Jul 21, 2017
165 posts
266 upvotes

.CA domain name at $0.88

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Web Hosting Canada
I am not sure how often we get this type of deal but WHC has a .CA domain name deal at $0.88. Sale valid for the first year, for new registrations only. Renewal at $13.99.

I was able to register two domain names, unlike GoDaddy that allows only one.
54 replies
Nov 14, 2008
299 posts
133 upvotes
$1 domains have been around a very long time. Ofcourse most people renew for a few years, and some buy their webhosting services.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
6040 posts
5876 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Can you get cheap domain and transfer them out to another domain provider?
Dec 20, 2018
229 posts
213 upvotes
winnipeg
TransporterSD wrote: Can you get cheap domain and transfer them out to another domain provider?
sure, you can, and some will offer you discount when you transfer in
Jun 24, 2016
486 posts
490 upvotes
Is there a limit on how many you can order?
Sep 10, 2012
129 posts
125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Thanks, will get a couple for single use shitposts.

e: Appears that for me there is a limit of one domain per account. I would assume making multiple accounts to circumvent this is against their TOS.
Aug 26, 2019
197 posts
212 upvotes
The6ix
Thanks just registered my full name in case of any future affairs
Mar 14, 2009
398 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
shopperisbest wrote: sure, you can, and some will offer you discount when you transfer in
Any recommendations on who has a good transfer-in deal for .ca domains at the moment?

Funnily enough I saw this promo on Saturday, and the promo code appeared to apply to transfers as well (checkout total $0.88 plus tax). But after checkout I got charged $11.29...
Aug 30, 2019
824 posts
635 upvotes
Brampton
If anyone can share a link how to create my own website ? I want to have my own website just for fun. Thanks
Aug 7, 2017
362 posts
334 upvotes
Meh, cold - it's pretty standard to be able to get the first year or two of a new domain registration cheap. The realization of what's not so cool about that comes at renewal - at that point you already have the domain, you might even have something built on it and they know you want to keep it so you need to pay through the nose (probably 10x this much at least) - you'll still get nowhere near this price for year 2 even if you transfer.

This would be a great deal if you could buy more than one year at this price up front (which you can't) - domains can be registered for 10 years but I doubt you'll find anyone offering 10 years at $0.88 per year.
Apr 8, 2015
245 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can anyone please ELI5 why it's good to get one of these?

I don't really plan to make a website in the near future.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5515 posts
1404 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
TransporterSD wrote: Can you get cheap domain and transfer them out to another domain provider?
Domains are usually locked for the first 90 days. Then you can. However, the new domain provider usually will charge you another fee for doing so - usually as much as getting another domain.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Dec 20, 2018
229 posts
213 upvotes
winnipeg
dillybravo wrote: Any recommendations on who has a good transfer-in deal for .ca domains at the moment?

Funnily enough I saw this promo on Saturday, and the promo code appeared to apply to transfers as well (checkout total $0.88 plus tax). But after checkout I got charged $11.29...
Namecheap,godaddy the big ones , they usually have promotion during festivals like new year/xmas/BF. keep an eye on it during valentine's day
Jan 8, 2011
45 posts
82 upvotes
Montréal
FirstGear wrote: Domains are usually locked for the first 90 days. Then you can. However, the new domain provider usually will charge you another fee for doing so - usually as much as getting another domain.
Yes, but most of them time, the transfer fee can be free of if you buy the next year. So if you are keeping the domain, it's not an extra cost.

You don't really need to transfers a domain unless you consolidate various domains on the same providers. All domain providers will give you possibility to change nameservers, handle updating infos and locking/unlocking/transfers code. That's the only thing a domain name provider has to do.

Sometimes you can have your domain records files there as well, but I don't see the point as you will get much more advantages to use your hosting provider with cpanel.

FYI, the minimum on .CA on renewal is pretty much 9.99/10.99. You can sometimes get cheaper, but it's rare from reputable providers.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1889 posts
2356 upvotes
GTA
I’ve been using baremetal out of Vancouver for 16 years now for my .ca domain. Price is fair and never any issues.
https://baremetal.com/domains/

My last renewal cost $11.95. For some reason, I get 10% off, maybe because I’ve been using them so long?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)