• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 12:57 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2005
965 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Wearing masks inside a grocery store

Hi, first time posting in these discussion forums, I’m usually on the deals section but I wanted to get some feedback from my fellow RFDers. I was at Whole Foods yesterday (Yonge and Sheppard location) and I was surprised to see a customer walking around the store without a mask on (I took some screen captures from a video i shot). I actually had to look twice because he had a beard so I was thinking maybe he had a dark mask on and these days I’m accustomed to seeing everyone wearing a mask I was so surprised. This is only my second encounter with a customer not wearing a mask indoors. First time was a Canadian Tire and an employee saw the customer without the mask and right away they asked him to wear one or leave the store. The reaction from employees was totally different at Whole foods.

I spoke to a few of them as well as the customer service desk and they said they can’t do anything about it and that he’s a regular customer that doesn’t wear a mask. From the employee’s reactions, I can hear it in their voices that they are powerless to do anything. I feel bad for them because they’re the ones who are exposed to the public working everyday and have a higher chance of catching Covid. As I was speaking to them, I was thinking about of all the outbreak at other supermarkets and work places. I was told that Whole Foods policy is to take a customer’s temperature and let them in if they don’t want to wear a mask, employees can’t do anything unless the policy changes. I actually said I should put in a complaint, and they’re like good that’s the only way for management to change.

I mentioned Longo’s and some other stores have a strict no mask no service policy, so I was so surprised Whole Foods doesn’t have a similar policy.
As a customer, I have a choice on where to shop and on this trip I ended up not buying anything after seeing this customer walk around without a mask. I observed him, he made stops to the prepared foods counter, produce area and seafood area and he kept touching his face and beard. So now I’m thinking to myself, what if he touched some produce that I wanted to buy, or if he has covid and now all the employees he’s interacted will catch it.

If I don’t feel safe, I’m thinking others may have similar feeling if you encountered customers without masks at a grocery store. Is there any way we can let Whole Foods know they need to better protect their employees and customers? I’m not going to shop there until the policy changes, I don’t feel safe after what I saw yesterday and it's not safe for their employees. What would you have done in my situation and can we do anything? Anyone have friends that work at the Management level at Whole Foods that can pass along what's happening?

Do you feel safe with others around you indoors without a mask or am I over reacting?
Images
  • thumbnail_IMG_9813.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_9814.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_9815.jpg
  • thumbnail_IMG_9817.jpg
Last edited by cdsoundtr on Apr 27th, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12790 posts
9524 upvotes
GTA, ON
No you are not overreacting. We're in the middle of a pandemic, and with more contagious variants out there, I too would be overly concerned. Vote with your pen and your wallet. Write a letter of concern to the management, corporate, and Facebook, and then shop elsewhere.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4864 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
Report it to 311 or TPH.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4864 posts
2449 upvotes
Toronto
Just left my local Shoppers. 2 different no maskers in the 1st 15 feet.
Turned around and walked out.
They have a paid security guard. Let them deal with it.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4903 posts
3808 upvotes
Hmmm Whole Foods can do something about it - they just choose not to. Most places enforce wearing a mask or you cannot enter. I would actually not shop there anymore since WF is being so irresponsible. And no you're not overacting at all - too many stupid people on earth who think they're not sheep b/c they don't wear one :rolleyes: I also wouldn't have blurred out the guy's face.
Last edited by hierophant on Apr 27th, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19127 posts
7224 upvotes
Toronto
Ontario announces mandatory masks and face coverings in all indoor public spaces. Call the cops.
Banned
Mar 2, 2021
252 posts
260 upvotes
You do realise there are medical exemptions right?

I don't know Ontario, but BC is this

https://bchumanrights.ca/wp-content/upl ... l-2021.pdf

How do you know he doesn't have a medical exemption? I personally know a few people with COPD, and they can't wear masks.

People seem to forget that COVID is not the centre of the universe and all other diseases and ailments didn't magically disappeared. Also the me me me mentality, if I can wear a mask, everyone else should!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2005
965 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Mariusic wrote: You do realise there are medical exemptions right?

How do you know he doesn't have a medical exemption? I personally know a few people with COPD, and they can't wear masks.

People seem to forget that COVID is not the centre of the universe and all other diseases and ailments didn't magically disappeared. Also the me me me mentality, if I can wear a mask, everyone else should!

I understand some people can't wear a mask for health or religious reasons, and that's fine but the question is do they have to enter a grocery store? There are other options for getting groceries that does not endanger other people. There's curb side pickup, there are delivery options, ask a friend to help pickup food, many options that doesn't involve entering a store without a mask. If I had a condition and I couldn't wear a mask, you wouldn't see me stepping inside a store without a mask.

chimaican wrote: No you are not overreacting. We're in the middle of a pandemic, and with more contagious variants out there, I too would be overly concerned. Vote with your pen and your wallet. Write a letter of concern to the management, corporate, and Facebook, and then shop elsewhere.

Yeah I'll definitely contact Whole foods just to let them know, someone needs to inform management their workers are more at risk. I've already told people around my neighborhood and they're no longer shopping at Whole Foods until they change their policy.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2280 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
Mariusic wrote: You do realise there are medical exemptions right?

If someone has COPD or some other respiratory issue, they probably shouldn't be walking around a grocery store in the middle of a pandemic at all. It would be very bad if someone with lungs that barely function got a respiratory infection on top of that.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Banned
Mar 2, 2021
252 posts
260 upvotes
cdsoundtr wrote:
I understand some people can't wear a mask for health or religious reasons, and that's fine but the question is do they have to enter a grocery store? There are other options for getting groceries that does not endanger other people. There's curb side pickup, there are delivery options, ask a friend to help pickup food, many options that doesn't involve entering a store without a mask. If I had a condition and I couldn't wear a mask, you wouldn't see me stepping inside a store without a mask.

Yeah I'll definitely contact Whole foods just to let them know, someone needs to inform management their workers are more at risk. I've already told people around my neighborhood and they're no longer shopping at Whole Foods until they change their policy.
Driftwood wrote: If someone has COPD or some other respiratory issue, they probably shouldn't be walking around a grocery store in the middle of a pandemic at all. It would be very bad if someone with lungs that barely function got a respiratory infection on top of that.
You both must be living in lalala land if you think everyone that has medical exemptions from wearing a mask are swimming in money doing delivery options or pay others doing their groceries. Most are also elderly who are by themselves (if they are still lucky to have a spouse) and on strict budget on OAS and GIS.

Just shows how self centered people are these days, all me me me. I'll sign off, no point in wasting my time in this thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2280 posts
871 upvotes
Toronto
Mariusic wrote: You both must be living in lalala land if you think everyone that has medical exemptions from wearing a mask are swimming in money doing delivery options or pay others doing their groceries. Most are also elderly who are by themselves (if they are still lucky to have a spouse) and on strict budget on OAS and GIS.

Just shows how self centered people are these days, all me me me. I'll sign off, no point in wasting my time in this thread.
COPD is a very serious condition, my father died from it. I stand by what I said, people with this condition should not expose themselves to unnecessary risk.

There are programs for seniors and vulnerable people:
https://www.canadahelps.org/en/support- ... -covid-19/
https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/co ... rdion=food
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12790 posts
9524 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ignore Mariusic. Based on their posting history, he/she thinks we're all overreacting to the pandemic and doubts all the numbers and cases, thus downplaying the pandemic.
Tis banana is IRIE

Mar 1, 2020
804 posts
210 upvotes
GTA West
chimaican wrote: Ignore Mariusic. Based on their posting history, he/she thinks we're all overreacting to the pandemic and doubts all the numbers and cases, thus downplaying the pandemic.
Yup, he did say he's out of this thread anyway. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12790 posts
9524 upvotes
GTA, ON
LPGA2020 wrote: Yup, he did say he's out of this thread anyway. Face With Tears Of Joy
Funny how he says everyone else is "me me me" and yet anti-maskers are the ones all me-me-me
Tis banana is IRIE

Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21220 posts
8086 upvotes
Socially Distanced
chimaican wrote: Funny how he says everyone else is "me me me" and yet anti-maskers are the ones all me-me-me
Projection is a classic divide and conquer tactic.
Of course he signed off becasue his position is untenable.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1068 posts
488 upvotes
I was at a Bulk Barn a couple of months back paying and saw a customer walk in without mask. When asked by staff he just said he could not wear one. Was asked to use sanitizer that was near the front door and refused. Then walked around the store. Min wage staff too scared to do/say anything. I doubt very much that this person had any medical conditions, more likely one of the freedom 'heroes'. I do not think he even purchased anything, just wanted to walk around and exercise his 'rights'. They would get tossed in a store that was firm in its policies so they try different places and some of them post online to show their heroism.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
2230 posts
136 upvotes
I don't think u need to blur out his face, he is in a public place and obviously didn't want to hide his face behind a mask.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12790 posts
9524 upvotes
GTA, ON
vernonco wrote: I was at a Bulk Barn a couple of months back paying and saw a customer walk in without mask. When asked by staff he just said he could not wear one. Was asked to use sanitizer that was near the front door and refused. Then walked around the store. Min wage staff too scared to do/say anything. I doubt very much that this person had any medical conditions, more likely one of the freedom 'heroes'. I do not think he even purchased anything, just wanted to walk around and exercise his 'rights'. They would get tossed in a store that was firm in its policies so they try different places and some of them post online to show their heroism.
Anyone who seriously has a medical condition that results in them not being able wearing a mask would be a lot more cautious. I know if I wasn't able to, I'd be using delivery services or asking friends/family to help out. If I had to go out, I'd definitely be carrying my own hand sanitizer and/or using whatever was available, and though it doesn't do much, I'd be wearing a face shield, or even covering my face with a bandana. This person was obviously, as you said, some guy who thinks he's a self-anointed freedom fighter :lol: . I prefer to call them exactly what they are: shit-disturber. People like that deserve what they get.
Last edited by chimaican on Apr 28th, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tis banana is IRIE

Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2400 posts
556 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
Umm, this is has happened to me with hospital staff. Last week I was walking out of the hospital from an appointment and there was a staff member in scrubs, ID badge etc. just strolling the hallway where everyone enters with no mask on and no mask anywhere in site anywhere on their person.

Not the first time its happened either. I have no idea what to make of it, I just mind my own business. I am just glad I am vaccinated now at least with the first shot. I get my second shot on Friday.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9531 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I thought masks were pretty much required anywhere indoors? I guess enforcement is another ballgame but you aren't overreacting, they should be wearing masks indoors. Some places even have mandates for outdoor mask wearing in cities where people tend to be closer together.