Expired Hot Deals

[Wayfair.ca] Technivorm Moccamaster KBG Coffee Brewer - $309.99 ($278.99 YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2020 1:42 am
[OP]
Apr 23, 2020
20 posts
104 upvotes

Technivorm Moccamaster KBG Coffee Brewer - $309.99 ($278.99 YMMV)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Wayfair.ca
First post, and I realize it's not a deal that everyone will be interested in.

Moccamaster coffee brewers are handmade in the Netherlands, and carry a 5-year warranty. This machine is SCA and ECBC approved.

Brilliant Silver model is currently $309.99. Current price on Amazon is $403, and lowest price ever per triple dromedaries was $308.29 back in 2015.

Other colours are priced between 329.99 and 399.99.

Edit: Just checked my mail, and there was a personalized 10% offer for new customers from Wayfair. Tested checkout and this item is eligible, dropping the price to $278.99.
Last edited by OldVines on Apr 25th, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
143 replies
Jul 21, 2016
827 posts
1596 upvotes
Big vouch, those are war machine that will survive anything. They are not your common "made to be replaced in 5 months" appliance.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  / \
   | |
  _/ ¯ \_
🆁🅴🅳 🅵🅻🅰🅶 🅳🅴🅰🅻🆂
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2231 posts
2332 upvotes
What was the discount back a few months ago from Green Beanery? Technivorm used to be the only game in town as far as SCA approved drip machines. This is no longer the case. There are LOTS of less expensive SCA approved options now, so this discount feels a bit lukewarm.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1256 posts
326 upvotes
Barrie
thelasthunter wrote: What was the discount back a few months ago from Green Beanery? Technivorm used to be the only game in town as far as SCA approved drip machines. This is no longer the case. There are LOTS of less expensive SCA approved options now, so this discount feels a bit lukewarm.
40% off was in the email but I don't remember what that would have been (different model, the thermal carafe one).

Trying to debate picking one up vs trying to contact bodum to get replacement parts for my bodum bistro.
May 28, 2012
10866 posts
3004 upvotes
Saskatoon
I have the KBGT 741 with thermal carafe, which I like more than this one with the glass carafe (better heat retention and don't have to worry about breakage). I think America's Test Kitchen rated this brand tops but Bonavita was their budget pick.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3078 posts
1649 upvotes
Canada
Wow, great price and much less than I paid for mine several years ago..
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2231 posts
2332 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: I have the KBGT 741 with thermal carafe, which I like more than this one with the glass carafe (better heat retention and don't have to worry about breakage). I think America's Test Kitchen rated this brand tops but Bonavita was their budget pick.
That review probably goes back a while when Technivorm was the king and Bonavita was the new kid on the block. There are now tons of SCA approved machines cheaper than Technivorm. Bonavita is still a good value. I had bad luck with the heating element giving out within two year on mine though. Now I'm rocking the Braun Multiserve - also SCA approved - and I do enjoy it.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1256 posts
326 upvotes
Barrie
Bit the bullet and bought one, thanks OP. Had a bodum bistro in the past but a few of the parts broke and they don't sell the replacement part and with it being past warranty it may cost something or take forever because of the current events . I am hoping this will last me much longer.
Mars2012 wrote: I have the KBGT 741 with thermal carafe, which I like more than this one with the glass carafe (better heat retention and don't have to worry about breakage). I think America's Test Kitchen rated this brand tops but Bonavita was their budget pick.
I had not thought about that but now have a reason to use my separate thermal carafe I suppose. I wonder if there is much of a difference in taste between the two.

Edit : I assume most people use a different filter since the technivorm ones are pricey.
May 28, 2012
10866 posts
3004 upvotes
Saskatoon
nksharp wrote: Edit : I assume most people use a different filter since the technivorm ones are pricey.
I bought a permanent cone filter when I bought the coffee maker but it slowed down the process greatly and is not needed. I just buy the cone filters at Costco (600 count for around $8) and they work fine. Get some citric acid and run a dilution through it about once every month or so to keep it clean (about a heaping Tbs per carafe of water). Make sure to run 2-3 cycles of regular water after to flush out the cleaning solution.
Jan 24, 2009
927 posts
563 upvotes
Montreal
I have this model and I can vouch for it.

While there are cheaper SCA certified brewers this one is really built to last and is user serviceable to boot.

Just a caveat, these brew hotter and medium to dark roasts tend towards overextraction But lighter roasts come out amazing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
5353 posts
1219 upvotes
Toronto
I’ve had this exact (though older) moccamaster for 10+ years. Still going strong, and making amazing coffee. I think I paid $250 for it, and it was an astronomical price back then. But worth every penny. Broken the carafe twice though, and a $50 replacement is a bit steep. However, I prefer piping hot rather than tepid warm coffee, so am happy to have the glass carafe version.
Jan 24, 2009
927 posts
563 upvotes
Montreal
Mars2012 wrote: I bought a permanent cone filter when I bought the coffee maker but it slowed down the process greatly and is not needed. I just buy the cone filters at Costco (600 count for around $8) and they work fine. Get some citric acid and run a dilution through it about once every month or so to keep it clean (about a heaping Tbs per carafe of water). Make sure to run 2-3 cycles of regular water after to flush out the cleaning solution.
I have tried all kinds of filters but the Moccamaster are the best followed by Melitta white. I get mine here For $8 a box of 100 https://cafune.ca/products/technivorm-m ... -4-filters (but currently out of stock).

I time my descaling to a box of filters, but I use Dezcal as it does a better job than plain citric acid. You can buy this in a 7 oz bag for around $5 on Amazon. Tabs are about a $1 each too.

Also a good idea to clean any coffee contact surface regularly (filter holder and carafe) with Cafiza. A bottle of powder lasts for ages.
Nov 13, 2013
106 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
msrp on these units is 399.99 not sure why Wayfair is listing as 448.99.

regardless, these are great machines.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1736 posts
1390 upvotes
Toronto
tzhuge wrote: Is this primarily about build quality? Maybe better temperature control?I don’t entirely understand this premium drip machine.

Something like this has a bunch of features, so I kind of get it:
https://www.amazon.ca/Breville-BDC450BS ... B073TZR6P1

How do they compare in practice?
Both SCA certified:
https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer?page=cert2

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, but Moccamaster is more of a icon on drip coffee machines I think.
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!