Cell Phones

Wechat on a tablet blacklisted

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2021 10:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 23, 2006
1638 posts
222 upvotes

Wechat on a tablet blacklisted

I bought a sim card and activated it with speakout to register a WeChat account for my grandmother to use on her tablet.

Everything was working fine for a couple of days, then I added some family and friends in China and now her account is blocked for violating terms of service/spam was the message from WeChat. I couldn't unlock it by the instructions provided by WeChat. It had asked her to send in an sms message from the number. Which I did multiple times and it kept saying SMS not received. For anyone familiar with the procedure it was a message like "nu30" to a 201 number.

So I was thinking this might be because she is technically using a tablet and not a phone.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue and what's the solution?

I contacted WeChat from their form and no one ever gets back to me. As a last resort, I got a new number and registered a new account, and the same thing again. She is now blocked again.
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
8 replies
Newbie
May 9, 2019
32 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Is she blocked again after re-adding family and friends or before?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4741 posts
3030 upvotes
LaLaLand
syntex101 wrote: So I was thinking this might be because she is technically using a tablet and not a phone.
I think this is the reason. It should be used on a phone but then use a third party app to use on a tablet if you want to do that. I've tried some of those apps and they seem sketchy.

If I do use it on a secondary device it is on a MacBook but there is an app created by WeChat for that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 23, 2006
1638 posts
222 upvotes
thunit wrote: Is she blocked again after re-adding family and friends or before?
After readding one particular family member lols
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
Newbie
May 9, 2019
32 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
batcave wrote: I think this is the reason. It should be used on a phone [...]
I disagree. I am using WeChat on tablets only for several years without problem. FYI, it was on Asus Nexus 7 tablet then now on Lenovo M8 tablet, all bought in Canada.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
4741 posts
3030 upvotes
LaLaLand
thunit wrote: I disagree. I am using WeChat on tablets only for several years without problem. FYI, it was on Asus Nexus 7 tablet then now on Lenovo M8 tablet, all bought in Canada.
Interesting. Do you use it exclusively on the tablet or can you use it both on the tablet and phone simultaneously? I would like to be able to use it simultaneously on both devices. My phone would have to be my primary device because I use WeChat Pay.
Newbie
May 9, 2019
32 posts
9 upvotes
Montreal, QC
batcave wrote: Interesting. Do you use it exclusively on the tablet or can you use it both on the tablet and phone simultaneously? I would like to be able to use it simultaneously on both devices. My phone would have to be my primary device because I use WeChat Pay.
I have attempted to use simultaneously on 2 tablets and on 1 phone + 1 tablet, but WeChat prevents logging in simultaneously on more than one device.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2004
3978 posts
889 upvotes
Mississauga
thunit wrote: I have attempted to use simultaneously on 2 tablets and on 1 phone + 1 tablet, but WeChat prevents logging in simultaneously on more than one device.
Supposedly works on iphone + ipad but I have none of it so cannot verify.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1926 posts
946 upvotes
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for that. But thank you for letting everyone know about this potential risk. Looks like WeChat should only be used on phones and only one device.

Top