Tags:
[OP]
May 22, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Ways to sell used car?

Hi,

I am looking to sell a 2.5 years old Subaru Impreza because we don't need the additional vehicle anymore. What are the ways to sell a used car here in GTA outside of Kijiji? I'd like to consider a more convenient option if possible to avoid dealing with the showing and ease of transaction.

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1167 posts
540 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
Facebook has become better than Kijiji recently. However the most convenient way is selling your car to the dealer, but you likely will get lowballed vs selling privately.
Oct 26, 2016
276 posts
345 upvotes
Other then Facebook, kijiji and autotrader, there's no other option of selling a car privately... Only other option is like the previous poster said, going to the dealer and losing a lot of money versus selling private
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1008 posts
308 upvotes
Vancouver
Trading it in to the dealer will lose you thousands of dollars vs selling in private so it's worth it selling it privately. It's not that much of a hassle anyways. Show it a couple times, they do an inspection, take payment and complete the paperwork.

Heck, the last two times I sold my car the first person that showed up bought it and paid with cash right away. Did everything within a couple hours.
[OP]
May 22, 2011
44 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the car is still on finance. How exactly should the transaction happen? Do I need to pay off the loan first?

And btw has anyone used sellmycar.ca? Just found it online but not sure if the reviews were fake because I had never heard of them
Mar 30, 2011
82 posts
62 upvotes
stoneking222 wrote: Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the car is still on finance. How exactly should the transaction happen? Do I need to pay off the loan first?

And btw has anyone used sellmycar.ca? Just found it online but not sure if the reviews were fake because I had never heard of them
You should pay off the loan first. Technically the finance company owns part of the vehicle until you pay it fully off and I don't expect many people to buy a vehicle that has a lien on it cause that just makes things complicated.
Jul 24, 2009
738 posts
520 upvotes
kitchener
stoneking222 wrote: Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that the car is still on finance. How exactly should the transaction happen? Do I need to pay off the loan first?

The finance company owns this vehicle until paid off.
You would not be able to sell it before then, because it would show a lien on the ownership.

If the buyer is willing to work with you and advance you the balance owing, then you might be able to do it that way, but with this Corona BS going on right now, it might take a while to process your final payment and release the car.

A stealer might be able to take care of this, but they will offer you literally half of what your car is worth on the private market, because they will want to sell it at market price themselves, while pocketing the difference....I would avoid these parasites at all costs.