Entertainment

WB/DC Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) origin movie Oct 4 2019 (outside DCEU continuity previously produced by Martin Scorsese)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2019 5:09 pm
Jun 13, 2009
549 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Looks cool. But I just hope they make him a true villain and not just an antihero (like Suicide Squads). Understanding why and how he became who he is is fine, but by the end of the film, he needs to be straight up evil.
This strikes me as one of those movies which follow the character through their journey to complete and utter maddness. The trailer looks amazing.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4948 posts
1118 upvotes
Initial reviews are out and they are OUTSTANDING.

I don’t put much faith in reviews, but I’m biased because the trailer looked awesome. Looking fwd to this one.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20784 posts
2163 upvotes
Toronto
TodayHello wrote: Initial reviews are out and they are OUTSTANDING.

I don’t put much faith in reviews, but I’m biased because the trailer looked awesome. Looking fwd to this one.
good stuff - the trailer does look very good.

Seems like a descent into madness for a poor soul with a series of unfortunate incidents - just so happens that the character is the Joker.

I like this - gritty style with some creepiness layered into it - hoping for a good film!!!
Last edited by ji2o0k on Sep 1st, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11693 posts
1894 upvotes
Mississauga
TodayHello wrote: Initial reviews are out and they are OUTSTANDING.

This is probably the hottest ticket to get at TIFF now, even though it comes out in regular theatres in about a month. If anyone plans on rushing for it, I'd recommend getting there about three hours before to have a good chance at getting in.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
11883 posts
3783 upvotes
Toronto
The internet has rediscovered Joaquin Phoenix's prior role in a DC property

Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3078 posts
1174 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: This is probably the hottest ticket to get at TIFF now, even though it comes out in regular theatres in about a month. If anyone plans on rushing for it, I'd recommend getting there about three hours before to have a good chance at getting in.
https://www.tiff.net/events/joker

It's Day 1 of TIFF and no available tickets are available for the 3 screenings during the festival. Bummer, looks like I'll probably try the rush line if I have the energy. LOL
Feb 19, 2006
910 posts
181 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Joker was amazing. A solid 10 out of 10. I watched it at the Toronto film festival. I was blessed to get tickets through Ticketmaster. Totally worth the $30 that I paid for the ticket. The only gripe I have, is that I watched it at the princess of Wales theatre. Not the best place to watch movies. I definitely prefer Scotiabank theatres.

You read it here first:

Best actor: Joaquin Phoenix
Best supporting actor: Robert DeNiro
Best picture: Joker
Aug 22, 2011
97 posts
39 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Reviews are just OK, 76% on rotten tomatoes. I would have expected higher.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18687 posts
1982 upvotes
NTWKid wrote: Reviews are just OK, 76% on rotten tomatoes. I would have expected higher.
RT is skewed.
https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-revi ... es-broken/
After its Venice Film Festival premiere, Joker had an 86% score on Rotten Tomatoes based on 49 reviews, which is great. It also has an average rating of 8.66 out of 10, which is also great. But looking at just the top critics, it was "rotten" with a 45% score out 11 reviews - 5 fresh, 6 rotten. The math checks out on that, but what's surprising is that, out of those 11 reviews, Joker actually has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10. That means a film rated over 7/10 is being aggregated to under 50%.
There was also another critic who scored both Spider-Man FFH and Joker 3/5 but Spider-Man was shown as fresh while Joker was show as rotten on RT. Not sure what's going on.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Feb 19, 2006
910 posts
181 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Joker tickets are available for purchase through Cineplex. Get them before the screenings sell out.

I bought my IMAX tickets Thurs Oct 3, Fri and Sat at Scotiabank theatre.

Having already watched it, I found it amazing. Here's an IGN review for those on the fence.

Didn't see this mentioned. Joker won the Golden Lion at the Venice film festival. First time a comic book movie has won something at a film festival.

For those interested Jojo Rabbit ✌️ won the Toronto film festival. Due mainly to the fake/real Disney controversy of it getting an edited/limited release

Antigone won Best Canadian feature film, and will be representing Canada at the Oscars as best international picture.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9255 posts
1469 upvotes
Victoria
Haz wrote: RT is skewed.
https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-revi ... es-broken/

There was also another critic who scored both Spider-Man FFH and Joker 3/5 but Spider-Man was shown as fresh while Joker was show as rotten on RT. Not sure what's going on.
The thing is I don't think many people will rate under 5 when it's a 10 point scale. In my mind I completely removed the first 5 points. So a 7/10 is really a 2/5, 8/10 is a 3/5, 9/10 is 4/5, and 10/10 is 5/5.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3078 posts
1174 upvotes
websurfer wrote: Joker tickets are available for purchase through Cineplex. Get them before the screenings sell out.

I bought my IMAX tickets Thurs Oct 3, Fri and Sat at Scotiabank theatre.

Having already watched it, I found it amazing.
OCD? That's 3 viewings on opening weekend and you also mentioned seeing it at TIFF already. Thought fellow RFD members only poked fun at me for doing multiple-viewings of movies. LOL

Regardless, we have tickets for the Thursday screening in IMAX and I can't wait to see it! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Feb 19, 2006
910 posts
181 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mr_Fanta wrote: OCD? That's 3 viewings on opening weekend and you also mentioned seeing it at TIFF already. Thought fellow RFD members only poked fun at me for doing multiple-viewings of movies. LOL

Regardless, we have tickets for the Thursday screening in IMAX and I can't wait to see it! Smiling Face With Sunglasses
There's a lot to take in.

What makes for repeat viewings are:

1. The intense talk scenes, visually stunning cinematography and great soundtrack.

2. It's a real movie with a great story and dialogue that differentiates it from the the usual comic book movies.

3. Joaquin Phoenix losing himself in the role and the fact that the movie parallels the real world creates a surreal and immersive movie going experience.

The main thing I got leaving the theatre was that I like seeing Joker on the big screen and knowing that this comic book movie will be discussed along with other great movies not necessarily comic book movies, but great movies in general.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)