Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
666 posts
207 upvotes
Central Ontario

Weed or Perennial?

Tried posting on ask me anything thread but no replies. Can anyone identify this plant? Can't remember whether it's a perennial I transplanted last year or a fairly nice looking weed that has taken root. No flowering or buds yet and slow growing (hasn't increased in size much in 3 weeks)? Thanks!
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4755 posts
5884 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it a herb? Does it have any smell when you rub the leaves? Almost looks like a rosemary or greek oregano.
Mar 13, 2012
337 posts
93 upvotes
Sarnia
Or if the leaves are fuzzy, hairy, could be a weed or wild plant, galium aparine, aka cleavers, sticky willy, velcro plant.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
666 posts
207 upvotes
Central Ontario
Nope, no smell. Leaves are smooth with a little sheen. Any other ideas?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1549 posts
659 upvotes
is golden rod, not very desirable - I took a second look, not so sure now
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
I can't tell either... but my go-to website for plant ID is this one: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal You'll get an answer within a few hours, usually. But you need to say where you live to help with the identification, since they have people posting from all over the world.
Apr 14, 2015
580 posts
174 upvotes
Tsuu T'Ina, AB
I have seen some weeds grown to a truly impressive size by people wanting to know what they would turn out to be. If you follow that method, don't let it go to seed or you (and your neighbours) will get to know it too well, haha.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1882 upvotes
Space
Looks like a weed of some kind. I'd pull it out :D
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
1440 posts
143 upvotes
GTA
resembles Rosemary but def not rosemary..id pull
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1472 posts
571 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
It looks like lavender or Bachelor's buttons. Wrt growing, if its lavender, its slow growing and you won't notice much difference in a few weeks. Bachelor's buttons grow quite quickly. Leave it in as its a bit too early for either one of these to be blooming just yet.
[OP]
Jan 14, 2010
666 posts
207 upvotes
Central Ontario
Okay, thank you all! ;)
Ottawa Gardener the Gardenweb site suggested aster or goldenrod; when I look up pics of those though the leaves don't really match. I'll take a chance... stay tuned!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3687 posts
2641 upvotes
Toronto
Try burning it and see if it gives off a distinct smell :D
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
933 upvotes
Newmarket
it looks like french tarragon, but if the leaves don't have fantastic anise smell and flavour, it's not french tarragon.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3462 posts
1221 upvotes
Ottawa
cocodc wrote: Okay, thank you all! ;)
Ottawa Gardener the Gardenweb site suggested aster or goldenrod; when I look up pics of those though the leaves don't really match. I'll take a chance... stay tuned!
I see that. I wonder if they meant Gray Goldenrod, which has a different leaves https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/f ... -goldenrod.

I'd be curious enough to wait to see how it flowers! Definitely report back if you do. It doesn't look like anything terribly invasive, given its upright and not spreading growth habit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5706 posts
1882 upvotes
Space
Looks like some kind of ragweed. Could also be a wildflower of some type but I'd bet on it being a weed.