• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 6:33 pm
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
434 posts
69 upvotes
GTA

Wayfair.ca vs Staples.ca

I am thinking of buying a desk and shelf set for home and it is available at both Wayfair.ca and at Staples.ca. Does anyone have experience with buying furniture you have to assemble from any of these two websites? Specifically, if a piece should arrive defective or damaged, which place is easier to deal with to get a replacement? Also, does Staples.ca price match Wayfair?
11 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14184 posts
11392 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We’ve had excellent experiences in the past with Staples.
For everything we’ve ever bought there.
Including an entire suite of office furniture.
The centre of which was an “Executive Desk”
Great desk, from South Shore Furniture.
But I don’t think Staples sells anything this high end any more.

Have no immediate experience with Wayfair, when it comes to furniture
Except when browsing, I often find their listings on the pricey side
Maybe it’s ANOTHER CASE of a US Co. adding on a whole lot for their .ca website
Like 50% or more higher than prices on their .com websites
Seems unfair ... when the current rate of exchange is $ 1.32

Which is why we always check the .com websites
Not beyond ordering from them and then shipping to a US Parcel Drop
And going stateside to pick it up

If it’s a BIG Purchase, then we just plan to make it an outing of a day or two
So as to take advantage of our $ 200 or $ 800 CDN Personal Exemption
Jan 25, 2016
243 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
“WayFair, you make home shopping easy”. Maybe you can put their jingle to the test and see how easy it really is lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1611 posts
350 upvotes
Vancouver
Check out source office furniture as well. Go in person to their showroom.
Aug 5, 2005
507 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
Surprisingly, Walmart has furniture that Wayfair has at a much lower price. I was looking at the corner glass computer table for BF and it was the cheapest at Walmart both during promo and regular price. I ended up returning it bc the keyboard wasn't large enough for a full keyboard and mouse. I'm still looking for a computer desk that can supports a large keyboard tray, two monitors, laptop, ipad, printer, etc. xD
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
434 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
HelloNanaimo wrote: “WayFair, you make home shopping easy”. Maybe you can put their jingle to the test and see how easy it really is lol.
I decided to purchase from Wayfair as price was cheaper than Staples even with the Staples save 20% promo now on. And, Wayfair's estimated delivery date was a week sooner than Staples.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3023 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
slinger99 wrote: I decided to purchase from Wayfair as price was cheaper than Staples even with the Staples save 20% promo now on. And, Wayfair's estimated delivery date was a week sooner than Staples.
I had an issue with a patio set missing some parts and Wayfair just sent another whole set and told me to do what I want with the existing, so they were easy to deal with at least in my experience.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Sep 8, 2007
398 posts
172 upvotes
Chrispy wrote: I had an issue with a patio set missing some parts and Wayfair just sent another whole set and told me to do what I want with the existing, so they were easy to deal with at least in my experience.
Same experience for me with Wayfair. Small damage to a patio set which didn't really affect it's use. I asked to just get a replacement piece or small refund. They sent me a whole new set.
Sep 8, 2004
231 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
slinger99 wrote: I decided to purchase from Wayfair as price was cheaper than Staples even with the Staples save 20% promo now on. And, Wayfair's estimated delivery date was a week sooner than Staples.
Strange, since both of the distribution centres are only minutes apart, and use the same courier who's also nearby:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2020+Lo ... 43.6995969

Lack of stock at Staples maybe?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7452 posts
4933 upvotes
Canada
Chrispy wrote:
I had an issue with a patio set missing some parts and Wayfair just sent another whole set and told me to do what I want with the existing, so they were easy to deal with at least in my experience.
TCB069 wrote: Same experience for me with Wayfair. Small damage to a patio set which didn't really affect it's use. I asked to just get a replacement piece or small refund. They sent me a whole new set.
Similar experience as well, asked for a replacement part, they sent brand new set. However their prices keep fluctuating a lot, it's difficult to track and find out when the product is actually on "sale". I am not aware of any price tracking websites like Amazon for wayfair... However, many products are available on other websites so you can atleast compare prices.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3023 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
RFDQ1016 wrote: Similar experience as well, asked for a replacement part, they sent brand new set. However their prices keep fluctuating a lot, it's difficult to track and find out when the product is actually on "sale". I am not aware of any price tracking websites like Amazon for wayfair... However, many products are available on other websites so you can atleast compare prices.
This is true, you do need to shop around and compare prices and don't just trust that Wayfair has the cheapest price as often they don't. But at least they have good after sales support.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
[OP]
Jan 11, 2007
434 posts
69 upvotes
GTA
Just to give an ending to my original post... So I ordered my home office furniture from Wayfair. I was wary because the price was shown as 80% off. The regular price was obviously over inflated. However, the sale price was still less than at Staples (even with a 20% off promo from Staples). 3 out of the 4 pieces arrived in a week. The 4th arrived a day later. One piece of the shelf had a deep gouge. The box it came in had no damage so it must have happened before it was boxed. Wayfair texted me when each piece was shipped and when each was delivered. Within the text was a link to request a return or to request a replacement part. This made it really easy for me to get the replacement part by just answering a few questions on a form and it even gave you the option to include a picture of the damaged piece. The replacement part was delivered in a week. Best part is I didn't have to call anyone or wait for authorization for a replacement. Easy peasy. Enjoying my new home office, now that I have to work from home during this covid19 crisis.