Home & Garden

We hired some random people from kijiji to take care of our attic mold and I think we got scammed.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 9:47 pm
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes

We hired some random people from kijiji to take care of our attic mold and I think we got scammed.

Hired these two guys who sprayed white anti-mold primer paint and used sealant on the attic mold (atleast that's what they said) and left after reassuring us they are enough to kill mold couple weeks ago. I think it temporarily controls the mold growth and I doubt it would hold for longer or kill the mold. Do you think what they did will be enough? We are selling the house in few months so I was wondering if we should get someone to do a proper work or sell it the way it is?
Images
  • 236347238_206625501432166_1329021551561954754_n (1).jpg
  • 232040670_852097032394857_85334320286097597_n.jpg
  • 236968637_3029368997350029_303757008198092511_n.jpg
  • 236347238_206625501432166_1329021551561954754_n.jpg
20 replies
May 26, 2020
79 posts
65 upvotes
Not a pro but I think the paint may help prevent mold, not kill mold.
the correct way should be using mold remover to treat the attic and fix the root cause (i.e. lack of ventilation)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
So many problems I see.

1. Hiring random Kijiji guy
2. The root cause of mold is that you have excessive condensation in your attic. You need to resolve the excessive condensation issue.
3. Always do the job properly from the start or risk paying more money.
4. Home inspector will likely see this and flag to the buyer.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22548 upvotes
GTA
DeluxeDeals wrote: Hired these two guys who sprayed white anti-mold primer paint and used sealant on the attic mold (atleast that's what they said) and left after reassuring us they are enough to kill mold couple weeks ago. I think it temporarily controls the mold growth and I doubt it would hold for longer or kill the mold. Do you think what they did will be enough? We are selling the house in few months so I was wondering if we should get someone to do a proper work or sell it the way it is?
Sounds like typical kijiji transaction.

Who told you that you have mold?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
engineered wrote: Sounds like typical kijiji transaction.

Who told you that you have mold?
This home inspector I hired because i kinda wanted to be confident we didn't have any other major issues.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22548 upvotes
GTA
DeluxeDeals wrote: This home inspector I hired because i kinda wanted to be confident we didn't have any other major issues.
Was it a little, or very bad? Did he tell you the cause? ie. poor ventilation, or exhaust vents vents exiting into attic?
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
engineered wrote: Was it a little, or very bad? Did he tell you the cause? ie. poor ventilation, or exhaust vents vents exiting into attic?
looked like pretty bad. He didn't tell me the cause. He wasn't that great either but gave an overall idea of the state of our house.

This was before they did the primer painting,

Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1521 posts
548 upvotes
Vancouver
All houses have mold. If it is just a little mold, i wouldn't be concerned especially mold wouldn't grow unless there's water.

Ask for the name of the products that your contractor use, google search the products to see how effective they are against mold
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4484 posts
2966 upvotes
That job looks half assed and definitely will raise red flags for potential buyers to stay away.
Buyers will see it as you trying to scam them instead.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes
Sometimes Kijiji guys run legitimate businesses and use Kijiji as a means for free advertising.

Was this from a legitimate company and did you get an invoice with descriptions of services rendered?

If so, this may "help" the selling process if buyer's bring up the attic.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3307 posts
1916 upvotes
Mississauga
If i was a potential buyer, and saw that, my radar would go up

You may need to have supporting documentation/info to share as questions will be asked
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22548 upvotes
GTA
DeluxeDeals wrote: looked like pretty bad. He didn't tell me the cause. He wasn't that great either but gave an overall idea of the state of our house.

This was before they did the primer painting,

Doesn't look that bad. but hard to tell with those small photos. It could just be old staining around the grooves between the boards. Looks like an old house though. How old?
How old is the roofing?

The real question is, was there any water in the attic encouraging mold growth? If yes, then you need to fix the leaks or improve ventilation and air sealing.

These are questions a smart buyer will ask.
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
It looks like leakage and condensing around the nails over a very long time. Possibly from lack of underlayment on previous roof jobs. Looks like an old house. If so, I wouldn't have done a thing except get better vents put in on the next shingle job, which I think combined with the age of the house, most buyers would understand.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2021
8 posts
2 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: It looks like leakage and condensing around the nails over a very long time. Possibly from lack of underlayment on previous roof jobs. Looks like an old house. If so, I wouldn't have done a thing except get better vents put in on the next shingle job, which I think combined with the age of the house, most buyers would understand.
It is an old semi-detached house. Should i get someone to remove the paint so it doesn't raise flags at the very least?
May 26, 2020
79 posts
65 upvotes
DeluxeDeals wrote: It is an old semi-detached house. Should i get someone to remove the paint so it doesn't raise flags at the very least?
I wonder how you remove the paint?
Oct 22, 2016
893 posts
802 upvotes
Comox Valley
Katedontbreak has called it correctly, I think. Just from the nails, and cold air in the attic could have formed minor mold staining over time.

As for the job they did, I think it is BS. I would have just left it alone. Made sure you have enough ventilation in the roof, bathroom, kitchen vents exhausted outside, and vapor barrier sealed in attic at joints etc.

The job is a real redflag and will raise questions. I would not remove the paint, as it will still show in trying to remove it. I think honesty is the best solution here. You have photos of before and after, and explain what happen to prospect buyers.

Best of luck
Last edited by User452441 on Aug 11th, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7350 posts
3063 upvotes
engineered wrote: These are questions a smart buyer will ask.
Fortunately for the OP, there doesn't seem to be many of these around these days.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1713 posts
1041 upvotes
All great stories start with..."We hired some random people from kijiji"

As to free advertising - I think legit contractors have mostly given up on Kijiji because it's a waste of their time. 99% of time they'll go out to a customer who found them on Kijiji, quote and get undercut by a Kijiji scammer. Because you can do a crappy job for much cheaper.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Aug 29, 2019
995 posts
453 upvotes
DeluxeDeals wrote: It is an old semi-detached house. Should i get someone to remove the paint so it doesn't raise flags at the very least?
I dont think that's even possible.

The proper way to get rid of that mold would have been new roof sheathing, all over underlayment, ice and water shield, Maximum vents or Whirly birds and a nice new shingle job.

You clearly chose to spray the mold because you didn't want to replace the roof sheathing and invest that huge cost into the roof so I'm at a loss as to what you should do after the fact

You needed to be honest about the condition of the roof or the new buyer has 7 years to take you to court for hiding a known defect in the house. Being that the house is old and probably has original sheathing, that kind of rusting and molding through the old nail holes should be expected to some degree and would have been clearly visible to their inspector. It's not something you should have tried to hide to begin with. I guess I would side with the user above and just be honest about it, now you have to mention what happened in the attic unless you want to replace it all.
Aug 11, 2011
743 posts
1184 upvotes
Toronto
Who was the inspector ? Looks like all seasons? ... I just got mine inspected and similar situation but as users mentioned there's not leaks right now so it coulda happened before the roof was replaced.... Or next time we replace it fix the sheathing and make sure vents are good and should be good to go .