Computers & Electronics

WDTV Live Plus wireless USB adapters, performance?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2011 10:44 am
Tags:
Jan 22, 2003
381 posts
19 upvotes

WDTV Live Plus wireless USB adapters, performance?

My setup: Linksys G router + Belkin N USB adapter + 15 ft horizontally thru walls.

I picked up a Belkin N wireless USB adapter (F5D8053), however it's a v3 revision ... the supported adapter list says v4. Anyway, plugged it in, and it works.

I'm able to stream radio stations on it, however when I play some lower-res movies via WinXP network share (700MB DivX movies, not 720p, 1080p), they start to stutter, and then the audio drops out after 2-3 seconds ...

This is just sad :(

I don't have any other network traffic besides my wired PC downloading some torrents (I've even turned that off), and nothing seems to fix it.

1) Is there any way to test how fast I'm actually streaming? (Is there an app I can put on the PC to see how fast data is being SENT?)
2) Anyone with better luck on any other wireless USB adapter? (Remember, WDTV Live Plus is finicky and only supports some adapters)
3) Going wired it not an option. Has anyone had any luck, and/or would this be FASTER? Adding a NetGear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter WNCE2001 .. i.e. wireless through the RJ45 port.

Not able to purchase a brand new N router now, or a wireless media bridge, so trying to figure out if I this bottle neck is caused by the WDTV live adapter I'm using.
1 reply
Jan 22, 2003
381 posts
19 upvotes
UPDATE: Current set up is now working ... Haven't tried streaming crazy 720p or 1080p videos, but I'm happy that 700MB-2G DivX files are streaming fine.

Problem was pinpointed to ZoneAlarm on the PC I'm streaming from, for one reason or another freaking out and limiting/inspecting all packets ... Closing ZA seems to have fixed it, but I need to figure out what the problem is so I can put in an exception ... Don't want to be running without a firewall on the PC.

UPDATE2: Maybe not ... still getting stuttering ... can't pinpoint it down to anything specific at this point .... :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)