• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2020 10:41 am
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener

Wear24 Google WearOS 2.35 Smartwatch by Verizon Owners' Thread

You get wifi, BT (LTE locked to VZ, but ability to root might bring something new to the table) and an OTA update to Wear OS 2.1X. All day battery once you disable Cell network and VZ apps.

xda main dev thread (recovery and root WIP): https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... r-t3715300
wear24 on xda https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/verizon-wear24
NFC bounty on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/androi ... e-t3785164

32 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
Basic setup/debloating:
Pair: always via wearOS app on your phone (never pair the watch to your phone as a regular BT peripheral as wearOS app wont be able to detect it if already paired in such way)
Wait: for all the firmware/App updates to be pulled and installed.
Disable: My VZ, VZ messaging and Wear24 apps.
Enable: airplane mode (no longer needed, disabling VZ carrier profile is the proper way to go).
Enable: BT and/or WiFi (you can leave WiFi set to "Automatic" the watch will smartly turn it on when the phone is unreachable over BT or if a big data transfer is needed).
Disable: VZ carrier profile from the "SIM Info" app.
Install: Android Messages from Google playstore (on both phone and watch).

Battery Saving Tips:
- Disable Gestures (Settings -> Gestures).
- Set screen to "Always ON" (Settings -> Display) which will use the battery friendly version of the current face and should save battery vs. tilt to wake.
- Set Location to "Battery Saving" (Settings -> Connectivity -> Location).
- Finally, battery does have a very low self discharge rate, so consider turning it off at night if you are not leaving it on the charger overnight.

Updating to WearOS 2.0 ? make sure you are aware of the current bug/feature disabling watch mic for voice calls.

Can't feel the watch ? feel the wear.

Screen timing out way too soon? StayLit Wear: Longer Backlight

Can't get an initial signal lock from internal GPS for Strava or similar apps? try GNSS (thanks @maxRoi)

Getting weather updates in F with stock faces? make sure you have Canadian English as your first display language on your phone (not "watch").

Unable to get GA to work for home automation ? make sure you have US English as your first display language on your phone (and "watch").

Received the watch with an aftermarket moto 360 charger that overheats the watch and nothing seems to work to get a proper charge out of it (charging button down + replacing the USB cable and/or the USB adapter)? You can buy the original VZ charger from here or here.

Tempered Glass Screen protector that fits
You need a protector with a measured diameter of 36mm for the best fit.
Generic ones like https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072Q1DMRB/ will work (pictures attached) because they explicitly list the size.
Other watch specific "might" work as long as size is confirmed (this needs to confirmed for each screen protector, because sizes might vary slightly between sellers even for the same advertised watch).
Advertised for the Huawei smart watch, measured at 35mm, not a perfect fit: https://www.amazon.ca/Protector-AFUNTA- ... 01N1H5JL5/
Advertised for the same Huawei smart watch, measured at 36mm, perfect fit: https://www.amazon.ca/Akwox-Protector-D ... 06Y6PNTYL/

How to factory reset the watch via fastboot:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/support ... se-209362/

How to sideload Android apps on the watch
- Enable developer options on the watch.
- From developer options, enable usb debugging, then enable adb over wifi.
- Install https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... v&hl=en_CA on your phone.
- The app will allow you to push any apk (already installed or just downloaded somewhere) on your phone to the watch.
- Or you can do it the more conventional way: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ebay-ca ... #p29537783

Faces (mentioned throughout the thread):
Looks Android Wear Watch Faces ("portions" is personal favorite, has no phone-helper app, installs directly from the watch playstore)
Minimal & Elegant for Android Wear OS (pay once access infinite number of faces).
Facer Watch Faces
Faces by Facer user Chad
WatchMaker Watch Faces
LED Watch face with Weather
Marine Commander Watch Face for WearOS
Willow - Photo Watch face
Skymaster Pilot Watch Face
Ultimate Watch 2 watch face
Classic Watch Face
Falcon Watch Face
Space-X Watch Face Interactive
Odyssey Watch Face
Pear Watch Face

Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
I am giving this watch to my son. Should I remove it from my phone first or should I factory reset it first or does it matter?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
althetrainer wrote: I am giving this watch to my son. Should I remove it from my phone first or should I factory reset it first or does it matter?
Doesn't matter. Preferably make sure it's removed from WearOS app on your phone before it's paired with a new one.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote: Doesn't matter. Preferably make sure it's removed from WearOS app on your phone before it's paired with a new one.
Will do. Thanks for your prompt reply.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
One more question. I have disconnected the watch from my phone. My son installed Wear OS on his phone and the watch paired. We've been stuck at "checking for updates" for a while. Is this normal? Since I had updated firmware when I first received this watch, I don't suppose we need to do it all over again?

Edit: Finally finished checking for updates but I don't see the version of the OS anywhere. Trying to install messages but wifi keeps disconnecting. Strange that I didn't have this problem when I set it up with my phone.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
althetrainer wrote: One more question. I have disconnected the watch from my phone. My son installed Wear OS on his phone and the watch paired. We've been stuck at "checking for updates" for a while. Is this normal? Since I had updated firmware when I first received this watch, I don't suppose we need to do it all over again?

Edit: Finally finished checking for updates but I don't see the version of the OS anywhere. Trying to install messages but wifi keeps disconnecting. Strange that I didn't have this problem when I set it up with my phone.
When you disconnect/factory rest the watch all "app updates" are lost, this includes all wearOS updates from the version that was preloaded on the last Android 7.1.1 update the watch got.

You can check for OS version going: Settings -> about -> versions (lists WearOS version as well as underlying Android OS version).

For wifi disconnectivity issue, try keeping it disconnected and do all updates over BT then reboot the watch and enable wifi.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote: When you disconnect/factory rest the watch all "app updates" are lost, this includes all wearOS updates from the version that was preloaded on the last Android 7.1.1 update the watch got.

You can check for OS version going: Settings -> about -> versions (lists WearOS version as well as underlying Android OS version).

For wifi disconnectivity issue, try keeping it disconnected and do all updates over BT then reboot the watch and enable wifi.
Thanks again. We waited long enough wifi came back and we finished everything. I've passed on the info to the boy and if he runs into similar issues in the future he will know what to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1859 posts
411 upvotes
Mississauga
Was wondering if op or anyone could give me some advice on an issue I’m having. I got a wear24 recently and I have been trying to get data through Bluetooth rather than the watch needing wifi. I’m currently using the watch with an iPhone. Whenever I try to force the watch to use Bluetooth by disabling the wifi, it keeps asking me to connect to wifi. Is this a limitation of iOS not being able to tether data through Bluetooth? As soon as I disable wifi I get the cloud icon with a strike. Any advice is appreciated.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
cheystar wrote: Was wondering if op or anyone could give me some advice on an issue I’m having. I got a wear24 recently and I have been trying to get data through Bluetooth rather than the watch needing wifi. I’m currently using the watch with an iPhone. Whenever I try to force the watch to use Bluetooth by disabling the wifi, it keeps asking me to connect to wifi. Is this a limitation of iOS not being able to tether data through Bluetooth? As soon as I disable wifi I get the cloud icon with a strike. Any advice is appreciated.
Not sure about IOS, but for Android, the struck cloud simply means the watch isn't connected to Google cloud services, that doesn't limit the watch functionality when tethered over BT, it still sync and work as usual but there are some changes in the behavior related to the cloud functionality (GA screen, when you swipe left, would have more information with the watch connected to the cloud services).
Oct 4, 2017
239 posts
75 upvotes
I got the dreaded dead battery symptom on my Wear24. Putting it on the charge will momentarily turn it on but it shuts off within a minute. If I leave the watch on the charger it will eventually heat up.
Tried other methods like changing out the USB charging cables but to no effect.

Is the watch truly dead? How practical is it to replace the battery?
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
CorporalJenky wrote: I got the dreaded dead battery symptom on my Wear24. Putting it on the charge will momentarily turn it on but it shuts off within a minute. If I leave the watch on the charger it will eventually heat up.
Tried other methods like changing out the USB charging cables but to no effect.
Is that the stock charger?

Open-box Stock charger is selling on Amazon (US) for $15 CAD (+ $10 to ship to Canada), though it might not be worth it if the watch turns to be defective though.
https://www.amazon.com/Verizon-Charging ... 07FQQLBBH/
Is the watch truly dead? How practical is it to replace the battery?
The battery is soldered it seems (from rooting pictures posted on xda) it can't be removed without permanently damaging the watch.
Oct 4, 2017
239 posts
75 upvotes
aasoror wrote: Is that the stock charger?
No this is the black Motorola charger the vendor supplied.
The battery is soldered it seems (from rooting pictures posted on xda) it can't be removed without permanently damaging the watch.
yeah not a chance I would want to take buying an open box item. I am handy at soldering though.
Last edited by CorporalJenky on Mar 15th, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
20354 posts
11573 upvotes
Kitchener
CorporalJenky wrote: No this three black Motorola charger the vendor supplied.
Then you might want to take a chance ordering the stock charger, worst case you can send it back to Amazon or put it on BST here (stock chargers are highly sought because the moto generic ones are the most common reason batteries are killed on the wear24).

Alternatively, you can try and find a "regulated" 5V/0.72A wall adapter and see if it gets the moto charger to behave.
I am handy at soldering though.
Check the pic below, the battery isn't directly accessible after removing the back panel, you will still need to do more disassembly to access it.
Images
  • wear24-back.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1859 posts
411 upvotes
Mississauga
This is the battery available on aliexpress it doesn't have the same connector though so don't know how one would install it. I compared it to an image I found on a wear24 teardown album. If you are able to swap it out please post your instructions it would help the community and myself out. I don't know how long my battery will last.
  • Wear24 Battery
  • Aliexpress Battery R40350
  • aliexpressr40350.jpg
CorporalJenky wrote: No this is the black Motorola charger the vendor supplied.

yeah not a chance I would want to take buying an open box item. I am handy at soldering though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)