• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2021 12:10 pm
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west

Way to pull wire to switch without cutting wall drywall

So like any home owner, there are always things to improve, especially when it comes to a house built where they make cuts.

Like instead of pulling an extra wire from the ceiling fan to the wall outlet, so you have constant power for the fan itself, while the lights operate by the switch. Upstairs, they are like that. Downstairs, they are not. Because why do it when the house is built, it saves $2

My question is, is there a way to get a wire up the wall into the ceiling without having to cut a hole in the wall.

We plan on actually putting some potlights in the bedroom, and then just have a double switch at the wall, since the fan doesnt give off much light and the room is pretty big.

IM just trying to minimize any patching/painting I need to do if possible.

I have webbed joists and a finished drywall ceiling, but with fishrods I should be able to just hop from each hole with wire. And I wont have to patch the ceiling since the holes cut will be potlights.

Or is it more or less, cut a hole in the wall to fish the wire to the switch?
8 replies
Oct 22, 2002
166 posts
23 upvotes
GTA
Generally you can't avoid cutting a notch where the wall and ceiling meet directly above the switch. You have to drill through the top plate then guide the wire as it makes the bend. Once you are in the ceiling then drilling with a flex bit and fishing from one hole to the next is doable.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5427 posts
5283 upvotes
GTA
What's the advantage? Do you really need constant power to fan in the powder room? If there is no shower, exhaust fan is not necessary, you will not have condensation problems etc.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: So like any home owner, there are always things to improve, especially when it comes to a house built where they make cuts.

Like instead of pulling an extra wire from the ceiling fan to the wall outlet, so you have constant power for the fan itself, while the lights operate by the switch. Upstairs, they are like that. Downstairs, they are not. Because why do it when the house is built, it saves $2

My question is, is there a way to get a wire up the wall into the ceiling without having to cut a hole in the wall.

We plan on actually putting some potlights in the bedroom, and then just have a double switch at the wall, since the fan doesnt give off much light and the room is pretty big.

IM just trying to minimize any patching/painting I need to do if possible.

I have webbed joists and a finished drywall ceiling, but with fishrods I should be able to just hop from each hole with wire. And I wont have to patch the ceiling since the holes cut will be potlights.

Or is it more or less, cut a hole in the wall to fish the wire to the switch?
My house is a raised ranch and I accomplished it all from the attic. That wont help in a 2 story design.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: My house is a raised ranch and I accomplished it all from the attic. That wont help in a 2 story design.
Sorry should clarify, these are basement bedrooms.

We added 5 potlights and 3 gimbals upstairs in our kitchen with attic access. Pretty easy and a great outcome.

But as long as the builder can get away with bare minimum, just keep doing upgrades as needed
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Tommy74 wrote: What's the advantage? Do you really need constant power to fan in the powder room? If there is no shower, exhaust fan is not necessary, you will not have condensation problems etc.
Powder room???????
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
mrgreenjeans wrote: Generally you can't avoid cutting a notch where the wall and ceiling meet directly above the switch. You have to drill through the top plate then guide the wire as it makes the bend. Once you are in the ceiling then drilling with a flex bit and fishing from one hole to the next is doable.
Ya, thats what I though. I was thinking if I tried to push wire up from the switch to the plate, but then thats just blind luck I will hit it, and its already got a wire in it, so the chances of that working are very low.

The rest of the in celing stuff will be easier, since I can just hop from the first hold cut for the potlight to the next

I really miss suspended ceilings. Had an older house with one in the basement, the ease of access to everything for repairs and upgrades was awesome
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
WikkiWikki wrote: I really miss suspended ceilings. Had an older house with one in the basement, the ease of access to everything for repairs and upgrades was awesome
I agree, suspended ceilings below grade were the best.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: I agree, suspended ceilings below grade were the best.
I have another post on the Embassy suspended system. Although I doubt I ever will just rip out a perfectly good drywalled ceiling, of something comes along that damages it will probably just do that. Height loss seems minimal

For this project, I wouldnt even have to ask this questions