Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
20 replies
May 28, 2012
11230 posts
3437 upvotes
Saskatoon
Could be Siberian Squill...not a weed but if you want to get rid of them, dig them up (it's a small bulb) and make sure the flower doesn't go to seed. As far as I know, it's not horribly invasive but then I live in a colder zone.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
More pictures
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
Apr 29, 2007
641 posts
313 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Glory of the snow
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2317 posts
1023 upvotes
Edmonton
smartie wrote: Should i kill them?
No, I let mine spread throughout a flower bed, looks gorgeous in the spring and then dies back.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
walleye*guy wrote: No, I let mine spread throughout a flower bed, looks gorgeous in the spring and then dies back.
Ok

If it's not pretty, i will come back to scream at you:)

Just kidding ! and thanks you all!
May 28, 2012
11230 posts
3437 upvotes
Saskatoon
smartie wrote: Ok

If it's not pretty, i will come back to scream at you:)

Just kidding ! and thanks you all!
Glory of the Snow is a Squill. Like a lot of other Spring flowering plants, resist the urge to clean up the foliage as soon as it finishes flowering. It needs to save energy in the bulb for next year's bloom.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
Mars2012 wrote: Glory of the Snow is a Squill. Like a lot of other Spring flowering plants, resist the urge to clean up the foliage as soon as it finishes flowering. It needs to save energy in the bulb for next year's bloom.
Sorry , no knowledge on gardening. What does that mean? Remove them or keep them?
May 28, 2012
11230 posts
3437 upvotes
Saskatoon
smartie wrote: Sorry , no knowledge on gardening. What does that mean? Remove them or keep them?
If you want to keep them, leave them alone. Since it's naturalized in the grass, if you cut it all the way down, it might not give you flowers next year. If you don't want them on your lawn, you can dig them up and replant them somewhere else. Do this after they are finished blooming. The bulbs are quite small.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5118 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Sorry , no knowledge on gardening. What does that mean? Remove them or keep them?
If you want to keep them, then keep them.

These are sold as spring bulbs (same as tulips). They sprout and flower in the spring. After flowers gone, the leaves will stay for a while to regenerate the bulbs (underground, think carrots/potatoes). Then the leaves die back and they basically go dormant in summer and over winter, until spring.

https://www.brecksbulbs.ca/product/Early-Snow-Glories
https://www.google.com/search?safe=off& ... 0&bih=1298
Last edited by boyohboy on Apr 7th, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
boyohboy wrote: If you want to keep them, then keep them.

These are sold as spring bulbs (same as tulips). They sprout and flower in the spring. After flowers gone, the leaves will stay for a while to regenerate the bulbs (underground, think carrots/potatoes). Then the leaves die back and they basically go dormant in summer and over winter, until spring.
Thanks

So if I want to remove them, when is the best time
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
Btw, I don't even know how i got them in my yard
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1060 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Thanks

After they are finished blooming....only you can determine that
JS
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5118 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Thanks

Any time I guess... before they die back once summer starts anyway.
Feb 26, 2019
434 posts
380 upvotes
Ottawa
I have these. They are the first green thing to pop up in the spring. I leave them because I’m happy to see something green and growing early in April (late March, even).

By the time you get May and the grass is coming in, these will have disappeared and been forgotten. Their bulbs are well below the grass roots, and will not out compete your lawn.

Leave them and enjoy them. They’re flowers, not weeds!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15969 posts
13218 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There is a long list of Spring Bulbs that produce early flowers
Tulips are the most known ... and in most places in Canada flower in May
But there are plenty of others
Starting with the earliest varieties that will pop up even before the snow cover is entirely gone

https://www.thespruce.com/the-earliest- ... ng-4767428

What you have is nice
But personally my favourites are the early crocuses (see the 5th pic in the link)
I just love the joy they bring peeking out from under the snow

As others have said ... their lifespan is extremely short (the butterflies of the plant world)

Enjoy them while you can

They’ll require little to no maintenance
Though I agree best to not cut back their tops after flowering so the bulb can build some energy for next year
But they will reward & delight you early Spring each year
(That is as long as the Squirrels don’t dig them up)
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 8th, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9559 posts
4758 upvotes
Markham
dottawat wrote: I have these. They are the first green thing to pop up in the spring. I leave them because I’m happy to see something green and growing early in April (late March, even).

By the time you get May and the grass is coming in, these will have disappeared and been forgotten. Their bulbs are well below the grass roots, and will not out compete your lawn.

Leave them and enjoy them. They’re flowers, not weeds!
PointsHubby wrote: There is a long list of Spring Bulbs that produce early flowers
Tulips are the most known ... and in most places in Canada flower in May
But there are plenty of others
Starting with the earliest varieties that will pop up even before the snow cover is entirely gone

https://www.thespruce.com/the-earliest- ... ng-4767428

What you have is nice
But personally my favourites are the early crocuses (see the 5th pic in the link)
I just live the joy they bring peeking out from under the snow

As others have said ... their lifespan is extremely short (the butterflies of the plant world)

Enjoy them while you can

They’ll require little to no maintenance
Though I agree best to not cut back their tops after flowering so the bulb can build some energy for next year
But they will reward & delight you early Spring each year
(That is as long as the Squirrels don’t dig them up)
Thanks! Then I leave as is.

Need a well maintained lawn ( my neighbourhood's unspoken rule), so don't want others feel so many "weed" in my yard

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5118 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Thanks! Then I leave as is.

Need a well maintained lawn ( my neighbourhood's unspoken rule), so don't want others feel so many "weed" in my yard

Thanks
Good choice!

Flowering bulbs are nice, and easy to grow. I add more every year. Only difficulty in "growing" them is how to avoid them squirrels digging and eating the bulbs..