Expired Hot Deals

WDTV live $79.99 free shipping (Memory Express)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2010 2:24 am
23 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19259 posts
6258 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I would have jumped on this not too long ago but now that we've had a taste of netflix I really don't want to invest in a box that won't do it just in case I do end up deciding to subscribe in the future.

I'll keep the PS3 going as the media center for the time being, I think. Prices are probably going down in Canada on the non-netflix regular version as suddenly the "plus" version actually means something here.
Mar 3, 2008
145 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks OP. This is hot. I just got the Patriot Box, hmm, and am debating to get this one too.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2005
2051 posts
127 upvotes
Ordered one! Thanks OP!
But why do they charge me 13% ON HST?
I thought it only apply to business operate in Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2008
1140 posts
321 upvotes
I don't think Netflix does HD streaming?
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19259 posts
6258 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
taank wrote: I don't think Netflix does HD streaming?

It does.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1757 posts
227 upvotes
Burlington
I bought one of these a few days ago.

Pros :
    It plays EVERYTHING, and without a hitch
    Incredibly easy to use and setup
Cons :
    Interface is VERY dull, especially when you look at alternatives, like XBMC or the Boxee Box
    Remote is a piece of ****
    Doesn't seem like it can be upgraded or expanded upon whatsoever
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
1336 posts
156 upvotes
akt921 wrote: Ordered one! Thanks OP!
But why do they charge me 13% ON HST?
I thought it only apply to business operate in Ontario.

That is the beauty of HST, since they are obligated to charge your GST and now GST is harmonized with your ontario PST, by law they have to charge your whole HST. That is just beautiful, you can not dodge pst anymore by ordering from out-of-province. let's enjoy tea party, get rid of sales tax, implement flat rate.
Apr 2, 2009
169 posts
47 upvotes
mississauga
sz1999 wrote: That is the beauty of HST, since they are obligated to charge your GST and now GST is harmonized with your ontario PST, by law they have to charge your whole HST. That is just beautiful, you can not dodge pst anymore by ordering from out-of-province. let's enjoy tea party, get rid of sales tax, implement flat rate.

+1 I'm with this guy. :mad:
Sep 9, 2008
714 posts
263 upvotes
Langley
BinaryJay wrote: I would have jumped on this not too long ago but now that we've had a taste of netflix I really don't want to invest in a box that won't do it just in case I do end up deciding to subscribe in the future.

I'll keep the PS3 going as the media center for the time being, I think. Prices are probably going down in Canada on the non-netflix regular version as suddenly the "plus" version actually means something here.

"Plus" Does crap here. Read up on the complaints - It doesnt work in Canada. WD says they're "looking into it", and it might never be implemented. A lot of heat on WD for dirty advertising because of it - Speculation is it's a Netflix/WD Licensing issue. Apple TV was released and works... and it's jailbreakable. Right now, it's the best bet for Canadians... it should be able to play all content through JB apps in the future. Don't buy the live, thinking you'll get netflix anytime soon though.
Dec 23, 2007
79 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Pick this up from Staples for $74.72 +tax after PM.

Not a bad deal at all.
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes
Out of stock... Seems like only available in physical stores now.
Nov 1, 2004
766 posts
26 upvotes
Anyone know a similar or a bit more expensive deal somewhere, please let me know :)
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3375 posts
214 upvotes
Kingston
Out of Stock at Online Store, but available at retail outlets, for those in cities that have them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario
pm at a bigbox, YMMV

I've had this for a few months, hacked with the latest B-RAD, adds tons of functionality, notably youtubeHD which is disabled natively.
Not sure if it's more glitchy with the hack but if you B-RAD, you'll need to read up on telnet and changing files; and also problem solving whenever something locks it up or doesn't play.

I also am using a Dlink wireless dongle with it, plays everything off my home server.