• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2018 12:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1558 posts
1191 upvotes

Weak Wi-Fi signal at home

My Rogers Router is on my man floor in the northwest corner.

Our master bedroom is on the second floor south east corner.

The Wi-Fi signal is really weak in the master bedroom on our iPhones.

Is there a decent Wi-Fi signal booster you can suggest?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2813 posts
953 upvotes
Windsor
Unifi AP; simple, stable.

Otherwise, just move the router to the middle of the house.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25555 posts
4670 upvotes
Get a better router
Setup a mesh network
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4100 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: Unifi AP; simple, stable.

+2 not sure why folks wrestle with other option a.
Last edited by maddawg on Sep 3rd, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
4100 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: Unifi AP; simple, stable.

+2 no sure why folks wrestle with other option a.
"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."

Alvin Toffler
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1558 posts
1191 upvotes
It's a Rogers Modem/Routerand it's by our TV and other AV equipment. I don't think moving it is an easy option.

The Xbox,Apple TV, etc are all hard wired to it.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25555 posts
4670 upvotes
Easto wrote: It's a Rogers Modem/Routerand it's by our TV and other AV equipment. I don't think moving it is an easy option.

The Xbox,Apple TV, etc are all hard wired to it.
Disable the wireless router part of the modem and buy a better router.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1558 posts
1191 upvotes
I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I am still dealing with the issue.

I have a plug-in D-Link wifi-extender that hasn't been a remedy.

Can someone suggest a new router I can look into?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1010 upvotes
Toronto
Easto wrote: I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I am still dealing with the issue.

Where did you plug in the wifi extender? It should be on the 2nd floor but almost directly above the Rogers modem/router.

EDIT: I will also add that a wifi extender was not a good option for my parents. They have a bungalow. For whatever reason, as soon as you are part way up the stairs the signal strength is almost nothing. I had to run a network cable behind the wall to the upstairs. I did it behind the air vent. On the 2nd floor, the network cable is connected to an old router that I configured to be an access point.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2979 upvotes
Winnipeg
ds2chan wrote: Where did you plug in the wifi extender? It should be on the 2nd floor but almost directly above the Rogers modem/router.

EDIT: I will also add that a wifi extender was not a good option for my parents. They have a bungalow. For whatever reason, as soon as you are part way up the stairs the signal strength is almost nothing. I had to run a network cable behind the wall to the upstairs. I did it behind the air vent. On the 2nd floor, the network cable is connected to an old router that I configured to be an access point.

most wifi routers are weakest directly above and below especially if its using a dipole style antenna. Then after that its basically penetration that is the hurdle. Where did you end up placing the 2nd?

Without knowing the layout, square footage its kinda hard to recommend position for all. But Say the stairs going up was half the distance and center of the house. Place it half way up the stairs(first landing) if there is a plug available that way its staggered, catching and distributing signal and also increasing elevation

These work quite well and are cheap when they go onsale for 49.99 and offer seamless mesh style roaming all same ssid too. I even disabled my main's wifi and just use 2 of these now one as a wired ap, second to extend. Great part they work off any router

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _band.html

these are also very powerful but do take alot of power consumption but cover quite well as just an ap

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TP-Link-TGR1900 ... 285a5433bd
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1010 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: most wifi routers are weakest directly above and below especially if its using a dipole style antenna. Then after that its basically penetration that is the hurdle. Where did you end up placing the 2nd?

Without knowing the layout, square footage its kinda hard to recommend position for all. But Say the stairs going up was half the distance and center of the house. Place it half way up the stairs(first landing) if there is a plug available that way its staggered, catching and distributing signal and also increasing elevation

These work quite well and are cheap when they go onsale for 49.99 and offer seamless mesh style roaming all same ssid too. I even disabled my main's wifi and just use 2 of these now one as a wired ap, second to extend. Great part they work off any router

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _band.html

these are also very powerful but do take alot of power consumption but cover quite well as just an ap

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TP-Link-TGR1900 ... 285a5433bd
This was years ago when the powerline adapters were either not available or in their infancy. I even tried to set up an old router as an access point near the stairs (no walls in the way) and up on a table (router was connected to the modem via a 25 ft network cable). From the bottom floor to the top floor it is probably about 16 ft. The signal was still bad no matter where you went upstairs. I figure maybe it was something in the ceiling, like the vents. Anyways, they're all set up now with the access point upstairs so everything is good now. Thanks.

Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2979 upvotes
Winnipeg
ds2chan wrote: This was years ago when the powerline adapters were either not available or in their infancy. I even tried to set up an old router as an access point near the stairs (no walls in the way) and up on a table (router was connected to the modem via a 25 ft network cable). From the bottom floor to the top floor it is probably about 16 ft. The signal was still bad no matter where you went upstairs. I figure maybe it was something in the ceiling, like the vents. Anyways, they're all set up now with the access point upstairs so everything is good now. Thanks.
if it was years ago the problem was those extenders in 2.4ghz are just a bad idea all around.

They have to repeat in the same channel making interference and often worsen the conditions due competing overlap in the same channel. It was always better back in those days to just use 2.4ghz client bridges for stationary devices that could then be corded .

The newer ac wifi has auto deciding cross band,dual band and even mu-mimo. You extend in ac at a higher rate of say a min. of 433 mbps(1/2 ac866) without neighboring interference and rebroadcast at full 2.4ghz on a non competing channel from main for max distance coverage.

The biggest hurdle of all extenders was the main. If its a modem router combo? well those have unstable wifi to begin with. More than the often the source of most disconnects. It would be cheaper to just disable and run a stable ac wifi ap and repeat from it instead.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2445 posts
1010 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: if it was years ago the problem was those extenders in 2.4ghz are just a bad idea all around.

They have to repeat in the same channel making interference and often worsen the conditions due competing overlap in the same channel. It was always better back in those days to just use 2.4ghz client bridges for stationary devices that could then be corded .

The newer ac wifi has auto deciding cross band,dual band and even mu-mimo. You extend in ac at a higher rate of say a min. of 433 mbps(1/2 ac866) without neighboring interference and rebroadcast at full 2.4ghz on a non competing channel from main for max distance coverage.

The biggest hurdle of all extenders was the main. If its a modem router combo? well those have unstable wifi to begin with. More than the often the source of most disconnects. It would be cheaper to just disable and run a stable ac wifi ap and repeat from it instead.
This was probably about 10 years ago now. I believe I did try to set a specific channel on the 2.4 Ghz frequency but I can't remember. It does sound familiar though. It was driving me crazy because I was trying so many different things but I just couldn't get a good signal upstairs. I didn't even bother with a 5 Ghz frequency. I think at the time it was just a Bell modem and not the modem/router combo.

In any case, I remember spending a lot of time troubleshooting but in the end I figured just run a network cable upstairs. Luckily, it was easy and the hole I was cutting into the wall downstairs was in my brother's room and not a hallway. Otherwise, my father would have been wtf do you think you're doing?

Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2627 posts
1355 upvotes
Winnipeg
Easto wrote: I know I am resurrecting an old thread, but I am still dealing with the issue.

Curious if your router has both 2.4 and 5 signals.
May 21, 2006
74 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I have exactly what you need
2x xioami AC1200 routers.
you can set them in bridge/booster mode
will cover 3000sqft+
$45 a pop
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
2035 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
Refurbished TP-Link OnHub Wireless Router is on sale at NewEgg Canada for $89
Software update allows it to function as a mesh wifi network as well.

Get two of these. One connected to Rogers modem, place 2nd to near center of your home.

But by spending similar cost if you are able to get a network wire to center of the house... I would go for that.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10596 posts
2979 upvotes
Winnipeg
SingularityZ wrote: I have exactly what you need
2x xioami AC1200 routers.
you can set them in bridge/booster mode
will cover 3000sqft+
$45 a pop
Yes but no seamless roaming. Unless you go lede and run Batman adv mesh. The ac- rp56 at Newegg would work equal or better with Asus roaming assistance. It runs the same soc as the mi-3g. But even a xiami with padavan can't use the roaming assistance,due to license by Asus.

The cheapest bang for buck is still the edimax re11s for say 2000 square feet @2watts per extender. 3000 and better you need 3x nodes. Then the tenda Nova at 200 not cloud and consuming less power than running 3 routers.
That's of course when on sale. Only thing on sale is the onhub,ac-rp56, and tplink extender refurbs