None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville

WeBuyUrRide.com review/experience?

So my wife is selling her car on autotrader and she was contacted by someone from this company called We Buy Ur Ride http://webuyurride.com/

Does anyone have any experience with them? They have a few good reviews but they could be fake.
I figure I'd treat them as any other dealer, but they may be more convenient.
Last edited by engineered on Mar 31st, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1648 posts
995 upvotes
I'm actually kind of interested to hear about this as well...I got a junker to unload
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11798 posts
6104 upvotes
Toronto
When I was trying to sell my car and they contacted me, here is how this played out.

I get a phone call from "Annie" who was interested in buying my car. I hear her. Basically, they tell you that they have someone that wants to buy your car. This person cannot really afford the asking price of normal circumstances therefore these people are trying to get them the car. The fee is at minimum $500. So, whatever your asking price is, tune it up to whatever number they want to make. So, if it's $5000, its now at least $5500. If you are slightly interested, she will have the sales manager call you.

So, the sales guy calls, really cocky type and basically tells you right off the bat that this isn't a scam, but you have to front the fee for them in order to sell the car. So, if your $5500 asking price just went to $4500 because you are fronting the $500. I called it a scam, the sale guys got really pissed at me and asked me to explain how so. Why would I want to pay someone money, $500, upfront to try and sell my car to someone else for $5500 just so I can get my $500 back? From my discussion, this is to secure their services, and there is no promise your car will have a immediate buyer. Bye bye $500.

I understand there are people out there without the means or funds to buy a car privately or through some banks, but come on... There are hundreds of dealers out there that will sell you the skin off their face, just expect the interest rate to be the way I like girls. High teens, early twenties.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 3:28 pm
When I was trying to sell my car and they contacted me, here is how this played out.

I get a phone call from "Annie" who was interested in buying my car. I hear her. Basically, they tell you that they have someone that wants to buy your car. This person cannot really afford the asking price of normal circumstances therefore these people are trying to get them the car. The fee is at minimum $500. So, whatever your asking price is, tune it up to whatever number they want to make. So, if it's $5000, its now at least $5500. If you are slightly interested, she will have the sales manager call you.

So, the sales guy calls, really cocky type and basically tells you right off the bat that this isn't a scam, but you have to front the fee for them in order to sell the car. So, if your $5500 asking price just went to $4500 because you are fronting the $500. I called it a scam, the sale guys got really pissed at me and asked me to explain how so. Why would I want to pay someone money, $500, upfront to try and sell my car to someone else for $5500 just so I can get my $500 back? From my discussion, this is to secure their services, and there is no promise your car will have a immediate buyer. Bye bye $500.

I understand there are people out there without the means or funds to buy a car privately or through some banks, but come on... There are hundreds of dealers out there that will sell you the skin off their face, just expect the interest rate to be the way I like girls. High teens, early twenties.
Wow, thanks. Sounds like a bad deal and different than what their website says. Are you sure it's the same people?

10. Are there any upfront costs to me?
Absolutely not – a certified We Buy Ur Ride inspector will come to your door, and will happily offer you a free inspection with full payment made on the spot.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11798 posts
6104 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote:
Mar 31st, 2017 3:46 pm
Wow, thanks. Sounds like a bad deal and different than what their website says. Are you sure it's the same people?

10. Are there any upfront costs to me?
Absolutely not – a certified We Buy Ur Ride inspector will come to your door, and will happily offer you a free inspection with full payment made on the spot.
If it's a 613 number or the sort, yeah, probably the same folks. Even the website says "I was sceptical" lol. But 100% honesty, I don't know if they are the same group of folks. I get these calls all the time when trying to sell vehicles on Autotrader or Kijiji. I put them in the Nigerian Prince folder.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 21, 2006
316 posts
128 upvotes
sounds like a scam, op please keep us informed.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
Update, we did end up selling to WeBuyUrRide.com
They seem to be a franchise. They came to look at the car and made an offer, which was less than the blue book value but more than the dealer offers. My wife just wanted to make the deal ASAP, so she took the offer since it was still more than what she owed on the car. Transaction went smoothly, no complaints. A day later, they handed over a certified cheque, and drove off using dealer plates. We were worried that they were somehow a scam but they just seem to be looking for deals to resell probably to used car dealers or something.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11798 posts
6104 upvotes
Toronto
Awesome update OP. Mind asking what car you sold?
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
koffey wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 9:53 am
Awesome update OP. Mind asking what car you sold?
Kia Sportage. Like 2 days before the big recall was announced, so good timing, LOL. Though our car has the engine oil pump replaced already. Though the engine oil/bearing issue has been known for almost a year. Wife, through her company, just leased a 2017 Audi Q5 for $460/mo ($517 after fees/taxes), $0 down, 48mo, 60k KM.
Sep 4, 2007
897 posts
305 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 10:34 pm
Update, we did end up selling to WeBuyUrRide.com
They seem to be a franchise. They came to look at the car and made an offer, which was less than the blue book value but more than the dealer offers. My wife just wanted to make the deal ASAP, so she took the offer since it was still more than what she owed on the car. Transaction went smoothly, no complaints. A day later, they handed over a certified cheque, and drove off using dealer plates. We were worried that they were somehow a scam but they just seem to be looking for deals to resell probably to used car dealers or something.
Wow, surprising. So no upfront fees? What about ownership transfer? Bill of sale? Did they ask your for UVIP?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
LyGuy wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 12:11 pm
Wow, surprising. So no upfront fees? What about ownership transfer? Bill of sale? Did they ask your for UVIP?
No fees. They just inspected the car and made an offer, like any other private sale. Pretty sure wife got a UVIP but would have been sold as is as no safety was performed. Owner ship was signed over when certified cheque was received. Car was a 2012 Kia Sportage in very good condition (almost 5 years old).
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2006
1020 posts
498 upvotes
I'm going to be selling a car as is soon. Is a UVIP from seller expected or also car fax? It's a 10 year old CR-V, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1026 posts
371 upvotes
GTA, ON
philharmonic wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 9:48 pm
I'm going to be selling a car as is soon. Is a UVIP from seller expected or also car fax? It's a 10 year old CR-V, so I'm not sure what's appropriate.
Did you mean that you wanted to sell as-is to a private party or to webuyurride.com? If it's the latter, your best option is to call them and ask.

If it's the former, i can give you my opinion (as a recent used car buyer). Carfax is not expected, but the promise of doing safety test (you don't actually have to do it while listing the car online, but you can promise to do it before ownership transfer).

This will go a long way to reassure the buyer that they would not be slapped a big fee after purchase to safety the car. (You can then do the safety a few days before ownership transfer upon receipt of a token deposit from the buyer to show that he/she is committed with the purchase).

edit: just saw that I posted twice...will delete the duplicate post below.
Last edited by wolfpack27616 on Apr 11th, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11798 posts
6104 upvotes
Toronto
philharmonic wrote:
Apr 10th, 2017 9:48 pm
UVIP is mandatory in Ontario when selling and is supplied by the seller.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
If I was buying or selling, I'd be happy to split the safety inspection fee with the other person.