Computers & Electronics

WDC Warranty Status: Out of Region

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 1:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2065 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto

WDC Warranty Status: Out of Region

Just purchased a 4TB WDC desktop hard drive from amazon.ca and received it today. Amazon's description shows "2-Year manufacturer limited warranty" but https://support.wdc.com/ shows status "Out of Region" and no Expiration Date.

Does it mean that Western Digital does not provide any warranty? How does it work? TIA.

Edit: Here is the listing https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-Desktop-Hard ... ics&sr=1-1
  • 2-Year manufacturer limited warranty
  • Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca.

Edit 2: Just noticed that if I change the country to US, the "Expiration Date" shows Dec 12, 2021, the expected date. I looks to me that Amazon.ca selling in Canada merchandise for US market violates actually manufacturer's warranty agreement. I have doubts that WDC would honor it.

Really interested on what you guys think about this.
Last edited by andrew4321 on Dec 11th, 2019 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2765 posts
779 upvotes
Toronto
andrew4321 wrote: WDC Warranty Status: Out of Region
The WD drive that you received was not intended to be sold in Canada, hence no warranty.

That situation is not limited to just WD, other manufacturers of computer components and electronics will not offer warranty, if product in question is sold other than the designated country.
Jr. Member
Jul 6, 2017
148 posts
95 upvotes
This can happen when you buy from third-party sellers on Amazon or other sites with open "marketplaces." They import products from other countries where they're priced cheaper, so they can make more profit at your expense (since you get a product with no warranty). Amazon is particularly bad because they pool all similar products from multiple sellers into one bin, so this could happen even if your order was "sold and shipped by Amazon."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2527 posts
1305 upvotes
London
double check and see if ur item was shipped and sold by amazon.ca and not just some 3rd party seller. if it was sold directly by amazon u can contact wd and provide them the invoice they should be able to update the warranty. if this was sold by a 3rd party seller contact them asap and request a return if the seller ignores u or says no then file an A-Z claim with amazon pretty much the same as opening a case with ebay stating that the item has no warranty amazon will force the seller to take the return and they will refund u in full.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 9, 2010
2749 posts
910 upvotes
Windsor
I get this with stuff I buy in the US often enough, so I just set my "home" as my PO box in the states. If I need warrantee, I just drove over and mail it (cheaper than mailing from here anyways).

Very annoying. I get this crap from Amazon/Google as well, hopefully they never enforce their geolocking.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2065 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
aaron158 wrote: double check and see if ur item was shipped and sold by amazon.ca and not just some 3rd party seller. if it was sold directly by amazon u can contact wd and provide them the invoice they should be able to update the warranty. if this was sold by a 3rd party seller contact them asap and request a return if the seller ignores u or says no then file an A-Z claim with amazon pretty much the same as opening a case with ebay stating that the item has no warranty amazon will force the seller to take the return and they will refund u in full.
The listing says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca"
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
20029 posts
5413 upvotes
Good Morning
andrew4321 wrote: The listing says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca"
That's the listing. But under your invoice, does it also say shipped and sold by Amazon? Sometimes it's a bit confusing as it's listed on Amazon but the best price is not actually sold by Amazon.


Still, id contact Amazon as soon as possible.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2065 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto
coriolis wrote: That's the listing. But under your invoice, does it also say shipped and sold by Amazon? Sometimes it's a bit confusing as it's listed on Amazon but the best price is not actually sold by Amazon.


Still, id contact Amazon as soon as possible.
The invoice says "Sold by Amazon.com.ca, Inc."
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 25, 2004
2527 posts
1305 upvotes
London
andrew4321 wrote: The listing says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca"
ok then all u need to do is contact western digital with a copy of your amazon invoice they will fix it up for u no problem since it was sold directly by amazon and amazon is one of there authorized distributors. if u have trouble getting it fixed then just return the drive to amazon is taking returns till jan 31th on anything bought this month so u have lots of time to get it if fixed with wd.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
7964 posts
2657 upvotes
Maple
For me, I asked 3rd party seller from Amazon.ca before I buy.

Top