Shopping Discussion

A way to put price alerts on several stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 3:46 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 29, 2019
14 posts
3 upvotes

A way to put price alerts on several stores?

Is there a way to put a price alert on several stores at the time for one particular item?

A script, Bot, Or website? :)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20514 upvotes
Vancouver
Wouldn't it be nice if—instead of waiting for sales or setting up alert bots—we could go to any retailer we wanted and haggle for the price we wanted, any time we wanted. Basically how commerce worked in all of human history until about 1900, and how it still works in most of the world today.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1935 posts
4363 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Wouldn't it be nice if—instead of waiting for sales or setting up alert bots—we could go to any retailer we wanted and haggle for the price we wanted, any time we wanted. Basically how commerce worked in all of human history until about 1900, and how it still works in most of the world today.
No. I like knowing everyone is paying the same price and the store isn't trying to pull a fast one on me like markets in Asia.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
cursayer wrote: No. I like knowing everyone is paying the same price and the store isn't trying to pull a fast one on me like markets in Asia.
You mean you don't want to trade a goat and a chicken for some shoes?
[OP]
Apr 29, 2019
14 posts
3 upvotes
Seriously guy.. :rolleyes:

Are you aware of StreetMerchant? Exactly the same i'm talking, but for GPUs.
Feb 4, 2011
694 posts
476 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Wouldn't it be nice if—instead of waiting for sales or setting up alert bots—we could go to any retailer we wanted and haggle for the price we wanted, any time we wanted. Basically how commerce worked in all of human history until about 1900, and how it still works in most of the world today.
you mean the way the buyers from most of the world lowball in kijiji?Smiling Face With Open Mouth

"5"
"10 dollars cash"
"10 dollars cash bro"
"pick up now for 5 dollars cash"
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20514 upvotes
Vancouver
dealz4all wrote: you mean the way the buyers from most of the world lowball in kijiji?Smiling Face With Open Mouth

"5"
"10 dollars cash"
"10 dollars cash bro"
"pick up now for 5 dollars cash"
Yes exactly like that. Most people don’t realize this but haggling prices was the norm and still remains the norm throughout human history. Retailers were sole proprietorships where the wholesale purchaser, rent payer, accountant, and seller were all the same person. That guy knew what he could sell for and still make a profit. It wasn’t until the invention of the department store in the West that those four things were all done by different employees, and keeping track of haggled prices wasn’t possible anymore. So fixed prices became the norm. We just got so used to the new department store reality that we lost our ability to do commerce the way that had evolved with us. So when we are faced with Kijiji sales, we have no idea what to do. We just need to get those skills back, especially since algorithms are making a return to the old way more and more possible.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6921 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
Kiraly wrote: Yes exactly like that. Most people don’t realize this but haggling prices was the norm
It was the norm. That's why those are called ancient times or just "past". It was the norm to sell 12-old girls for marriage, may be still the norm somewhere. I don't like those norms and I bet many other people don't either. People moved around the globe because of those "norms" in their countries. They are called refugees. If you like the "norm" form the past you described you can move to Afghanistan and haggle for GPUs on a street market.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15243 posts
20514 upvotes
Vancouver
alpovs wrote: It was the norm. That's why those are called ancient times or just "past". It was the norm to sell 12-old girls for marriage, may be still the norm somewhere. I don't like those norms and I bet many other people don't either. People moved around the globe because of those "norms" in their countries. They are called refugees. If you like the "norm" form the past you described you can move to Afghanistan and haggle for GPUs on a street market.
It still is the norm in person-to-person transactions like private sales on Craigslist, garage sales, flea markets, etc. The evolved human brain takes over. Knowing how to do natural person-to-person commerce is an important life skill. Not every transaction is done at a big-box store, and those who don’t acquire those skills will face a lifetime of paying more. Look at the monster kijiii idiots thread, it’s all people who don’t have haggling skills complaining that natural human scale commerce doesn’t work the way big box commerce works.

I realize I’ve gone OT from what the OP was asking for, apologies for that.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
Kiraly wrote: It still is the norm in person-to-person transactions like private sales on Craigslist, garage sales, flea markets, etc. The evolved human brain takes over. Knowing how to do natural person-to-person commerce is an important life skill. Not every transaction is done at a big-box store, and those who don’t acquire those skills will face a lifetime of paying more. I realize I’ve gone OT from what the OP was asking for, apologies for that.