[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4155 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto

web hosting with DNS failover

Hey,

So lets say orderentry.redflagdeals.com is a DNS entry with my web hosted and they are forwarding that entry to a particular public IP. Are there any DNS providers or web hosters that will fail over to a secondary IP address should the public IP go down?

Primary would be 25.25.25.25
secondary could be 70.25.25.26

If first goes down, auto point to a second IP.

Thanks
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2976 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
There are many ways to implement high availability for a website. In this case, you want to look at something called "DNS Round Robin". In short, you'll set up your DNS so that the hostname resolves to both both IPs, and the nameserver will alternate the resolution IP (hence the term Round Robin).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4155 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
Or I could find services like easydns.com which is designed for requests like this.

Thanks anyways
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2976 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
If you already know of a solution, why are you asking for suggestions and then being a jerk about it when someone answers your question?

The service you wrote about is $55 USD / year, only monitors 1 host name and you're at the mercy of their monitoring refraction time, who knows what it will be, since they don't advertise an SLA.

What I suggested is free with any existing DNS provider.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4155 posts
190 upvotes
Toronto
trane0 wrote: If you already know of a solution, why are you asking for suggestions and then being a jerk about it when someone answers your question?

The service you wrote about is $55 USD / year, only monitors 1 host name and you're at the mercy of their monitoring refraction time, who knows what it will be, since they don't advertise an SLA.

What I suggested is free with any existing DNS provider.
I didn't know of a solution, I stumbled upon it via another website after researching your purposed solution.