Careers

We are in a severe recessionary period, yet for the most part most things feel normal

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2020 8:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17014 posts
4800 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
C_C wrote: You're still employed right? So right off the bat that makes you more desirable then someone unemployed. If someone is employed it doesn't automatically make them an 'excellent' candidate. It's a perception thing as you and I have discussed in prior threads.

What do all the tech marketers on this forum think? How's the tech job market doing for you?
Market is hot for folks who are in growth business, and marketing (traditional is down, but digital is up). Move to e-comm, personalization are driving demand for talent that gets it. Yes, it has been negative on folks who were just passing by with generic marketing etc.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1863 posts
582 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Market is hot for folks who are in growth business, and marketing (traditional is down, but digital is up). Move to e-comm, personalization are driving demand for talent that gets it. Yes, it has been negative on folks who were just passing by with generic marketing etc.
Deleted.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
Monthly Unemployment rate in Canada since April.

Updated as a reference.

Source of data is Stats Canada, posted at Global News.

Image[/quote]

753 upvotes
Driverbe wrote: People are still buying, jobs still feel intact for the most part, recruiters are still competing for talent, and people don't seem very worried.

what am I missing?
You are missing the income tax hike next year for people didn't receive CERB.
<signature removed>
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1772 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: You are missing the income tax hike next year for people didn't receive CERB.
That's great. They really should have put some stipulations on CERB and other extra assistance. Get 2k a month for as long as you require but you have 5-10 years to pay it all back after. Kinda like OSAP.
Sep 11, 2017
523 posts
379 upvotes
Hindenburg1 wrote: That's great. They really should have put some stipulations on CERB and other extra assistance. Get 2k a month for as long as you require but you have 5-10 years to pay it all back after. Kinda like OSAP.
Unfortunately these concepts are too logical for the current administration to understand. With no checks and balances % of the funds were given to those that shouldn’t have received them. How big is that %? I believe it’s bigger then what the govt would have you believe. Btw, Cerb was supposed to be taxable, do you think majority of the 8 million recipients were self remitting portion of their deposits for income tax payments next year. No. What will the govt announce in a few months when the collective crying from the public on how cruel it is to expect income tax to be paid on cerb? The liberals will announce the cerb tax forgiveness policy...wait for it
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2006
1261 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
I was at the honda dealer getting an oil change. Man o man, they had customers on the sales floor for days, I've never seen that many people in a dealer for a while. I know someone in a porsche dealer who said they haven't seen this kinda volume in a long time. The renovation contractors are busy as well.

So Im not sure what it is. It can be anything: Cheap money, pent up demand, lots of income, booming business, or Canadians just live for today and not for tomorrow. Im not saying everyone should be misreable and locked up in their caves, but there is an odd disconnect.

I've been unemployed, but majority of the people I know are doing fine, Salaries were impacted, work did slow down, but they didn't lose their jobs or houses or whatever. Government intervention is a great thing in the short term, the long term effects are still yet to be seen.
Dec 12, 2008
93 posts
25 upvotes
Montreal
Thorkell wrote: I was at the honda dealer getting an oil change. Man o man, they had customers on the sales floor for days, I've never seen that many people in a dealer for a while. I know someone in a porsche dealer who said they haven't seen this kinda volume in a long time. The renovation contractors are busy as well.

So Im not sure what it is. It can be anything: Cheap money, pent up demand, lots of income, booming business, or Canadians just live for today and not for tomorrow. Im not saying everyone should be misreable and locked up in their caves, but there is an odd disconnect.

I've been unemployed, but majority of the people I know are doing fine, Salaries were impacted, work did slow down, but they didn't lose their jobs or houses or whatever. Government intervention is a great thing in the short term, the long term effects are still yet to be seen.
Can't spend money on traveling or even dining-out/entertainment in some areas. So people are looking to spend on enjoying the things they still have access to: house/cars
Banned
Sep 30, 2020
18 posts
15 upvotes
It was summer, and the grasshopper was playing all day. While it was playing, the ant was working hard, moving food to it's den, every day.
The Grasshopper asked the Ant to come and play, but the Ant said "no Grasshopper, not today, we are very, very busy".
The Grasshopper kept playing, and summer turned to Fall. The Grasshopper was still enjoy the weather, while the ant was still very busy working and wouldn't come out to play.
Fall turned to Winter... The grasshopper was freezing, and couldn't find food. But, he saw his friend the ant playing in the snow.
The grasshopper asked the ant, "Ant, you had all summer to play, but now you play in the freezing cold, and you do no work?"
The ant replied "Yes, because now there is no more food to find, and our supplies are full. We can only wait for the spring thaw now"

The grasshopper died of starvation that winter. While the Ant colony thrived.

I hope for their sakes, those people getting into debt now, have damn secure jobs.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto
Then the grasshopper got on CERB while the ant got taxed hard. Then the ants wife cheated on him. What a cuc.
May 2, 2014
486 posts
189 upvotes
Driverbe wrote: People are still buying, jobs still feel intact for the most part, recruiters are still competing for talent, and people don't seem very worried.

what am I missing?
plot twist: OP only knows people who work for the government