connected during these uncertain times.

Free Phones
If you need a device, we’ll do our best to get you one — complete with a SIM card and preloaded with our unlimited free calling and texting plan — including, for the first time ever, for users in Canada. We’re clearing out our existing inventory of devices to help as many people as we can stay connected.

Free Service
If you already have a compatible Android or iOS device, we’re sending out as many free SIM cards as we can to get people connected to our Free Nationwide Talk & Text plan. Unlimited calling and texting to the U.S. and Canada at no charge, on the Nationwide Sprint® Network*. If you want to port in your existing number, we can help.

Free Phone Number
The spread of coronavirus has changed the way we live and work. If you’re connected to WiFi all day and want to reduce your phone bill, or you find yourself in need of a second phone number to work from home, our calling and texting app is available in the App Store and Google Play for free. Get a free 10-digit phone number, and immediately have access to unlimited calling and texting to stay connected to the important people in your life.
Dec 22, 2014
146 posts
121 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
anyone know about the availability/quality of their Canadian coverage? all I see is " Unlimited calling and texting to the U.S. and Canada at no charge, on the Nationwide Sprint® Network"

curious if they are bringing out a Canadian plan
Oct 3, 2015
734 posts
1460 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Please don't abuse this RFD. They are trying to help Canadians out during this crisis.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3742 posts
1004 upvotes
Calgary
I agree. Don't abuse please. I don't need one so I am not going to request for one. Thanks for posting OP
Mar 24, 2019
15 posts
190 upvotes
North York
Joelm72 wrote: anyone know about the availability/quality of their Canadian coverage? all I see is " Unlimited calling and texting to the U.S. and Canada at no charge, on the Nationwide Sprint® Network"

curious if they are bringing out a Canadian plan
I don't think they have Canadian plan, but they have coverage in Canada.
Here is their coverage map
https://www.textnow.com/wireless/coverage
Feb 16, 2016
65 posts
30 upvotes
Correct no Canadian carrier/sim. They’re sprint SIM cards, but can roam In Canada and I guess TextNow are Being stand up chaps.
Last edited by QS2k16 on Apr 14th, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 22, 2014
146 posts
121 upvotes
Peterborough, ON
RA1211 wrote: I don't think they have Canadian plan, but they have coverage in Canada.
Here is their coverage map
https://www.textnow.com/wireless/coverage
Thanks. I see that. when you click on a location in Canada it pops up and says that that is "international roaming." Is there unlimited international coverage from textnow? If so that's unreal
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13134 posts
1969 upvotes
Toronto
I dont think anyone browsing RFD hot deals is eligible haha
Sep 10, 2018
254 posts
1313 upvotes
Do I care?
"TextNow is the only app that offers free nationwide cellular service supported by ads"

Just get yourself Freedom $99 annual plan and have proper coverage.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13536 posts
4048 upvotes
RFD
LULUMON wrote: "TextNow is the only app that offers free nationwide cellular service supported by ads"

Just get yourself Freedom Mobile $99 annual plan and have proper coverage.
Surprised that's how companies make money when things are free.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3509 posts
2138 upvotes
Kitchener
I see that there are lot of readers on this thread. Now that we're here, can we all agree to leave this deal for fellow RFD'ers that actually need this, please? Not to mention any other Canadian that perhaps lacks internet and has no money, perhaps share this information with them.

As for coverage, I imagine that Sprint (T-Mobile) has some sort of agreement with Rogers, and perhaps Rogers has agreed to chip in a bit.

To OP -- thanks for posting.
Why can't we all just get along?
Jan 8, 2015
819 posts
514 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Surprised that's how companies make money when things are free.
I'm guessing they sell your information off to advertisers too?
Sep 15, 2015
724 posts
544 upvotes
Mooooonnn
I don’t need the phone or plan, but thanks for posting this for those who may need it, and that is a good gesture if they are genuinely trying to help those in need.
1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. Don’t buy because it’s cheap. Buy it when needed or it brings convenience/happiness/better quality in life
3. Buy now think (regret/return) later
4. If the gut says don’t tell your lady, don’t!
Sep 5, 2013
168 posts
159 upvotes
Hamilton
There are a lot of people in Canada who are really struggling.

Instead of getting this for yourself, please instead suggest it to anyone you know who is in real need.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13536 posts
4048 upvotes
RFD
Quickman wrote: I'm guessing they sell your information off to advertisers too?
That's no surprise either.