[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2510 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …

Weber Grill Conversion? Safety Concerns

Hi folks,

I have a LP Weber Spirit that's going on 6 years old. It's served me well but I didn't use it at all this summer due to some personal issues. It needs a thorough cleaning, but I expect it's otherwise fine.

Now I've moved into a new house and the previous owners installed a BBQ Gas line which I'd like to take advantage of, mainly for the convenience of not needing to keep refilling the propane tank now that we're in a more rural location.

Unfortunately, Weber no longer sells BBQ conversion kits for their grills. This isn't something I'd like to mess around with myself, so I'm looking for advice from those more knowledgeable.

Are third party conversion kits safe? Is it worth paying someone to convert or is the best option really to buy a whole new grill? These aren't cheap and we're somewhat broke after moving and buying some new furniture so it would likely be next summer before I could afford a replacement.

Thanks!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3027 posts
734 upvotes
i've been trying to find the right orifice for my Genesis the last two years without much success except some USA website, but they wouldn't give exact model number (i guess liability issue), so i gave up on the conversion process.

was considering selling my Genesis and buying a new Genesis II whenever I see those Costco threads, but couldn't bring myself since the Genesis is NA made and they seem to be better quality, had it for 6 years and it excellent condition.
Last edited by rogerrabbit168 on Aug 29th, 2021 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 7, 2006
722 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
While not a Weber, I converted a Napoleon few years back. They didn't offer a kit so I just bought replacement burners and the manifold from Napoleon.

Worked fine for 6 more years till the firebox rotted out (at no fault of the conversion).
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
It's hard to imagine how it could be dangerous. You'd have to be very careless. It's just changing the size of the jets and the regulator.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11958 posts
7125 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: It's hard to imagine how it could be dangerous. You'd have to be very careless. It's just changing the size of the jets and the regulator.
I don’t think NG has a regulator even. It’s just the size of the hole in the orifices. My garage heater was 10 mins to convert.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19448 posts
22565 upvotes
GTA
Jerico wrote: I don’t think NG has a regulator even. It’s just the size of the hole in the orifices. My garage heater was 10 mins to convert.
My converted Weber has a regulator, but maybe it's left over from the propane. I bought mine used, already converted, works great.
You're right though, you shouldn't need a regulator since there's already one at the gas meter, but I could see why factory units would still come with one just to be sure to be at the correct pressure.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
If you're concerned about safety, sell what you have and buy a used gas unit on Kijiji or FB marketplace.

Even if you have to add cash to the deal it's no different than buying a gas conversion kit.

If you find a well priced one you might even pocket some cash in the "trade" as there are less buyers for gas than those buying propane bbqs.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2510 posts
945 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
If these kits are safe and don't require any specialized knowledge to install, can someone recommend one that would work well with a Weber grill? Most of these seem to be manufacturer specific. Thanks for the responses!
gr8dlr wrote: If you're concerned about safety, sell what you have and buy a used gas unit on Kijiji or FB marketplace.

Even if you have to add cash to the deal it's no different than buying a gas conversion kit.

If you find a well priced one you might even pocket some cash in the "trade" as there are less buyers for gas than those buying propane bbqs.
Unfortunately, these don't seem to pop up used very often in my area. I've tried searching over the past month and I've only ever found a single one posted on kijiji in a 50km radius and it was BNIB for more than the overpriced big box stores are selling them for.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
Based on previous threads, my post will be followed by a bunch of doomsayers/conservatives/worrywarts/flamers

Your burners are approximately 12000 BTU each. A propane regulator is set to around 11 inches of water pressure. The corresponding orifice (which is what is currently installed on your BBQ) would be around .043" which is a drill bit #57 or #58. For reference similar to the wire size on a regular small paper clip

Moving to natural gas, you need larger orifices because the pressure regulation is slightly lower and the heating value of the gas is lower. The good news is that you can just drill out the existing orifices. With natural gas in the house generally at 4 to 7 inches of water, the new/drilled orifice will be around .0625 inches which is 1/16" or a drill size #52 or #53. For reference this is about the size of the wire on a large paper clip.

This is science and calculable but it is not critical to the third decimal place. The work itself is just a few minutes. Start off drilling a smaller hole than I indicate and test it out. If not enough gas flow/heat to your satisfaction, move up to at least a drill size #54 (lower number is bigger diameter)

By the way you can buy the orifices at Reliable Parts if you know what to look for. Although Weber don't sell them any more, there are many gas range sellers who have kits of orifices for either natural gas or propane use. For example or another example. In fact many new gas appliance sold come with both sets of orifices. The threads/sizes are fairly standard in the gas industry.

This is information only with all the caveats. Be safe and do what is within your competence.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Dec 25, 2018
812 posts
1668 upvotes
I converted my e335 Weber LP to NG using the kit on BBQ conversions site in US. https://bbqfuelconversions.com/categories Came out a lot more than I expected I think I got dinged duties.

In any case it was pretty easy to do, I did all the orifices. I still called a gas guy to do the final hookup and test. He said the regulator wasn’t needed because our NG is regulated to the house, whilst a lot of places in US do not have any regulated gas

I would say I’m not sure it was worth the $200+ it ended up costing me
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11958 posts
7125 upvotes
Paris
engineered wrote: My converted Weber has a regulator, but maybe it's left over from the propane. I bought mine used, already converted, works great.
You're right though, you shouldn't need a regulator since there's already one at the gas meter, but I could see why factory units would still come with one just to be sure to be at the correct pressure.
My factory NG does not have a regulator. Our cottage LP is plumbed into the 500 pound tank that serves furnace, water heater and fireplaces and regulator is removed for that too.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17987 posts
12680 upvotes
Markham
RandomSanity wrote: If these kits are safe and don't require any specialized knowledge to install, can someone recommend one that would work well with a Weber grill? Most of these seem to be manufacturer specific. Thanks for the responses!

Unfortunately, these don't seem to pop up used very often in my area. I've tried searching over the past month and I've only ever found a single one posted on kijiji in a 50km radius and it was BNIB for more than the overpriced big box stores are selling them for.
You might have to drive to Toronto/ Mississauga... Make a day of it when you're here.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5435 posts
5004 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: My converted Weber has a regulator, but maybe it's left over from the propane. I bought mine used, already converted, works great.
I am in the process of converting my Weber LP to NG - so just to confirm, no regulator is needed? Does that mean only the orifice replacements are needed and a NG hose with quick disconnect?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
chadw01 wrote: I am in the process of converting my Weber LP to NG - so just to confirm, no regulator is needed? Does that mean only the orifice replacements are needed and a NG hose with quick disconnect?

Thanks.
Correct
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5435 posts
5004 upvotes
Toronto
Cough wrote: Correct
Thanks, and where do you buy those orifices?

Looks like I will need four of them - 3 for the burners and 1 for the searer
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
chadw01 wrote: Thanks, and where do you buy those orifices?

Looks like I will need four of them - 3 for the burners and 1 for the searer
See my earlier post. They are basically standard items but your best bet is to find a set sold for a gas stove. Weber dont sell them anymore