Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

WD Green SSD 1TB @ $119.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 12:28 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: Meant to get this in before your answer but I just did a QLC and a TLC, both premium drives...
Ya, I knew what you were referring to but a good TLC SATA drive won't have that issue cause the direct to TLC speeds are bottlenecked by SATA anyways. Which was what I was trying to say before. I just underestimated how crappy some TLC SATA drives are Face With Tears Of Joy.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, you missed the quoted block there lol. Ya, you're gonna take a bath on high end NVMe drives because most people just don't need them. I switch back and forth between a P34A80 and a WD SN520, which doesn't even pretend to be a high end drive, and I can't tell a difference most of the time.
Last edited by Jep4444 on Jul 23rd, 2020 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Ya, I knew what you were referring to but a good TLC SATA drive won't have that issue cause the direct to TLC speeds are bottlenecked by SATA anyways. Which was what I was trying to say before. I just underestimated how crappy some TLC SATA drives are Face With Tears Of Joy.

EDIT: Just saw your edit, you missed the quoted block there lol. Ya, you're gonna take a bath on high end NVMe drives because most people just don't need them. I switch back and forth between a P34A80 and a WD SN520, which doesn't even pretend to be a high end drive, and I can't tell a difference most of the time.
The ONLY people that need any high end drives are media guys... Most don't realize that they will very rarely, if ever, hit anything close to rated spec. I try to tell people this; most of what you see is simply the seek time difference between a HDD and SSD.

OK maybe not the only... but you get where I am going. Listed specs are all a game of sales and marketing.
3916 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: The ONLY people that need any high end drives are media guys... Most don't realize that they will very rarely, if ever, hit anything close to rated spec. I try to tell people this; most of what you see is simply the seek time difference between a HDD and SSD.

OK maybe not the only... but you get where I am going. Listed specs are all a game of sales and marketing.
I think the only time I've ever hit full speed on an NVMe is when I was cloning one to another and zipping/unzipping files. Right now, a lot of gamers think they'll need them for next gen games, cause the PS5 has an "uber" fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe in it. I'll believe it to be necessary when I see it.

When I moved from SATA to NVMe, I was kind of caught off guard by how snappy everything was, but that faded quickly after a day or so. I'm assuming that's just an improvement in IOPS I'm noticing? Only reason I don't tell people to just buy SATA is the price diff is negligible anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I think the only time I've ever hit full speed on an NVMe is when I was cloning one to another and zipping/unzipping files. Right now, a lot of gamers think they'll need them for next gen games, cause the PS5 has an "uber" fast PCIe 4.0 NVMe in it. I'll believe it to be necessary when I see it.

When I moved from SATA to NVMe, I was kind of caught off guard by how snappy everything was, but that faded quickly after a day or so. I'm assuming that's just an improvement in IOPS I'm noticing? Only reason I don't tell people to just buy SATA is the price diff is negligible anyways.
So I always LOVE the gaming question as it relates to SSDs. The only thing an SSD does is speed up scene transition when gaming and having it pulled from storage. Gaming, ESPECIALLY ONLINE, is so much your actual network speed and optimization. SATA to NVMe... IMO... The only time one will see a visible difference between ANY SSD is when you perform applications that need such.... things that push your transfer speeds which are most obvious in large video transfers...or pcs...or music. I have been running drives in my systems since around 2015 that are bootable and run at extreme speeds... 5/10/20GB/s... Drives pushing up to 2 million IOPS. There is nothing better than having someone over and being able to ask them to tell the difference. Nobody yet....at least not in everyday typical PC activity...because the seek times are all similar in a SSD. Let's face it... we all like the great names, pretty colors and fancy branding of a device you will never see when working in most systems!!!
3916 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: So I always LOVE the gaming question as it relates to SSDs. The only thing an SSD does is speed up scene transition when gaming and having it pulled from storage. Gaming, ESPECIALLY ONLINE, is so much your actual network speed and optimization. SATA to NVMe... IMO... The only time one will see a visible difference between ANY SSD is when you perform applications that need such.... things that push your transfer speeds which are most obvious in large video transfers...or pcs...or music. I have been running drives in my systems since around 2015 that are bootable and run at extreme speeds... 5/10/20GB/s... Drives pushing up to 2 million IOPS. There is nothing better than having someone over and being able to ask them to tell the difference. Nobody yet....at least not in everyday typical PC activity...because the seek times are all similar in a SSD. Let's face it... we all like the great names, pretty colors and fancy branding of a device you will never see when working in most systems!!!
Well the premise is that you can stream assets from a fast enough SSD on the fly. A problem that can also be solved by just throwing more RAM at the game. The thing is, we haven't seen any games even try to do this yet but people are convinced the PS5's SSD will render old SSDs obsolete. It'll probably be years before it practically matters and any SSD one is buying now will probably be obsolete by then anyways.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
And thats where I am coming from though. Most people don't realize that information is loaded into RAM. So many think it pulls straight up from the HDD/SSD, when it comes to games and software. Having an SSD and Windows 10 helps you when you have little memory, but it cant fix things when you need to be absolutely the fastest. I was the first to tell people to turn off Pagefile way back in 2010 and it wasnt until Intel actually started recommending it for their SSDs 3 years later that people stopped calling me a complete idiot. I still have some vicious emails stored away from people who did not believe me. Even now, if you don't turn off Pagefile when you have plenty of RAM, your system is still using it first and foremost. You are not getting that full pop from your memory. Yes it is alot less noticeable in SSDs than HDDs but its still there.

I just sold my i9 system with 96GB of HyperX DDR4 3000 memory... guy gets it tomorrow. He is some happy...
3916 upvotes
Toronto
flamenko wrote: And thats where I am coming from though. Most people don't realize that information is loaded into RAM. So many think it pulls straight up from the HDD/SSD, when it comes to games and software. Having an SSD and Windows 10 helps you when you have little memory, but it cant fix things when you need to be absolutely the fastest. I was the first to tell people to turn off Pagefile way back in 2010 and it wasnt until Intel actually started recommending it for their SSDs 3 years later that people stopped calling me a complete idiot. I still have some vicious emails stored away from people who did not believe me. Even now, if you don't turn off Pagefile when you have plenty of RAM, your system is still using it first and foremost. You are not getting that full pop from your memory. Yes it is alot less noticeable in SSDs than HDDs but its still there.

I just sold my i9 system with 96GB of HyperX DDR4 3000 memory... guy gets it tomorrow. He is some happy...
Some poorly optimized programs (mostly games) throw a fit if you outright disable the page file. I just keep it small so very little can worm it's way in there.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
3274 posts
2144 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Is this good enough for a PS4 Pro?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15619 posts
13277 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I'll take it!
AlexJosh wrote: Lol I have $150 credits in my Amazon account, that doesn't make it free...

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15619 posts
13277 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2009
6109 posts
7131 upvotes
Whitby
Wouldn't a non ssd green have similar performance? And more space for cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
dyalect wrote: Wouldn't a non ssd green have similar performance? And more space for cheaper.
No, as slow as this SSD is, it's way faster than a HDD, let alone one as bad as the WD Green HDD (which WD has re-branded as Blue due to the Green's poor reputation).
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: There is no head on an SSD so no there is no head parking issues Face With Tears Of Joy.
You didn't understand my post.
I now the differences between an HDD and an SDD.

Western Digital has been making Green drives for years and the point of the Green HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) was to offer lower running costs due to lower power use as well as the Hard Drive heads would autopark themselves instantly or very quickly after reading data.
This autopark feature actually caused problems as, from the factory, it was configured in such a way that it increased wear on the drive and from there caused a whole bunch of other related issues.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck_TO wrote: You didn't understand my post.
I now the differences between an HDD and an SDD.

Western Digital has been making Green drives for years and the point of the Green HDD's (Hard Disk Drives) was to offer lower running costs due to lower power use as well as the Hard Drive heads would autopark themselves instantly or very quickly after reading data.
This autopark feature actually caused problems as, from the factory, it was configured in such a way that it increased wear on the drive and from there caused a whole bunch of other related issues.
Apparently I did lol. Anyways, I'm well aware of the head parking issues on the WD Green drives. The discovery that they were, in fact identical to Red drives aside from a firmware difference. WD's subsequent modifications to block said firmware flashes and finally just renaming the drives to Blue. All in the name of not fixing the very simple to fix issue...
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: Apparently I did lol. Anyways, I'm well aware of the head parking issues on the WD Green drives. The discovery that they were, in fact identical to Red drives aside from a firmware difference. WD's subsequent modifications to block said firmware flashes and finally just renaming the drives to Blue. All in the name of not fixing the very simple to fix issue...
It's great how you can take a $60 drive and resell it for double the cost just on firmware.
Reminds of when you could take a new controller and add it to a drive and you would have 50% greater storage capacity. Saving you hundreds of dollars.

It's like TV's. There are only a small number of manufacturers that companies buy from. They write their own custom firmware and add their own bezel. The same screen hardware cost can vary by hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Canuck_TO wrote: It's great how you can take a $60 drive and resell it for double the cost just on firmware.
Reminds of when you could take a new controller and add it to a drive and you would have 50% greater storage capacity. Saving you hundreds of dollars.

It's like TV's. There are only a small number of manufacturers that companies buy from. They write their own custom firmware and add their own bezel. The same screen hardware cost can vary by hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Not unlike Tesla's where a software update will unlock more battery capacity.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck_TO wrote: It's great how you can take a $60 drive and resell it for double the cost just on firmware.

What drive was that?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: What drive was that?
This was a few years ago. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You could do it with a Miniscribe 3650 hard drive but you could also do it with Seagate drives as well. I had only tried it using a Miniscribe drive.
Instead of using an MFM controller you would use an RLL controller and get 50% more space.
(FYI, MFM and RLL controllers use different compression methods to store data on the drive, with RLL being the more efficient method)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
Canuck_TO wrote: This was a few years ago. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
You could do it with a Miniscribe 3650 hard drive but you could also do it with Seagate drives as well. I had only tried it using a Miniscribe drive.
Instead of using an MFM controller you would use an RLL controller and get 50% more space.
(FYI, MFM and RLL controllers use different compression methods to store data on the drive, with RLL being the more efficient method)
I have a 3TB Seagate that I usedl as a backup drive, anyway to find out if this'll work on my drive?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)