Wearing masks inside a grocery store

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2021 12:57 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
2501 posts
708 upvotes
Ancaster, ON
DavidY wrote: A Walmart in Airdrie (just north of Calgary) has to close for 10 days due to an outbreak (more than 3 workers).

Dave
Most of these store ones are because of employees allowed to sit together in lunch rooms with no masks. A friend's daughter had an outbreak of 10 at their store, they all sit side by side in the lunch room eating and on breaks, no masks no one says a thing. A Shopper's Drug Mart employee told me they all do that in her store in the basement lunch room, no windows no ventilation etc. and that store has had a least 5 seperate outbreaks. I see it all the time in store's the Sobey's by me employee's eat in a room that used to be for cutomers to have sushi hot takeout etc its right in front of the registers and all glass, I see employees in there all the time doing this. Its not surprising, I think they think because its co-workers its okay.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
miningminer wrote: as an employee there's not much you can do or would want to do. Think about it, you're making minimum wage at a grocery store or walmart and now you're tasked with someone who is pretty much guaranteed to be ignorant, belligerent, confrontational and perhaps even violent. My wife works at a bubble tea place and she has had customers without masks come in looking for someone to say something just so they can go on a tirade and spout their internet conspiracies. Luckily the last time this happened all the customers in the store helped her and yelled at the guy to get the F out.
I encountered this the other week at my local convenience store. Walked in and there was this Karen screaming at the store owner because she was asked to wear a mask. Throwing a temper tantrum and yelling at the top of her lungs that she had a 'medical' exemption and that she'd call the cops and she'll sue because the owner was denying her her individual rights. 'Medical exemption' she says, screaming at the top of her lungs, and it was my belief she was there to buy cigarettes too.

These people are purposely going to these places to make a bossy fit scene. It's not like these mask bylaws are anything new, it's been mandated for almost a year now.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
chimaican wrote: I encountered this the other week at my local convenience store. Walked in and there was this Karen screaming at the store owner because she was asked to wear a mask. Throwing a temper tantrum and yelling at the top of her lungs that she had a 'medical' exemption and that she'd call the cops and she'll sue because the owner was denying her her individual rights. 'Medical exemption' she says, screaming at the top of her lungs, and it was my belief she was there to buy cigarettes too.

These people are purposely going to these places to make a bossy fit scene. It's not like these mask bylaws are anything new, it's been mandated for almost a year now.
When they make these bylaw they should also give the shop owners or employee the use of force to remove anyone not following the bylaw. At least allow them to use reasonable force to remove anyone from the store without getting sue. So if you fight back the security at wal mart have every right to beat the crap out of you till you stop fighting back.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
sponge5307 wrote: When they make these bylaw they should also give the shop owners or employee the use of force to remove anyone not following the bylaw. At least allow them to use reasonable force to remove anyone from the store without getting sue. So if you fight back the security at wal mart have every right to beat the crap out of you till you stop fighting back.
After anti-masker Karen left the store, I told the shop keepers that if this ever happens again to tell that person: they are required by law or they face a $880 fine, and that if they "she" refuses to put on a mask, ask her to leave. If "they" continue to linger, then ask them to leave again and if they don't, you "shop-keeper" specifically tell them that they consider them in the store as trespassing, as they have been asked to leave twice due to not following bylaws. Then Karen can call the cops all they want.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Jun 14, 2019
270 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
SmartSelect_20210429-133330_Gallery.jpg

Not a Karen but refuse to don mask, took my business elsewhere from this branch
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
YPfailsSW2 wrote: Not a Karen but refuse to don mask, took my business elsewhere from this branch
Nose poker behind the counter as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
ROYinTO wrote: Nose poker behind the counter as well.
Guess that's why the store don't care if people wear mask or not.