• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 9:54 pm
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
338 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON

WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD problems

I bought one of these WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, but I am having a hard time using it. The motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS Pro Wifi, and I can't get Windows installed on it.

Tried Windows 10 2004 twice. First time it failed around 84%. Second time failed at 61%. Tried Windows 10 1909. It managed to install, but as I was copying a file around 4.5GB from my NAS onto the C:\Users\%username%\Desktop folder, it failed. Windows gave me a BSOD and it shut down and rebooted. Checked the Windows Event Logs and there are multiple (as in over 300) EventID 7 Disk error where the details says The Device, \Device\Harddiso0\DR0, has a bad block.

Went back to the store, exchanged the same model, came home and tried again. Windows 10 2004 installed on the first try, but when trying the same test with copying the file, BSOD again. Checked the Event Logs, and similar errors all over the logs.

I then removed the drive from the slot on top of the motherboard, and installed it onto the slot at the bottom of the motherboard, as this board has two NVMe slots. There were similar problems as in freezing, crashing and disk errors, so I think I can at least rule out that the NVMe slot is defective.

I then tried installing Linux Mint on it. The OS installs, but when copying a bunch of smaller files of less than 700MB from my NAS, they couldn't be read, saying something about permission error, but I have the proper permissions, and I even sudo changed the permissions of the files to 777 so that everyone can read/write the files. I can't even delete the files. Very frustrating.

Am I doing something wrong? How do I test this drive properly? I can't even get the OS installed onto this SSD, and if I actually manage to install the OS, it BSODs on me.

Unfortunately, I don't have another PC with an NVMe slot I can try this. Thanks.
Images
  • disk-error.png
  • disk-error-002.PNG
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2873 posts
220 upvotes
Burlington
Only time I've ever had something similar happen was when my ram decided to fail.

Try running on a single stick and swapping it if that doesn't do it.

I just got one of the sn750 drives and installed it as my os drive no issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
Do you have a SATA drive around ? You could try to install windows on it to see if the problem is with the NVME interface

Also there is nothing to lose trying running Memtest86 just to make sure nothing funny there
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44071 posts
7593 upvotes
That's weird. I bought the same version but 500GB with heat sink. It is attached to my old motherboard via a PCI-E nvme card. No issues.
Blanka
May 29, 2008
805 posts
339 upvotes
You probably got very unlucky and got 2 bad drives in a row. HD Sentinel can tell you if there are bad sectors. You might need to get an enclosure for your NVMe drive if you want to rule out your motherboard's slots.
[OP]
Oct 12, 2005
338 posts
126 upvotes
Markham, ON
Removed one of the RAM modules. Windows installation failed with this error:

Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070003

Took out the RAM and replaced it with the other one that was set aside. Windows was installed. Booted into Windows, still saw two instances of the Event ID 7 disk/bad block errors in the System Event Logs. When I tried to copy a large file, it again gave me a BSOD.

Then as suggested, I tried to install it on a SATA SSD, but I still got the same 0x80070003 errors... Tried it twice with each piece of RAM, separately, and I still can't get it installed.

Still at a loss as to which component is the culprit here. To tell you the truth, I don't really want Windows on this PC... just wanted to be sure there is no issues with the SSD, and it just so happens that Windows is the one complaining about bad blocks, and it's relatively quick to install... and then I ran down this rabbit hole.

This system has been running Linux Mint fine since March 2019. This is also my Plex Server and I use it to record TV with an OTA antenna (onto an internal SATA hard drive, not SSD). Haven't had any issues with it. I even use it to encode HEVC with Handbrake if there's stuff I record that I want to keep. Now, I am not sure what to think.

Will try to find a USB-NVMe enclosure from Amazon and test it later... if not, maybe I'll just set aside the WD SN750 SSD and use it for my next build some time next year. Thanks, everyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
My guess from all the above is your MB is the problem.
May 29, 2008
805 posts
339 upvotes
Why don't you try running Hard Disk Sentinel then to check the SSD. There's a Windows and Linux version.

Also memtest86 to test your RAM. I'm pretty sure it's the SSD though, since your system was fine before installing it.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
toomuchpie wrote: Why don't you try running Hard Disk Sentinel then to check the SSD. There's a Windows and Linux version.

Also memtest86 to test your RAM. I'm pretty sure it's the SSD though, since your system was fine before installing it.
I think OP is building a new system so it has never been fine
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2005
1306 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
Desperadude wrote: I think OP is building a new system so it has never been fine
OP Said : This system has been running Linux Mint fine since March 2019.
Graphic Designer
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1303 posts
1056 upvotes
Montr
perfectg wrote: OP Said : This system has been running Linux Mint fine since March 2019.
Haha true. Too much text to read ....
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3082 posts
1232 upvotes
Windsor
2x bad drives, same failure mode? Super unlikely.

Like normal, check voltages, check for overheating (maybe you hit the chipset heatsink and now it's overheating), memtest for a couple passes, occt for general system stability testing, etc.

You might also want to do a chkdsk on the source drive to be sure that's not an issue. Replace the sata cable if you have one.

Likelihood of the drive being the problem is low.

Wd also has a health checking app I think.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Oct 11, 2013
217 posts
61 upvotes
Almost American
Well if it can't find files I would point out your install source... I've never seen RAM being a culprit of bad blocks being indicated on the drive.