• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2018 6:51 pm
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal

weatherproof wires for outside

Trying to install a wifi security cam outside but it came w/ just a standard thin wire+adaptor, not sure if it'll hold up in our Cdn winters. Is there anything you guys do to protect the wire...like some weatherproofing tape to put on top of the wire?

Also, now that my adaptor's sticking into the outside outlet, the flap is up and the 2nd outlet is exposed, you guys do anything for that?

TIA.
Last edited by tranquility922 on Sep 7th, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
You can use a POE splitter to remove the need to plug an outlet outside, and use a flat ethernet cable with weatherproofing tape to protect it from direct sunlight/rain and movement. You can then run the ethernet inside where you would use the POE injector for power.
Amazon sell these stuff for quick shipping.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
MadCanadian wrote: You can use a POE splitter to remove the need to plug an outlet outside, and use a flat ethernet cable with weatherproofing tape to protect it from direct sunlight/rain and movement. You can then run the ethernet inside where you would use the POE injector for power.
Amazon sell these stuff for quick shipping.
Neat idea, but I don't want to run any cables inside/buy more stuff. I have a wifi cam so it kinda defeats the purpose if I do that.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
Sorry, didn't know that it was a wifi security cam.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
MadCanadian wrote: Sorry, didn't know that it was a wifi security cam.
Don't apologise, my fault for not being clearer. Gonna edit my OP now. Tx.
May 15, 2010
355 posts
331 upvotes
Ajax
Where is it outside? If it’s close to your garage, maybe you can run the wires through the soffit and plug it in the garage outlet. You might need to splice the wire to extend it
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
seanymack wrote: Where is it outside? If it’s close to your garage, maybe you can run the wires through the soffit and plug it in the garage outlet. You might need to splice the wire to extend it
Just my balcony, it has one of those outdoor boxes w/ the flap cover to protect 2 plug outlets.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)