[Epic Games] Weekly Free Mystery Game - Control - Until June 17

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2021 3:26 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35195 posts
4327 upvotes
Winnipeg
epic giving away so much free stuff they gonna go bankrupt?
Jul 13, 2013
934 posts
715 upvotes
For those struggling with the sudden difficulty spikes, there's a way to adjust the damage enemies inflict sort of hidden within the settings menu. I never used it and wasn't aware of it after attempting certain parts over and over. It's a testament to how invested I was in the game/story that I didn't just quit (despite being close). Love this game, reminds me a bit of X-Files/Fringe.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8548 posts
5437 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: epic giving away so much free stuff they gonna go bankrupt?
I'm sure they gave Remedy a decent bag but it was probably pocket change for them. Control wasn't a big hit to begin with and was "free" on PS+ and Game Pass for a while already so this was just the next logical stop for it.
Aug 7, 2003
648 posts
56 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Sure, let's trust the projections of the company in a bitter lawsuit with Epic. Face With Tears Of Joy
Then trust the CEO himself
While Apple claims that the figure is a loss, Epic CEO Tim Sweeney confirmed on Twitter that he considers it a "fantastic investment into growing the business."
Tim Sweeney@TimSweeneyEpic· Apr 10
That’s right! And it has proven to be a fantastic success in reaching gamers with great games and a fantastic investment into growing the business!
Quote Tweet IGN@IGN · Apr 10
Epic is set to lose at least $330 million in its battle to gain market share from Steam, mainly due to it offering exclusive games and free titles on its Epic Games Store. https://bit.ly/3sdU8EE

Tim Sweeney@TimSweeney Epic· Apr 10
Apple spins this as “losing money”, but spending now in order to build a great, profitable business in the future is exactly what investment is! It’s equally true whether you’re building a factory, a store, or a game.
If I could go back in time, I would change this signature!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5440 posts
3546 upvotes
Toronto
Loco wrote: Then trust the CEO himself
I don't doubt EGS is losing money. But there is a difference between losing money and projecting the store to lose money for another 6 years, from someone who has reason to try to make Epic look like as bad as possible.
Sep 27, 2015
75 posts
86 upvotes
Is control better with controller or mouse and keyboard?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
4038 posts
1884 upvotes
BC
Abba116 wrote: Is control better with controller or mouse and keyboard?
I played with M&KB no problem
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2301 posts
1451 upvotes
Wasp14 wrote: For those struggling with the sudden difficulty spikes, there's a way to adjust the damage enemies inflict sort of hidden within the settings menu. I never used it and wasn't aware of it after attempting certain parts over and over. It's a testament to how invested I was in the game/story that I didn't just quit (despite being close). Love this game, reminds me a bit of X-Files/Fringe.
There is?!

I really enjoyed the game despite all of the frustration…however I wish I knew this earlier!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9410 posts
3928 upvotes
divx wrote: epic giving away so much free stuff they gonna go bankrupt?
- Chinese conglomerate Tencent owns a 40%, almost controlling stake of Epic Games. Tencent ($50 billion) has more net worth than Sony ($40 billion) but not Nintendo ($95 billion), or Microsoft obviously ($1 Trillion)
-Fortnite is the most profitable game two years in a row (brought in a combined 9.1 Billion US dollars over the last two years)
- Epic Games Store is in the loss leader phase and is losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year buying or paying for exclusives.
- Epic Games paid GearBox 130 million for 6 months of exclusivity on Borderlands 3 on PC, just to keep it off Steam for 6 months.
Jul 13, 2013
934 posts
715 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote: There is?!

I really enjoyed the game despite all of the frustration…however I wish I knew this earlier!
I know! Apparently it was added in a free update around the release of the AWE expansion, so it wasn’t available at launch. It lets you tailor several aspects of the game to your liking including reducing enemy damage etc. https://www.destructoid.com/controls-fr ... off-dying/
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35195 posts
4327 upvotes
Winnipeg
XFactor11 wrote: - Chinese conglomerate Tencent owns a 40%, almost controlling stake of Epic Games. Tencent ($50 billion) has more net worth than Sony ($40 billion) but not Nintendo ($95 billion), or Microsoft obviously ($1 Trillion)
-Fortnite is the most profitable game two years in a row (brought in a combined 9.1 Billion US dollars over the last two years)
- Epic Games Store is in the loss leader phase and is losing hundreds of millions of dollars a year buying or paying for exclusives.
- Epic Games paid GearBox 130 million for 6 months of exclusivity on Borderlands 3 on PC, just to keep it off Steam for 6 months.
is borderland 3 worth playing? i played the 1st and 2nd one
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1727 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto
Loco wrote: Then trust the CEO himself
It's not unusual. Just look at Netflix, Tesla, etc. The idea is to build the trench now and profit later.
Apr 7, 2011
817 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
Abba116 wrote: Is control better with controller or mouse and keyboard?
It's personal preference.

The only time I use a controller is for 2D games.
I can never play 3D games using controllers because it's hard to shoot stuff in 3D using a controller, but some people do that just fine.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2300 posts
1214 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: is borderland 3 worth playing? i played the 1st and 2nd one
If you don't mind very cringe humour. Cringe as in 'room full of 40 something writers trying to figure out what the kids are into these days and failing' humour. If you tune out everything else but the shooting and looting, it's a very good game.
Bored...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2301 posts
1451 upvotes
Wasp14 wrote: I know! Apparently it was added in a free update around the release of the AWE expansion, so it wasn’t available at launch. It lets you tailor several aspects of the game to your liking including reducing enemy damage etc. https://www.destructoid.com/controls-fr ... off-dying/
These are literally my complaints, from that article.

One of the most rampant complaints about Control was the punitive checkpointing. Long, difficult boss encounters have to be one-shotted, as there are no mid-fight saves. Adding insult to injury, dying and retrying often requires a protracted jaunt all the way back to the boss.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2301 posts
1451 upvotes
divx wrote: is borderland 3 worth playing? i played the 1st and 2nd one
I liked it quite a bit. But I’m the target audience here as I also liked the first 2 (3?).
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35195 posts
4327 upvotes
Winnipeg
Alexandero2 wrote: It's not unusual. Just look at Netflix, Tesla, etc. The idea is to build the trench now and profit later.
having massively unprofitable company with skyrocketing stock prices is a recent phenomenon, investors in the old days cares about profitability.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3701 posts
742 upvotes
Andrew4Life wrote: It's personal preference.

The only time I use a controller is for 2D games.
I can never play 3D games using controllers because it's hard to shoot stuff in 3D using a controller, but some people do that just fine.
Fallen Jedi is amazing with a controller but......... that's also bc a light saber doesn't require the precision of a shooter.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
1727 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: having massively unprofitable company with skyrocketing stock prices is a recent phenomenon, investors in the old days cares about profitability.
The topic was business strategy. We weren't talking about stock prices and I agree that there's a disconnect in fundamental vs perceived value on stock prices, but that is actually nothing new and has been going on for quite some time (i.e. dialogue / commentary / debate as to why stock prices deviate from their underlying fundamentals for decades now) and will continue to be while you can speculate in a market.

Back on topic, it is not unusual for a company to run at a loss for several years in order to gain market share and influence, after which, you see the strategy change. Whether or not that will pay off for each of the companies mentioned is a whole other story. Examples of failed cases could be Target in Canada, soon to be Stadia, several Google initiatives, etc. Examples of successful cases would be pre-boom Amazon and Walmart in China.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2434 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote: having massively unprofitable company with skyrocketing stock prices is a recent phenomenon, investors in the old days cares about profitability.
EPIC is not one of those companies. Fortnite, EGS and all this drama is new and borne from their attempt to expand; their core business has always been engine tech and they are way ahead of the competitors and still getting better. EGS probably came about from their success in getting people to adopt their engine(s) and the lessons they learnt through that endeavor. If they want to become profitable, sorry if tim sweeny wants to make money all he has to do is stop offering free stuff and back off on EGS which they can do at any time.