• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 9:08 am
[OP]
Jun 30, 2008
121 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

WaterProof Vinyl OR Ceramic tile in Basement Kitchen

Hi, I am renovating my basement and I am doing with professional contractor. Now I have to decide that I have to put Waterproof Vinyl OR Ceramic tile in Kitchen area. Contractor was asking to put WaterProof Vinyl OR Ceramic tile in Basement Kitchen. Can you please advise which is better in kitchen area in basement. Please advise very clearly so that I could make decision quickly.
Thanks,
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10398 upvotes
Ottawa
In my opinion, a good quality vinyl makes sense to me. It is in a basement, it can be very cold on a basement floor and ceramic tile will only transmit that cold.
Waterproof I assume because there can be moisture from the floor?
May 30, 2010
329 posts
510 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: In my opinion, a good quality vinyl makes sense to me. It is in a basement, it can be very cold on a basement floor and ceramic tile will only transmit that cold.
Waterproof I assume because there can be moisture from the floor?
If you need cheap go with tile. If you have a few extra bucks to spend get the glue down vynial planks or glue down cork(which i have). Avoid the hd “allure” prel and stick product, lots of problems down the road with that.

He probably wants water proof cause its a kitchen.
Jan 13, 2002
442 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Go for vinyl with a vapor barrier underlayment. This will be way warmer than ceramic, and the vapour barrier will prevent mold/mildew from accumulating under the vinyl. Also, standing on vinyl for long periods of time will be much easier on your back/knees. And when you drop a glass on the floor, it will be less likely to explode compared to ceramic.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1904 posts
929 upvotes
Assuming you're renting the basement out, go with tile if you trust the craftsmanship of your tile installer. Properly installed, tile stands up to wear and tear better than vinyl, in my experience. That said, the tiles in my kitchen showed very little wear on its surface, but had numerous cracks. About 10% of tiles in my kitchen are cracked, less than 10 years after it's installed. I don't know who installed them, as renovation was done by previous owner. Cracked tiles look terrible, and ripping it up is a huge pain.
Feb 5, 2018
11 posts
1 upvote
Comment:
Well, vinyl flooring is the one you should go for, in my opinion. The benefits of using vinyl flooring include:
  • Vinyl flooring is great for visitors as it can hold up to spills and messes.
  • It’s easy to clean and hassle-free.
  • Looks impressive, with lots of choices available (you can choose Centura Tile’s Luxury Vinyl or American Biltrite Natura Collection).
  • It’s kid-friendly, as vinyl provides a firm and smooth surface that is great for driving remote-controlled toy cars and building Lego blocks.