Shopping Discussion

Website asking for last 4 digits and name on credit card after purchase... normal practice?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 1:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2010
1254 posts
230 upvotes
Toronto

Website asking for last 4 digits and name on credit card after purchase... normal practice?

I recently made an order on StackSocial, and my card was declined by the payment processor. So I went back, double checked everything, tried again, and it went through.
Later that day I get an email from Stacksocial: "We were recently notified by our payment processor that the charge made for this order may not have been authorized by the cardholder."
They want me to email them a picture of my last 4 digits and name of my credit card to verify it was me who made the purchase.

Is this normal, and more importantly to me, a safe thing to do?
"signature removed for rule violations" Hell ya, that's what we do! 😝
2 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19922 posts
4503 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Seems fishy, why don't you just give them the type of credit card and the phone number of the issuer on the back, so they can contact the issuer to verify it?

A fraudster could provide this information they are requesting and a photoshopped card.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15171 posts
12321 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Before you do anything else... Call them, and talk to their accounts dept.

Any online contact could be phishing... When you initiate the contact thru a landline phone call (for a number you've researched to be true) you are more likely to be secure.

Good rule of thumb whenever dealing with online cc inquiries.