Real Estate

We want to buy a cottage in Quebec, what do I need to know as an Ontario resident?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 11:11 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1857 posts
1015 upvotes
Kanata, ON

We want to buy a cottage in Quebec, what do I need to know as an Ontario resident?

So, with the beautiful weather now here, we're getting that itch to buy a cottage. We live on the west side of Ottawa and love the Round Lake, Golden Lake, Bark Lake, Lake Dore area south of Pembroke, ON, but the prices are just too high. I've found that cottage prices in Quebec tend to be quite a bit lower.

We were thinking somewhere in the Otter Lake area north of Shawville would be nice as we could cross at the Quyon ferry, or at Portage-du-Fort. We would be looking for a larger lake with a sandy beach preferably.

I guess I have a couple questions:

1. If you're familiar with the area between Gatineau Park and Fort-Coulonge or anywhere north of there, what lakes do you recommend? We've stayed on Lac Leslie before and like it there.

2. What do I need to know, as an Ontario resident, wanting to purchase property in Quebec?

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26663 posts
3571 upvotes
Montreal
We use notaries not lawyers.

Buy/sell offers are standard using a standard form.

Everyone inspects houses before buying.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1857 posts
1015 upvotes
Kanata, ON
^ Thanks.

I know I would be paying property taxes, but are there any other legal/tax implications of a non-resident owning property?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1456 posts
211 upvotes
Montreal
Nothing I can think of.

If you were thinking of renting it from time to time, AirBNB and all of those are still a gray zone in Quebec but with the recent ban on UberX, this province is not very free-market friendly. They like to regulate everything
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1857 posts
1015 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Good to know. We were considering renting it out from time to time, but initially to friends and family.
Mar 1, 2016
201 posts
119 upvotes
Not sure that this is much help, but look closely at property taxes when shopping around. There seems to be significant variation between municipalities and some were pretty egregious in my opinion. Is Quyon ferry open year round now that they switched to a cable ferry? Haven't been on it in ages.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1857 posts
1015 upvotes
Kanata, ON
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind when looking around. As for the Quyon ferry, they still close it over the winter.