Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1436 posts
458 upvotes
ON

Webcam for viewing papers

I've been helping/tutoring someone with schoolwork like math for awhile (in person), but we will be a distance apart for the summer and he wants to continue.

We're wanting to do a video chat like Skype/Google, and using webcams to point down on our papers with the math/engineering work. I don't think the online whiteboard things would work and He won't be interested in that, we need to look at the actual assignments and work.

What would you recommend for an inexpensive webcam that would give readable images? A couple I've seen are the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 and Logitech C270, both around $30. We could spend a little more if worthwhile, but not hundreds. Any other suggestions for doing this are welcome!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sprdave wrote: I've been helping/tutoring someone with schoolwork like math for awhile (in person), but we will be a distance apart for the summer and he wants to continue.

We're wanting to do a video chat like Skype/Google, and using webcams to point down on our papers with the math/engineering work. I don't think the online whiteboard things would work and He won't be interested in that, we need to look at the actual assignments and work.

What would you recommend for an inexpensive webcam that would give readable images? A couple I've seen are the Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000 and Logitech C270, both around $30. We could spend a little more if worthwhile, but not hundreds. Any other suggestions for doing this are welcome!
I suggest you not to go that route which is confusing.
A lot of people have a scanner or all in one printer/scanner.
Firstly the tutor scans the teaching material into a long pdf file which is emailed or passed along through Dropbox or Google drive..And all participants can refer to the same paragraph/image of one particular page of the pdf file.
Such pdf file can also be stitched together in a bigger file (say hundred pages) containing all the teaching material of a full course. Very handy indeed.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4315 posts
1992 upvotes
Toronto
sprdave wrote: Any other suggestions for doing this are welcome!
Take images with a smartphone, tablet or scanner. You can send them to each other before, during or after your video chats.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ROYinTO wrote: Take images with a smartphone, tablet or scanner. You can send them to each other before, during or after your video chats.
Same idea like what I mentioned earlier.
Get all images, diagrams, tables, formulas.....into the documents (Oracle Open Office free) . Export that into pdf file of many pages.
Stitch that file into bigger pdf files (from scanned text book or documents ).
Basically pdf file is the unified format (basic building block) for teaching material.
Daniel

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1436 posts
458 upvotes
ON
danieltoronto wrote:
A lot of people have a scanner or all in one printer/scanner.
Firstly the tutor scans the teaching material into a long pdf file which is emailed or passed along through Dropbox or Google drive..And all participants can refer to the same paragraph/image of one particular page of the pdf file.
ROYinTO wrote: Take images with a smartphone, tablet or scanner. You can send them to each other before, during or after your video chats.
The original documents are already on pdf and we both have them to begin. What we're wanting is to somewhat simulate a live experience, particularly me needing to see his work as he does it - live see what he's doing and give instruction as a result, and vice versa so I can show him stuff. Do this with having to send pictures every 15 seconds. It is hard to relay/interact with this material verbally.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sprdave wrote: The original documents are already on pdf and we both have them to begin. What we're wanting is to somewhat simulate a live experience, particularly me needing to see his work as he does it - live see what he's doing and give instruction as a result, and vice versa so I can show him stuff. Do this with having to send pictures every 15 seconds. It is hard to relay/interact with this material verbally.
Ok. I have a better picture of what you would need.
While you have been extensively using pdf file you should get its professional version (Acrobat Pro DC) which allows back and forth amendment and insertion of clause/images/formula/diagrams (e.g. math/engineering work) ..
In your case the tutor will actually monitor the student in another screen with the latter working on the workstation running the program. The tutor can show to the student other stuff in another netbook or tablet what is needed
It is like 2 teams of lawyers negotiating on line by amending complicated terms of a contract (back and forth)
I had Acrobat Professional before and basically it allows you to work, edit and comment in whatever manner you like on a pdf file. The new Acrobat Pro DC is a subscribed service on the cloud. I guess you can try it out too and you do not need to pay for the software upfront.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2697 upvotes
ON
Each get a tablet (the writing pad accessory with pen, though it could also work with fingers on a tablet/touchscreen computer) and do it digitally using a chat or screen sharing program.
Video just complicates it and makes it hard for the remote person to follow.
Digitally, both see the exact same thing on the screen in perfect detail.

Use the acrobat edit/comment features to add handwriting or text over the PDFs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2008
1436 posts
458 upvotes
ON
aqnd wrote: Each get a tablet (the writing pad accessory with pen, though it could also work with fingers on a tablet/touchscreen computer) and do it digitally using a chat or screen sharing program.
Video just complicates it and makes it hard for the remote person to follow.
Digitally, both see the exact same thing on the screen in perfect detail.

Use the acrobat edit/comment features to add handwriting or text over the PDFs.
Do you have an example(s) of a tablet that would work good for this without spending a lot? And program? It wouldn't have to be writing in a pdf file, just a blank "paper" to work out the stuff and for instruction maybe bring up the pdf for reference (screen share maybe).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2697 upvotes
ON
Wacom is "the" brand for this kind of thing, but you could roll the dice on a cheaper, lesser known brand

Cheapest wacom looks like $100
https://www.amazon.ca/Wacom-Intuos-Draw ... 010LHRFM2/

See amazon top sellers in the category for other lesser brands if $100 is too much.
https://www.amazon.ca/Best-Sellers-Elec ... 3341422011

Or if student has a phone/tablet/laptop that is pen enabled, take advantage of that.

I personally would use OneNote for this kind of thing, plus any chat program that enables screen sharing so that you can see what the student sees as they write. We use Skype for business at work for screen sharing, I would assume it's also present in the consumer version, but something to look into.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sprdave wrote: Do you have an example(s) of a tablet that would work good for this without spending a lot? And program? It wouldn't have to be writing in a pdf file, just a blank "paper" to work out the stuff and for instruction maybe bring up the pdf for reference (screen share maybe).
As I said earlier, you cannot write on a pdf file unless if you get the professional software of Acrobat (it is pricey).
But students can use a pc to write on a document (blank or otherwise) under Oracle Open Office (free) . And export the finished product in pdf format.
Also Open Office can open and save in .doc (Word file). And compatibility with the prevalent Word format is not an issue at all.
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2697 upvotes
ON
danieltoronto wrote: As I said earlier, you cannot write on a pdf file unless if you get the professional software of Acrobat (it is pricey).
You can write on a PDF with any acrobat version, even free viewer. Did it all the time in school. If they removed that in newer versions - install an older one.
It has pencil and text comment ability. Not a wide selection, but can still write nonetheless.

As for needing free software, OneNote is included in windows 10 for free (which is news to me - it's on my clean install of windows 10 from two days ago and I haven't installed office yet) and is built for exactly what they intend to use it for - write notes.
Dec 7, 2015
479 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What about remote desktop software? Two people logged into the same machine.
Aug 28, 2005
360 posts
82 upvotes
If going with the graphics tablet route and using Windows (whether external Wacom USB tablets, or laptops/tablets with an active digitizer built-in), you don't have to find an application to write on PDFs. Because your goal is just to write, not necessarily edit PDFs, consider instead "printing" the PDFs to OneNote (or Windows Journal if you re-install it after Microsoft removed it), then use OneNote or Journal to do the writing. These applications come with a virtual printer to import arbitrary documents like PDFs.

I used to take notes in undergrad this way on an earlier Windows Tablet PC - I'd print any PDFs provided by the prof to OneNote (before than, even Agilix GoBinder), then I'd take notes with the pen; the writing experience is great. Then benefit of using a program like OneNote is that if you want to break-out into just a blank sheet to explore a concept that doesn't fit in the margin of the page, it's seamless to do so.