Students

Locked: ways to improve your grammar/editing?

Mar 26, 2013
424 posts
63 upvotes
Toronto

ways to improve your grammar/editing?

anyone know any effective good ways to improve ones grammar/editing ?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
Take a course at your favorite university, read newspapers and novels, write more and have your work looked at.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Read good literature, and lots of it. For a lot of people, the only reading they do is online, and the only writing they do is in the form of phone texts...this may be more prevalent in younger generations. Force yourself to write with proper punctuation at all times, even when it's something trivial.

I have two teenaged sons; one is a voracious reader, is in AP English and has incredible writing skills. The other son hardly reads unless it's on the computer and his writing skills are much weaker. Take out a grammar book from the library or check out what's available online. Improving your grammar is completely doable, you just have to see good examples and also have your work critiqued by someone who knows how to write.
Aug 6, 2011
122 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a link I found with a quick Google search that I've used for a couple essays:
https://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/ ... neral.html
Be sure to also check out their external links, they're quite useful, Good Luck! ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2012
1457 posts
889 upvotes
lovetolearn wrote: anyone know any effective good ways to improve ones grammar/editing ?
Could start off by using capitals when beginning a sentence.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1836 posts
279 upvotes
An example of how to make use of internet resources to check spellings of words
GoodFellaz wrote: just a note, Canadians spell it as Jewellery not jewelry
Keigotw wrote: Jewellery vs Jewelry in Canada
Canada is in a unique position, being heavily influenced by both our American neighbours to the south and our historical parents, Britain. In the battle of jewellery vs jewelry, this unique identity is really highlighted in that Canadians use both variations.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
7 year bump
Be kind and civil with one another

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)