Wayne Gretzky 99 Proof Whisky

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2017 2:41 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
55 posts
13 upvotes

Wayne Gretzky 99 Proof Whisky

Just got an email from American Express to buy a signature etched bottle of this whisky for $99. What are the chances that this is actually something rare? Maybe someone who has been to the distillery can comment if it is readily available there and not an exclusive release?
Images
  • Whisky.jpg
3 replies
Jun 14, 2017
548 posts
430 upvotes
I can't see this being a collectors piece since it's only an etched bottle and not hand signed. Small batch and maybe great for conversation but that's about it. I surely won't pay the premium for the etched bottle but that's just me. Hand signed and individually numbered and I might shell out.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
55 posts
13 upvotes
Yah I agree. It says that there are numbered bottles but not how many will be in circulation. Hand signature would make it much more worthwhile.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3319 posts
278 upvotes
Calgary
Plus limited runs of individually numbered bottles of whisky won't by itself make it rare or valuable. There are hundreds out there like that referred to usually as "small batch". In this case the $100 price is what it's expected to sell for from the distillery. The hand signature (other than being super cool) would only increase the value of the bottle if you didn't open it and only bought it for a specific collector. Even that would only increase it slightly.

"This third whisky release from the Wayne Gretzky Distillery is a premium small batch. 100% Ontario malted rye, unmalted rye and corn whiskies were individually mashed and distilled then aged in American oak barrels. The whisky is then finished for at least one hundred days in cabernet sauvignon barrels sourced from the Gretzky winery. Exclusive to Canada."

https://distiller.com/spirits/wayne-gre ... ian-whisky