Sports & Recreation

Are we expecting ski resorts to open this year?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2020 7:40 am
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
899 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto

Are we expecting ski resorts to open this year?

Particularly in ON and QC. Just thinking Canada's wonderland wasn't opened, but parks have been opened for a long time now. Which one does ski resort resemble closer to...
13 replies
Jun 23, 2016
286 posts
327 upvotes
Sudbury, ON
I read in the local news that my city in Ontario is making arrangements to open our little hill. Best case scenario they're open with restrictions, it could possible be up to regional/municipal governments.
Feb 9, 2005
827 posts
124 upvotes
jillaryit wrote: Particularly in ON and QC. Just thinking Canada's wonderland wasn't opened, but parks have been opened for a long time now. Which one does ski resort resemble closer to...
I really hope so. Easy activity to physically distance. Only thing that would really suck will be the restriction of amenities (probably a must to open). I'm use to changing in the car into my gear. But there will certainly be minimal lounge, change area, eating area access. But still better than nothing. It will be hard for families with young kids that need those amenities. Hopefully someone will be creative and come up with a safe option.
Nov 15, 2011
210 posts
213 upvotes
NORTH YORK
this is mt st louis

Ski Well. Be Well. Together let's care for one another!
Fall Podium Pass Sale begins October 19th at 12:01am. Quantities will be limited. The best way to guarantee skiing and snowboarding at MSLM in 2020/21 is to purchase a Podium Pass. Read more about the COVID19 Assurance Policy here.

Facial coverings will be required in chalets, lift lines and on the chairlift. Highly recommended when skiing and riding down the mountain
Physical Distancing - 2m apart inside and outside
Use your car as your Base Lodge - outside is the safest place to be!
Credit & Debit are preferred methods of payment
No daily locker access or bagged lunches permitted in Chalet
Arrive together - Ride together. Lift attendants will not require guests to ride chairlifts with strangers
Increased sanitization stations, increased facility cleaning frequency, new air filtration system
No walk-up sales. Lift tickets, snowschool lessons & rentals must be booked in advance at www.mountstlouis.com
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
899 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
g5spark wrote: this is mt st louis

Ski Well. Be Well. Together let's care for one another!
Fall Podium Pass Sale begins October 19th at 12:01am. Quantities will be limited. The best way to guarantee skiing and snowboarding at MSLM in 2020/21 is to purchase a Podium Pass. Read more about the COVID19 Assurance Policy here.

Facial coverings will be required in chalets, lift lines and on the chairlift. Highly recommended when skiing and riding down the mountain
Physical Distancing - 2m apart inside and outside
Use your car as your Base Lodge - outside is the safest place to be!
Credit & Debit are preferred methods of payment
No daily locker access or bagged lunches permitted in Chalet
Arrive together - Ride together. Lift attendants will not require guests to ride chairlifts with strangers
Increased sanitization stations, increased facility cleaning frequency, new air filtration system
No walk-up sales. Lift tickets, snowschool lessons & rentals must be booked in advance at www.mountstlouis.com
That’s kinda what I expected to happen. Limit the number of people on the mountain with advance tickets. This will actually be pretty sweet with less people on the mountains, more space for everyone and less crowds and wait to go up.

My regular skiing gear already has face covering and gloves, so the sport is kinda COVID proof, also just don’t touch any part of the lift with your hands (which I don’t anyways), and there’s like no risk
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3145 posts
682 upvotes
thanks for posting. It's interesting to see "no bagged lunches." it sucks but understandable.
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Jan 17, 2017
234 posts
132 upvotes
Saw some places in the US require medical or multi layer face masks in line and around the hill. Your regular balaclava and neck warmers might not work. Waiting to see what my local hills say.

Only worry I have is how crammed the lines will be to the sides. Some places I've been have crazy amount of people around you. The two local hills I go to have lots of room to make the line spaced out.. But can't see myself going to tremblant this year. Spacing at lifts at tremblant will be a challenge at most lifts. We'll see what happens.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43671 posts
6917 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
vistaliving wrote: I really hope so. Easy activity to physically distance. Only thing that would really suck will be the restriction of amenities (probably a must to open). I'm use to changing in the car into my gear. But there will certainly be minimal lounge, change area, eating area access. But still better than nothing. It will be hard for families with young kids that need those amenities. Hopefully someone will be creative and come up with a safe option.
Bon fires? Hot chocolate ... hard to eat outside. Power bars and meal replacements with hot chocolate :-/
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2183 posts
217 upvotes
I'm super pumped for the upcoming season. I got out riding allot last year and was disappointed when the hills closed early.

Bring a thermos of hot chocolate. Cooler full of sandwiches. It's not that much of a sacrifice. Hopefully they sell food and drink outdoors.

I bought season passes at St Louis. It looks like they might be sold out now. I have no issue with getting dressed, warming up and eating in the car. To me it's a small price go pay for being able to ski/snowboard. I have no plans to go in the Chalet at all except to use the bathroom.

I usually go for when the lifts turn at 8:30am and try to get in as much as I can before it gets busy. It's harder the days who whole family comes.

If you have little ones get their early so you can have a close parking spot. Have lots of treats and make sure you and they are dressed properly. The idea is to make the day fun as possible so they want to go back.

Ski equipment might end up being like bike equipment, sell out quick and hard to find. If you need gear buy it sooner than later. Don't get ripped off by Kijiji resellers later. 2021 gear is starting to hit the stores. There are still some decent clearance deals but they are getting harder to find.
[OP]
Jan 29, 2010
899 posts
654 upvotes
Toronto
RideGuy wrote: I'm super pumped for the upcoming season. I got out riding allot last year and was disappointed when the hills closed early.

Bring a thermos of hot chocolate. Cooler full of sandwiches. It's not that much of a sacrifice. Hopefully they sell food and drink outdoors.

I bought season passes at St Louis. It looks like they might be sold out now. I have no issue with getting dressed, warming up and eating in the car. To me it's a small price go pay for being able to ski/snowboard. I have no plans to go in the Chalet at all except to use the bathroom.

I usually go for when the lifts turn at 8:30am and try to get in as much as I can before it gets busy. It's harder the days who whole family comes.

If you have little ones get their early so you can have a close parking spot. Have lots of treats and make sure you and they are dressed properly. The idea is to make the day fun as possible so they want to go back.

Ski equipment might end up being like bike equipment, sell out quick and hard to find. If you need gear buy it sooner than later. Don't get ripped off by Kijiji resellers later. 2021 gear is starting to hit the stores. There are still some decent clearance deals but they are getting harder to find.
I bought the silver pass from St. Louis. There’s only 40 or so left. There were 250 left yesterday. Hopefully they are limiting the passes well, don’t want to be in a massive line going up the lift during Covid
Mar 10, 2004
601 posts
189 upvotes
RideGuy wrote: I have no issue with getting dressed, warming up and eating in the car. To me it's a small price go pay for being able to ski/snowboard.
Don t most without small kids already do this? Have always eaten in the car with my kid. I can always find a seat. Never dressed in the chalet. Less things for me to lose or carry around.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2183 posts
217 upvotes
tempperm wrote: Don t most without small kids already do this? Have always eaten in the car with my kid. I can always find a seat. Never dressed in the chalet. Less things for me to lose or carry around.
I do not like walking through the parking lot with my hardboots on. It ruins the toes and heels over time so I usually put my boots on in the Chalet.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2183 posts
217 upvotes
jillaryit wrote: I bought the silver pass from St. Louis. There’s only 40 or so left. There were 250 left yesterday. Hopefully they are limiting the passes well, don’t want to be in a massive line going up the lift during Covid
It looks like the adult Gold Pass is sold out. Still Silver and Bronze available.

I am also hoping they don't oversell the passes.
Mar 10, 2004
601 posts
189 upvotes
RideGuy wrote: I do not like walking through the parking lot with my hardboots on. It ruins the toes and heels over time so I usually put my boots on in the Chalet.
I have no problems walking anywhere in boots. Look at the bright side u get a new pair sooner now.