Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5689 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto

Ways to reduce insurance?

Will showing a driving record or license from other countries reduce the insurance?

What or how can I make my insurance go low? Age 25-30. In Toronto.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29214 posts
14988 upvotes
Toronto
Way too many variables on how insurance companies offer you coverage. Kind of car you drive, where you live, your driving experience, cost to repair your car, theft experience/classification of the car you drive, etc
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5294 posts
3770 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
There's really nothing you can really do. Biggest thing to reduce insurance cost is to move to a suburb or city with cheaper insurance.

Some insurance do take insurance abstracts to show your driving history which will lower insurance. Also see if there are additional discounts if you have safety equipment or dash cams.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
Get a safer car.
Move.
Remove penis. (if applicable)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29214 posts
14988 upvotes
Toronto
To add .. Typical bundling your home and car. You may want to consider letting your insurance company 'black box ' your car. I think some will offer you like 10% off.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
aqnd wrote: Get a safer car.
Move.
Remove penis. (if applicable)
We should all sue insurance companies for sexual discrimination!!

It's sad but it is true
Penalty Box
Oct 13, 2008
4833 posts
1757 upvotes
test9251 wrote: Will showing a driving record or license from other countries reduce the insurance?

What or how can I make my insurance go low? Age 25-30. In Toronto.
How many years of driving experience do you have?
How many years of continuous insurance coverage do you have?
Do you have MULTI-LINE (ie. adding house insurance)?
Ever thought about increasing deductibles? ... Collision and Comprehensive ... increasing to $1000 & $500, respectively, could help.
Employer discount? ... ask the insurance company if there is discount if you are linked to an employer or a university alumni.
Any driving infractions in the last 7 years? (ie. speeding tickets, other traffic tickets) ... IF NONE, that would help.
Coverage for leisure driving would be cheaper than using your vehicle for work.
Move to another area in Ontario where rates are cheaper ... refer to Auto Insurance Map in Ontario ... insurance rates depend on your postal code ... if lots of people get into accidents that reside in your area, then it is "deemed" that the drivers residing in the area area high risk drivers. It does NOT mean that accidents have to happen in your area, it's the drivers living in the area (look at Brampton ... it's the HIGHEST rates in Ontario)

Showing your driving record/license from another country does absolutely NOTHING to getting cheaper insurance in Canada.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
test9251 wrote: Age 25-30. In Toronto.
Well, there's half your problem....the GTA has the highest insurance rates in Canada.

Also if you can find a group that offers discounts, they will help significantly. I'm with TD Meloche Monnex through the engineers discount (PEO), the savings are quite significant. I'd never be able to insure two cars if it wasn't for that discount.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5689 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
I got my G1 in 2014 in first try and showed my driving experience and went straight for G test, which I passed in one try also on Oct 2016.

Clean driving record.

Will G1 affect the insurance? Or the duration from 2014-2017 that I have license?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35630 posts
21687 upvotes
Center of Universe
test9251 wrote: I got my G1 in 2014 in first try and showed my driving experience and went straight for G test, which I passed in one try also on Oct 2016.

Clean driving record.

Will G1 affect the insurance? Or the duration from 2014-2017 that I have license?
Did you take any drivers ed classes?
For new drivers, that will get you rated as a 3 star driver right off the bat.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5689 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
Yes i took lessons. 5 road lessons only though and its not one of the top driving schools.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5689 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
I placed postal code of Oakville.. insurance reduced by 50%. Will try to get certificate too.
Mar 8, 2010
192 posts
89 upvotes
Montreal
the best way to save on insurance premium is to shop around
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1114 posts
1129 upvotes
Calgary
We moved to North York last year (from out of province) and are paying about $4,000/year.. Insurance broker ran a postal code/address within 2km of us and it drops the rate $1,200/year.

That's based solely on location. Needless to say, we're moving when our lease is up..
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4664 posts
2786 upvotes
Don't hit anyone or anything. Don't speed.

Beige Corolla.

Move far far away from GTA
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8923 posts
1483 upvotes
Ontario
drivers ed must be within 36 months of the completion date to be credited on insurance
vkizzle wrote: Did you take any drivers ed classes?
For new drivers, that will get you rated as a 3 star driver right off the bat.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8923 posts
1483 upvotes
Ontario
you need to have proof of completion in order to get the drivers ed discount on your insurance and it must not be over 36 months old
this proof will be shown on your drivers history report, which is different from a drivers abstract.
test9251 wrote: Yes i took lessons. 5 road lessons only though and its not one of the top driving schools.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1695 posts
609 upvotes
Calgary
COSMIC5 wrote: you need to have proof of completion in order to get the drivers ed discount on your insurance and it must not be over 36 months old
this proof will be shown on your drivers history report, which is different from a drivers abstract.
You deal with insurance in alberta?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5689 posts
904 upvotes
Toronto
If I went for a brand new 2017 model, should I lease or just buy a car (with loan)?

For lease, what I don't like is that I will have to return the car.